which parts of the guitar affect tone the most?

Mossy Moss

• Members

Different materials make a difference too.

Different materials of string? If so then yea I agree. Also flatwounds vs. roundwounds...either way I was just saying strings do make a huge difference. Completely overshadowing any kind of effect swapping body woods would do.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Different materials of string? If so then yea I agree. Also flatwounds vs. roundwounds...either way I was just saying strings do make a huge difference. Completely overshadowing any kind of effect swapping body woods would do.

Yup, that's what I was getting at. :thu:

• Members

pickups - most important.

strings - meaningless.

electronics - important, but as long as they work, they're fine.

bridge/tremolo combo (or just bridge sans tremolo) - Mostly meaningless as long as everything is working properly.

body wood - almost meaningless.. Body wood, or more specifically the density of the body wood, has more to do with sustain than tone on a solidbody guitar.

fretboard wood - purely visual and feel.

nut - Very important, as long as you're playing open strings.. Once you fret it, the nut doesn't exist.

headstock - A nice headstock sounds better than an ugly one.

tuners - Long as they work, they mean nothing.

neck/body joint - More of an ergonomic issue than anything.

see to me strings have as dramatic effect on tone as pickups, if not more so

• Members

absolutely. just string materials makes a huge difference. i have a semihollow jazz guitar, going from sd chrome flatwounds to thomastik flats was a huge dramatic change

• Members

absolutely. just string materials makes a huge difference. i have a semihollow jazz guitar, going from sd chrome flatwounds to thomastik flats was a
huge
dramatic change

Yea, but you gotta admit switching to nylon strings wouldn't change the tone at all.

• Members

I disagree completely. By your way of thinking a lucite guitar should sound pretty much the same as say, a swamp ash bodied guitar if all else is the same. No way. There's considerable difference even between swamp ash and alder for example.

Not really. There was a post on here a few weeks ago of a video of some guy testing the exact same Strat, one with an alder body, and one with a swamp ash body. Everything else was the same, pickups, eletronics, bridge, amp settings, etc. They pretty much sounded the same. Im not saying there is no difference at all, but I would not call it considerable.

• Members

I'd say the biggest factors are the pickups and the design of the guitar: bolt-on vs set neck vs string thru AND solid body vs semi-hollow vs full hollow.

I have no doubt that body wood, neck wood, fretboard, bridge design etc etc all play some role in the sound of th guitar, but somehow I think that if you put CS54 pickups on a Les Paul, it would sound a lot more like a strat than like a Les Paul.

On the other hand, I can't imagine going from a Tusq nut to a Graphtech nut is going to make a radical difference in terms of pure tone. And I can't imagine if you replace just the maple fretboard on a strat with a rosewood fretboard on the same guitar it's going to completely transform the tone.

:idk:

• Members

Wow... I'm really surprised at how many people feel the electronics makes a bigger difference than strings.

If you go from GHS Boomers to DAddario Chrome Flatwounds... well... I can guarantee you that is a tremendous difference if you play through a Fender or a Vox amp.

• Members

Yeah, I think scale is #2 behind the pickups

That's funny, I did some comparison between my 30" scale and my 25.5, it's a big size difference but the sound was the same. Strings were the same tension the way they were set up.

In the poll my vote was body wood, but I don't know if it's that or the wood as a whole really, the total weight is a factor. A light body like my light ash guitar sound closer to a hollowbody to me.

• Members

That's funny, I did some comparison between my 30" scale and my 25.5, it's a big size difference but the sound was the same. Strings were the same tension the way they were set up.

I agree. When I got my first 24 & 3/4" conversion I put it on I didn't hear a difference from the 25.5" it replaced. Both maple/rw.

But this is only a 3/4" difference and that won't be noticeable. Just don't tell my girlfriend that.

• Members

re: my strings are meaningless comment.. I meant string brand. Like one brand of 9-42 nickel is going to be 99.9% the same as another brand of 9-42 nickel. Flatwounds, SS, Elixirs, bigger or smaller gauge yeah, they do sound different.

In that case I agree. Unless there is something fundamentally different about the core or winding design , but that just affects the bottom three.

• Members

pickups are everything.

you can bolt a strat neck to a toilet seat....and if you screw a really nice humbucker on there.....it'll sound good.....trust me....i've actually done this.

but if you put a crappy pickup in a Jeff Beck Oxblood reissue....it'll sound like crap.....even if it DID cost $25,000

• Members

If you have a 30" scale and a 25.5" scale and they are both tuned to standard pitch, they will have different string tensions.

Simple physics.

Archived