SX guitars

mobass

• Members

Are these guitars any good? My dad is left handed and wants to learn guitar, but doesn't want to spend a lot of money right now. He found a SX guitar pack with amp,tuner,etc. for $119. Would it even be worth it, and is it at least playable?

• Members

IN before the idiots who've never touched one play armchair expert and just repeat what others have told them.

IN before the corksniffers.

Now. If you want an opinion from someone who actually owns one and has played it a lot, keep reading. I have one. I've played it a lot. I also have played Strats and Teles from Squier Bullets to Squiers to Squier Affinitys on up to basic Strats and Teles. I also have played the Epiphone LP Junior, and LP Special II.

I'll take my SX SST over the aforementioned "low end" Strats and Teles and a comparable SX LP style over the similar Epis any day of the week. Their build quality is better, they play smoother and don't believe what the uninformed who have never owned one say about the hardware. Those guys are going by the guys who wrote reviews on the guitars, slamming the hardware, because they spent $130 for a guitar, expecting the hardware to be on par with a guitar that costs 10x that amount ($1300 for those keeping score).

If you expect that kind of hardware on a $130 guitar, you might want to take a look in your mirror and play "find the dumbass." I'm not saying it's a cheap piece of crap, either. What you do get is a damn good bargain. The only thing I've changed out in my SX SST (Strat style) so far is the pots. The stock ones weren't bad. I just like quarter-sized pots and I like my own soldering work. Call me a solder sniffer. I'm okay with that.

I don't usually recommend the kits because they're totally beginner guitars, but if your pop's a total beginner, then why not. They aren't that different - pickguard is single ply and I think the tuners are different, but you can't beat the deal at all. Plus, hell, $120 for everything. If he really gets interested and wants something better later, that's easy.

• Members

I've owned a couple. As Katillac said, as long as you are expecting the quality and playability of a $130 guitar you should be happy. In stock form they are playable and serviceable. I would personally choose a Squier over a SX, but it is pretty hard to find left handed Squiers, or any other lefty guitars in that price range. A good professional setup can make them into pretty decent players.

• Members

I think they're okay, but there's something about them I don't care for. The couple I've owned felt cheap. I'm a big fan of agiles and have no qualms about recommending those. SX are as good as the very basic entry level squiers, but no better. If you need a guitar you could do a lot worse.

• Members

Katillac and Stormin pretty much covered it, so I'll just reinforce some and add my $0.02. The SXes tend to have necks on the chubby side (I like chubby), for a beginner it probably won't matter much, but if later he decides he likes thinner necks, he'll have to change brands or look for an Ash series SX.

I agree that there is not much difference in the pack guitars and the regular ones (basically tuners and pickguard as already stated) and the most important aspect of how well they play is setup. Having your first guitar professionally set up can make a big difference in how you enjoy learning to play from the start. But if you are going to continue to buy value guitars (as I do) you will want to learn to do them yourself (to include an occasional fret level). You may have to buy a few tools, but it's definitely cheaper in the long run.

One more thing, the stock strings have varied in quality, and they seem to have gotten better of late, but I still would advise replacing the stock strings after the setup.

Tell your father to enjoy playaing! :thu:

• Members

I agree that the hardware is what you would expect from a $130 guitar. I actually kept the tuners on all of mine and just changed the nut to a tusq to help with tuning stability. I played a 4 hour gig with the stock tuners and only had to retune once about 1/2 way through..

The saddles are the only other thing I don't like and I try to change if i can. Pots work, but they are generic dime sized and I like alpha and cts better.

• Members

As long as you understand you are not going to get Custom Shop quality, they are very good guitars for the money. I have an SX SST Fat that is a great guitar. The necks are great, fairly flat and had jumbo frets. I changed the tuners to a set of GFS locking tuners (because I like how quick they make string changes) and have left everything else stock.

They are a great modding platform and great for beginners because of the price. They are in dire need of a setup out of the box.

• Members

Your probably better off with a Xaviere For $50.00 more. It 's a much better guitar.

I disagree, but without any explanation as to why, ^this statement is useless. :poke:

What I will agree to is, you will get Alnico warmth with the Xaviere, but that is all (and yes, I have a Xaviere, it's just not in my sig, and I'm still deciding whether or not to keep it).

• Members

They don't come in left handed. The nice thing about Rondo is they really cater to leftys.. few other brands have that many left handed models.

This is the most important point. Rondo makes left-handed guitars. My question is, "Is dad going to play left-handed?" I ask because I am a lefty but I play right handed. Has he actually held a guitar? What feels best to him? I remember when I was starting out my brother actually restrung an old acoustic of his to lefty and I tried it. It didn't feel right to me so I restrung it and played righty.

• Members

The Agiles I've owned have been nice, but I haven't been especially impressed with the Fender-style lineup from SX. The bodies were heavy and dead, the necks were orange, the fretwork wasn't great and the hardware was junk. They were functional, sure, but unless I was looking for a thick neck at a rock-bottom price point, I'd prefer a Squier probably 4 times out of 5. No experience with their Gibson-style offerings.

• Members

OP:

I think post #6 answers post #20.

I have yet to get a lemon from SX, but some people do expect $1k quality from them, that just aint gonna happen. Expect the quality you would find on a guitar in the $100-$400 range.

• Members

This is the most important point.
Rondo makes left-handed guitars
. My question is, "
Is dad going to play left-handed?
" I ask because I am a lefty but I play right handed. Has he actually held a guitar? What feels best to him? I remember when I was starting out my brother actually restrung an old acoustic of his to lefty and I tried it. It didn't feel right to me so I restrung it and played righty.

I second this. I'm a lefty that plays righty and my son and daughter are lefty's that play righty.

• Members

I dont think so. Been a few yrs since I saw any in stores used dept. They where all very poor qaulity with poor fretwork etc. The agile line from rondo is significantly better. Sx have been regarded as fixer uppers for long time. If a person wants to spend the time and money to make them good players thats fine. But theres so many excellent inexpensive guitars right out of the box that Id never reccomend sx to anyone. The few agiles Ive seen where on par with other $300 (internet store prices not list) guitars however.

• Members

Yeah, I've got the SX SST 57. Decent enough guitar. I'd personally put my Squier Affinity tele a notch above it though. As mentioned, the pots and switches need to be replaced. Tone is ok but as mentioned, it get what you pay for. I put it side by side with a MIM Fender strat and while I don't know about the neck pocket, the body shape was spot on between the two. Even the color (vintage white).

Crappy photo but you get the idea

stratcomparison-vi.jpg

Archived