Speaker Upgrade Recommendation Requested

JohnPW

• Members

I aquired an older Tech 21 Trademark 60 amp that has a Fender speaker (I think it came from a HRD). Was thinking about replacing it with a Celestion Seventy 80 speaker (like the newer models come with). Any other speakers you think I should consider.

Thanks!

• Members

Actually..... I like Celestion speakers much better than Eminence.

They all sound great on cleans to me.

But, for me, Eminences sound muddy and harsh on overdrive tones whereas the Celestions (especially Vintage 30's) have much cleaner crisper non-harsh highs... yet they still get the deep lows and growly mids.

But that's just for me. As always.... YMMV.

I tried the Eminence Texas Heat and Governor in my Peavey Classic 30 and I didn't like them at all. Once I put in a Celestion Vintage 30, my search had ended.

• Members

Actually..... I like Celestion speakers much better than Eminence.

They all sound great on cleans to me.

But, for me, Eminences sound muddy and harsh on overdrive tones whereas the Celestions (especially Vintage 30's) have much cleaner crisper
non-harsh highs
... yet they still get the deep lows and growly mids.

But that's just for me. As always.... YMMV.

I tried the Eminence Texas Heat and Governor in my Peavey Classic 30 and I didn't like them at all. Once I put in a Celestion Vintage 30, my search had ended.

:confused:

Vintage 30's piercingly harsh upper-midrange push is legendary, it's why it is such a polarizing speaker that has as many critics as fans. Massive ear fatigue from V30's for me. What you call "crisper" many of us consider bright and piercing. I'll take a Greenback or Lead 80 over them any day; many boutique builders like to mix V30's with one or the other to balance out and get the best of both.

As for the OP, the Seventy80 is the stock speaker. I have limited experience with Trademarks, I've only played other people's TM's; a few of them tried other speakers and ended up back with the stock speaker. I believe they found the Seventy80's were rather colorless and neutral sounding whereas the others all colored the tone to favor one channel over another. Since the Trademark is based around Tech 21's analog amp simulation it would make sense that a neutral speaker would let the sim shine, thought I haven't a clue it the TM has any speaker sim built in.

• Members

I've had Vintage 30s in about 4 or 5 different amps and while they were always an improvement over stock speakers, usually Blue Marvels or a lesser Celestion, I was definitely never happy with their clean tones. I've had three Weber Signatures that I prefer for cleans over the Vintage 30s.

To the OP... the Seventy 80 isn't my first choice for cleans or with gain, but ti covers a lot of ground pretty well. The Seventy 80 isn't a very good value when purchased new, but if you can get one used, sometimes you can get them for a steal. Something around $35 would be great. Much more than that and I'd just ante up for something from Weber or Warehouse Speakers.

I play mostly clean and with low gain and for something around the $100 point, I really like the Weber Blue Dog and the Silver Bell. Lots of bottom end that can be dialed back in if you desire... lots of chime, lots of bite with low to medium gain. I'd probably go for something different if high gain is your main thing though.

• Members

i guess it kinda depends on what amp yer pushing it with....i'm not crazy about the "vintage" type speakers.....they break up too much.....i want the "break up" to happen in the tubes...not on the cone......and when they heat up about 2 sets in...they loose a lot of clairty and get kinda mushy.....for me, i like a speaker that can take the watts and have a decent bottom end.....i've got several amps/cab's with Electro-Voice EVM-12L speakers in them and i've been using them for decades now:thu:

edit: i do remember that i had a 4x12 cab back in the 80's that i loaded with two EV's and 2 Celestion 70's.....THAT had a pretty darn good tone....lows, mids and not to bitey upper mids and projected well......if yer gonna run a multi speaker cab....consider one of each (2x12) or two of each (4x12) of what ever two you like the best.

• Members

I bought a used TM60 about 10 years ago someone had put a Celestion in: bad idea. thought I could work it out with eq. Wrong! I suppose you could find a speaker that is near the stock, but why? I ended up ordering a stock speaker and then it sounded right. Stock speaker is made for that amp and it's quirks.

• Members

as I told someone else in another thread recently I have the 70/80 in my Crate V15 tube amp and I love it.

I was going to change it out because of it's "budget" rep...but then came across this vid..

[YOUTUBE]jWK0sa7tlfI[/YOUTUBE]

And since I didn't find ANY of these speakers were much better than the 70/80 I've left it in and totally stopped looking.

• Members

I bought a used TM60 about 10 years ago someone had put a Celestion in: bad idea. thought I could work it out with eq. Wrong! I suppose you could find a speaker that is near the stock, but why? I ended up ordering a stock speaker and then it sounded right. Stock speaker is made for that amp and it's quirks.

The stock speaker for the TM60 is a Celestion 70/80, at least currently.

From the tech 21 product page:

Speaker (1x12) Celestion

• Members

And since I didn't find ANY of these speakers were much better than the 70/80 I've left it in and totally stopped looking.

Wow the Tone Tubby's sound like crap there. The 70/80 sounds better with leads than rhythm. The Tonker sounds decent which makes me question this because i got a set of tonkers and they were by far the worst speakers i have ever played, id rather have Rocket 50s.

• Members

Wow the Tone Tubby's sound like crap there. The 70/80 sounds better with leads than rhythm. The Tonker sounds decent which makes me question this because i got a set of tonkers and they were by far the worst speakers i have ever played, id rather have Rocket 50s.

I think I've read that the TTs require a bit more break in time. Not sure. Hemp.

On the Tonker, it actually struck me as being one of the worse sounding in that vid. But I'll have to watch that vid several more time. What often sounded "not so good" to my ears on the lead often sounded pretty cool at the end when he bangs the final chord.

But thanks for posting that vid. I'd seen it before but had lost complete track of it. I've got it bookmarked in faves now, and now that I'm set up for WiFi, I'll be able to play it on my HT system. :cool:

Archived