Do you use a power conditioner?

cvogue

• Members

I'm thinking about getting one, non-rack mounted.

My amp (Peavey Ultra 120 plus) seems to be sensitive to crappy power coming in (lots of hum that dissipates if certain things are tunred off, lights etc..). It's not my guitars (PRS CE 24 and Les Paul).

Any suggestions for an inexpensive power conditioner? I've seen a few on MF that are basically power strips with some extra processing in them (Furman makes one and Monster does too).

Thanks for any insight :thu:

• Members

I don't use one, but it's not a bad thing to have just in case.

Not sure what product to get either, but I've done some reading on the subject and I suggest getting something that not only has noise filters but has some voltage regulation capabilities.

• Members

Speaking of which, anyone try these Hum-X adaptors?

They're pricey, but if they work I might get a couple.

486172.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ebtech-Hum-X-Hum-Exterminator?sku=150452

P.S. As I read more about these, if I'm getting the picture right, it seems like you have to put the Hum-X on the power cord of the device that's causing the problem rather than on the cord of the device (like an amp) where you want clean power. Is that correct?

• Members

I was using rack gear for years and years until one day I decided to go pedals and heads...(big mistake in my eyes as I'm now back to rack), but even when I did I got one of the Furman "powerstrip" style conditioners. I wouldn't go without one in any rig.

• Members

i have a furman in my rack that i am very happy with, not sure what the best brand is for non rack units but ive never heard anyone complain about furman.

which model do you have. They seem to have about 30 options that fall under the power conditioner category.

• Members

I was using rack gear for years and years until one day I decided to go pedals and heads...(big mistake in my eyes as I'm now back to rack), but even when I did I got one of the Furman "powerstrip" style conditioners. I wouldn't go without one in any rig.

I should probably try some of the Fuhrman gear. I had a $300 conditioning Monster outlet strip that worked well until it died a howling death (used it on my HT system), and I've tried this little guy

460277.jpg

though while cheaper, doesn't seem to do a damn. :p

• Members

which model do you have. They seem to have about 30 options that fall under the power conditioner category.

you know i am not sure, ive had it for years and am not at home so i cant check. it has the two pull out lights in front and about 8-10 adapters in back. i know its not the cheapest one they make but not the most expensive either. i love it, my rig has very little hum even with loads of gain.

• Members

you know i am not sure, ive had it for years and am not at home so i cant check. it has the two pull out lights in front and about 8-10 adapters in back. i know its not the cheapest one they make but not the most expensive either.

This look about right? I was considering that one.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Furman-PL8C-Power-Conditioner?sku=500823

• Members

This look about right? I was considering that one.

Yeah i dont think they make my model anymore but that is pretty much exactly the same, about what i remember paying too. mine doesnt have the jack in the front but other than that pretty much the same.

• Members

Yup. That's why I suggested one with voltage regulation.

Any recommendations? I ask because my apartment building has lousy power, and I've even tried a Furman SPB-8 pedalboard to no avail.. not any better than any other surge protector powerstrip. And I'm sure it's my building, my rig is a lot more quiet when I take it other peoples houses.

I even tried an outlet tester at my place and it's saying my whole place has an open neutral.. (Jeez I should just move)

So I'm guessing that I need a true, total power conditioner - one that essentially remakes the power - and my impression is that there are units like that out there, and they are $$$.. But I can't even seem to find many options to begin with. And I don't even know if that would improve things..

• Members

Speaking of which, anyone try these Hum-X adaptors?

They're pricey, but if they work I might get a couple.

486172.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ebtech-Hum-X-Hum-Exterminator?sku=150452

P.S. As I read more about these, if I'm getting the picture right, it seems like you have to put the Hum-X on the power cord of the device that's causing the problem rather than on the cord of the device (like an amp) where you want clean power. Is that correct?

I tried one at a noisy practice pad and it didn't do crap. It doesn't remove some noise.

Archived