Anyone use a small amp sim to practice?

boosh

• Members

I want to use my spare time to practise guitar in the livingroom. Just a guitar , a small gadget with a Bassman simulator and some sort of delay and a pair of headphones.

What should I go for? Line 6 pod2? Or something else?

• Members

I want to use my spare time to practise guitar in the livingroom. Just a guitar , a small gadget with a Bassman simulator and some sort of delay and a pair of headphones.

What should I go for? Line 6 pod2? Or something else?

I'm partial to the min-amps...the little cheapo 1watt types. Of course, a lot of the tone is those little speakers being driven hard, so I can't vouch for the headphone.

I've been kinda wanting the same, but for trying some different tones for easy recording. :snax:

• Members

I often use a Boss GT-10 connected to a Boss DB-90 metronome. There are cheaper devices. I used to have a Ross unit with reverb, delay, and overdrive many years ago. It ran on batteries so portability was great.

In terms of software you have plenty of options as well:

Overloud just released TH2 and it's on sale at 40% off. I believe the sale ends tomorrow.

AudioMidi has the POD Farm for $30, and the upgrade to POD Farm 2 is free (iLok version, I believe). I don't know if you could ask them to just send you the serial number to avoid shipping.

Waves GTR Solo was free for a year. They may still have that offer.

For practicing, probably my favorite would be Guitar Rig, since it has a "tape deck" and you can play along with the track your practicing, slow it down, speed it up, overdub, etc.

Overloud TH2 is supposed to have a looper. I have not found it. I've read that some of the new content is going to be available soon, but I don't know when.

I got a few Amplitube versions for free, but don't recall where I got those promos. Very limited, but good enough for practicing.

• Members

Honestly I like to play electric guitar unplugged when I'm sitting in my easy chair in the front room but otherwise I like to use Amplitube or POD Farm. Of course you need the computer there for those (and Line 6 hardware for POD Farm) but to keep it real simple, like it sounds you want to do, I'd get one of the little plastic Digitech multi-effects like an RP-50 or similar.

• Members

Well the problem is ,... Rizzo will be sitting next to me so a 1 watt mini amp doesn't do the trick.

My main style is Rockabilly so I really would like the Bassman and the delay on my guitarsound.

I've been looking at the Line-6 Pod2.

My Amps are in the studio and I have software too but there's no PC in the livingroom. I just need a guitar with a small device and my headphones.

Something like the Pod2 seems what I need but i was wondering if there are more thingies like that in the same price-range.

• Members

I don't know about alternatives to that, but the Pods would work out well since they also have effects.

Yeah I thought so too. I'm thinking of actually trying out one tomorrow and maybe even bring it home for myself as a Christmas present.

I have this old Danny Gatton vid and I need to get thos riffs in my fingers.

• Members

The Pocket Pod looks like it would do it. $129 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-99-075-0105-Pocket-POD/dp/B000RN53LQ/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_a

32 Amp Models, 16 Cab Models -- Mix and Match amps and cabs to create your own unique sound

16 Effects -- Built-in in set of effects that are tweaked to perfection

Amps and Cabs

Pocket POD

• Members

I don't recall if the Yamaha DG Stomp had a headphone output. I know one of the Magic Stomps added one, but I don't know if those had amp simulation. It's been years since I had mine. The sound quality was great on those Yamaha units.

• Moderators

Use anything that doesn't make you sound great. Then have something else that sounds great. Practice so your hack rig sounds good. Then learn to own the orgasm you're creating with your primo rig.

Pete, Jimmy, Billy... and many others can make a small rig rock and a big rig cream you. In that order.

• Members

Use
anything
that doesn't make you sound great. Then have something else that sounds great. Practice so your hack rig sounds good. Then learn to
own
the orgasm you're creating with your primo rig.

Pete, Jimmy, Billy... and many others can make a small rig rock and a big rig
cream
you. In that order.

:rawk:

• Members

I had a POD and literally threw it in the trash. I never tried to sell it, the thought that someone else would create ugly sound with it really bothered me so I trashed it.

The only guitar sim I actually did like the sound of (if I had to choose between two evils) was a Zoom. I was looking on the Sweetwater site for you but don`t see it, its actually an older unit so I would think/hope at this point that the sound has improved even more. Anyway, this Zoom had almost the same shape a Fender Strat body and it was blue. I did a session with a band once, the guitarist gave me the plug and just told me to plug it in and that was it.... his sound actually sat quite well with the drums and bass, I hardly had to treat it. So if anything... the Zoom seems to be a good starting point.

For the record, I eventually replaced the POD (Piece of... still trying to figure out how to use the "D") with this baby!

• Members

That looks nice! I have one of these little danelectro amps :

danelectro_n30.jpg

Very cool thingy but it has no effects and I prefer something very tiny in the livingroom.

I just came back from the MusicShop and got me one of the ZOOM's.

The one with the pedal.

For now the search is over. It has all I need!

Sound is great and very versatile.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Archived