Alright guys, recommend me some SKA! (maybe a little raggae)

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

I wanna know some interesting SKA bands to get into. I don't care what sect of ska, which wave, or how many tones just don't tell me one of the following bands as I already know them:

Reel Big Fish

Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Streetlight Manifesto

Catch 22

Toasters

Jackie Mittoo

Specials

Bad Manners

Mustard Plug

Skankin Pickle

Goldfinger

So tell me some ska bands that are not these. I know this thread is about 16 years late. I like raggae too, name some folks that don't end in "marley."

My thanks in advance.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ska came in three waves.

For original ska, start with The Skatellites and Prince Buster.

For the English stuff (all that 2Tone stuff), Madness, The Specials (also called The Special A.K.A.), The Selecter, The Bodysnatchers, sometimes The Beat did ska (called The English Beat in the US). You'll also hear The Clash doing ska quite a bit. Ska was closely associated with a sort of youth-driven social movement in those days. Times were tough and the rude boys were anything but.

Plenty of others posting "third wave" suggestions here... (US ska from the late '90s and later).

• Members

I used to be really into that stuff a long, long time ago, the only thing I still listen to is the first English Beat album and the second Specials album (which isn't really ska). The first Fishbone EP was a huge deal at the time but I lost my copy like 23 years ago.

I still listen to a lot of Rock Steady and early Reggae; there are about 800,000 good comps, as far as bands go The Pioneers, Paragons, Tennors, Melodians, Prince Buster (his ska stuff is good too but I like the slightly later stuff), Alton Ellis, U-Roy, and on and on, personally I don't like the 70's roots reggae or most dub stuff, although I think that's what most reggae fans like. I like the stuff from like 65-70 and some of the dancehall stuff from the 80's to today (Yellowman, Lone Ranger, Sister Nancy, Smiley Culture, Lady Saw...). There's a series of comps called "100% Dynamite", "200% Dynamite", etc. that covers mostly cool stuff from all the various eras.

Otherwise when buying comps in a genre like that I like to stick to label comps or ones that focus on one producer, that way you're less likely to end up with 7 copies of "The Tide is High", so Trojan, Studio One, Treasure Isle, Joe Gibbs, Lee Perry...

I don't know how helpful that is, I don't have any particular ska recommendations, I'm not familiar with the modern stuff and for the Jamaican stuff there are a ton of comps and they can be pretty hit or miss.

• Members

Dude...start at The Specials, for sure. Oh and Madness...yes, Madness!

I'll ponder this and recommend more later, but if you can possible track down a early 90's California band called "Ocean 11", get that {censored}. In fact, if you PM me your e-mail, I may be able to hook you up. They only did one full length and it was called "The good, the bad and the ugly".

Let's Go Bowling!

Archived