Les Paul Jr Special at MF

fuzztone

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah I know...that Fuzztone is something else, I kind of feel like the guy who gets sloppy seconds:facepalm:

Anyway because of Fuzztone I'm getting a heritage cherry LP Jr Special "cheap"

Haha,thanks man,I am glad I could help.

[YOUTUBE]ivLw77vU_N8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Bob Marley's guitar was an early 70's "Les Paul Junior Special"

Krashpad is right.

In the '70's RI was merely called Les Paul Special, as it was supposed to be called. I'm flipping through the catalogs right now. Early '70's models had small trapezoids, later '70's models had dots (by the late '70's double cut versions were available as well).

The early-/mid-'90's RI was also only called Les Paul Special. Single cuts had P-100's and double cuts had P-90's. Believe it or not, in '97 P-90's were so out of fashion, that Gibson didn't have a single production P-90/100 guitar in their line-up, instead they offered the Les Paul Special equipped with (gasp!) humbuckers. Then before the end of the century, they reintroduced the P-100 flattop LP, but to avoid confusion with the HB model, they invented the name "Les Paul Junior Special," beginning what would become a trend of Gibson bastardizing their long established lineages.

• Members

hey fuzztone..did you see a tv yellow version of that model at GC?

No,they are all sold out:

"We're sorry, but Gibson Les Paul Junior Special Single-Cutaway Electric Guitar is sold out at this time, or is no longer available. For more information please contact customer service."

Musician's Friend is getting some in January

• Members
Wait...there are 3 different Les Paul specials? these 2 at GC

Satin finish

Gloss Finish

and
this one at MF?

Interesting, because the satin finish you posted clearly states, "Guitar Center Exclusive." They must be making 4 because here's a satin finish recently sold new by Wildwood.

121400555_f.jpg121400555_bf.jpg

Note the back contour, I'll be interested to see if yours has the same!

• Members
Interesting, because the satin finish you posted clearly states, "Guitar Center Exclusive." They must be making 4 because here's a satin finish recently sold new by Wildwood.

121400555_f.jpg121400555_bf.jpg

Note the back contour, I'll be interested to see if yours has the same!

Your right,that one is different from the one at GC.The satin on at GC had binding on the neck.

• Members

I think it's interesting that Gibson isn't officially offering a Historic LP Special right now. I mean, that doesn't stop them, they make R4's all the time and that has been an official model for years.

Sigh...now THAT is TV Yellow...
LPSpecialCA05a.jpg

• Members
I think it's interesting that Gibson isn't officially offering a
Historic
LP Special right now. I mean, that doesn't stop them, they make R4's all the time and that has been an official model for years.

LPSpecialCA05a.jpg

I agree with you on that. I've looked at them on line and they make my heart go pitter pat. :love: And I also agree with the comment above that you would get a better select piece of wood with the Custom Shop models (although I like the two production run LP Juniors I have, I can also tell just by the feel/weight that they aren't grabbing the best select slabs - but they still sound pretty nice), but every time I look at the simplicity of their build with a price tag in the mid to uppper $2000s I get that :eek: feeling.

Another option - Collings 290.

1.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg
4.jpg

You can't visit the Collings shop in the outskirts of Austin without traveling through the Texas hill country on Highway 290. Named after this highway, the 290 boasts amazing versatility in it's tonal spectrum. Fit with two hand-wound P90 pickups from Jason Lollar, the 290 is a modern day tribute to the original working man's rock'n roll guitar.

Features Include:

* Solid Honduran Mahogany Body
* High Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish
* East Indian Rosewood Fingerboard
* Ebony Peghead Veneer
* Grained Ivoroid Dot Fingerboard Inlays
* Amber or Black Top Hat Knobs
* Custom P90-style Pickups by Jason Lollar
* Hand Set Mortise and Tenon Neck Joint
* 24 7/8" Scale Length
* 50's Style Wiring
* 12" Fingerboard Radius
* Tone Pros Bridge and Tailpiece
* Gotoh SG301 Tuners with Vintage-Style Buttons

about the same price as the Gibson Custom Shop models.

But even though I believe the Collings is probably a better guitar, there's something about that Gibson, I guess just the details of design, that grab me more.

• Members
I think it's interesting that Gibson isn't officially offering a
Historic
LP Special right now. I mean, that doesn't stop them, they make R4's all the time and that has been an official model for years.

LPSpecialCA05a.jpg

Beautiful!

Here is the the Les Paul Special that Wildwood sells

lpspecialcherry_1312_7.jpg

lpspecialcherry_1312_6.jpg

lpspecialcherry_1312_5.jpg

lpspecialcherry_1312_2.jpg

• Members

Love the Collings, also love the Koll Glide Jr. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a used Korina Koll Glide for $1K in 2000...the real bitch...the Tom Holmes PU's it had stock now cost almost 2/3 of the price of the guitar.

Used Historic Specials usually cost less than $2K, And Juniors? Well, I have my eye on one of a couple of used TV Yellow Historic Juniors that are around for $1500. If I sell the Tweed Deluxe in a couple of weeks (I have an offer), I might grab one...or a '79 Antigua Strat.

• Members
Here is the the Les Paul Special that Wildwood sells

lpspecialcherry_1312_7.jpg

lpspecialcherry_1312_2.jpg

I actually like that. Even though the fadeds aren't quite as much the "eye candy", I have to admit that I like their feel. I have a faded SG, the VM, a Joan Jett, a dual MM, the '50s Tribute and a Blue Mist SG Special that all have a similar satin faded finish and I actually feel a bit more comfortable with that finish. It feels less fragile and it doesn't take long at all for the back of the necks to get a bit of a worn in slick feeling going for them.

How much?

Archived