Is there a "warmer" Gibson 500T out there?

fragglerick

• Members

There are tons of pickups that sound better than the 500T.

Preference is in the ears of the beholder so I will only guide.

Alnico II pickups are the sweetest for known common pickups with the new kid on the block Alnico 8 stated as being even sweeter, then Alnico V and not hardly Ceramic.

Try this first though - drop the pickup away from the strings and you'll find it sweetens up somewhat

• Members

I've read that you can swap alnico magnets into a 500T to warm it up. Some people really seem to like this mod. I have a 500T in the bridge of my Gibson MIII...lots of snarl and bite. I think it can sound a bit dark and thin at times. It's not my favorite sound, but it can certainly work for Metal.

• Members

I really like the Rio Grande BBQ. It's a darker distortion pickup that gets some really pretty cleans, but sounds incredible when you wind it up. Crank it through an old Marshall and it's instant ZZ Top. Try it through a more modern amp and it'll bring the brootalz.

• Members

I really like the Gibson 500T but I wish it was just a little warmer. (I suspect the lack of warmth is caused by the ceramic magnet)

Is there a pup out there that has the output and "hotness" of the 500T but is warmer?

The 500T isnt warm enough for you? :confused: What guitar you have it in?

I suggest trying the Duncan Invader and/or the EMG 85 if you want something thats high output and warm... or you know, try adjusting your tone knob :p

• Members

First thing since you have a 500T already is try swapping an Alnico 8 in place of the thicker Ceramic in there now. You can also try it with or without the side magnets which may warm it up. I'd try the 500T with:

1) the stock thicker ceramic magnet with no side magnets

2) regular sized ceramic instead of the thicker one, as keep in the side ceramics

3) regular sized ceramic no side magnets

4) Alnico 8 with side magnets

5) Alnico 8 without side magnets

6) Alnico 5 with side magnets

7) Alnico 5 no side magnets

• Members

Whoa, now I've used bridge pickups in neck positions before, actually I'm running my Gibson like that. But neck pickups in the bridge? I thought neck pickups were made to sound less thick/bassy to compensate for the string response in that position...

So wouldn't that sound even twangier and brighter than the 500?

• Members

The 500T isnt warm enough for you?
:confused:
What guitar you have it in?

My question also... I have one in my Gibson Les Paul Classic, and it sounds very warm to me. I actually wish it was a little brighter.

Someone suggested a Duncan JB - I don't really agree with that. I have one in a different Les Paul, and while the output is comparable to the 500T, the JB has a lot of mid-range honk. That doesn't translate to warmth, to my ears.

• Members

I've got an SD Alt 8 in a chambered Les Paul with an ebony fretboard and it's very hot and plenty warm. Great for any kind of rock, if you're using the right amp at least.

Is the Alt 8 really a warm pick up ?

I have minimal experience with this pick up. I know they are HOT (great amount of out put) but are they warm sounding ?

Better check up on this unit too.

• Members

WOW . . . i never thought of Burstbucker Pro bridge to be a warm puck up . . . better go and listen again to it.

Is the Alt 8 really a warm pick up ?

I have minimal experience with this pick up. I know they are HOT (great amount of out put) but are they warm sounding ?

Better check up on this unit too.

I mean, it ain't the warmest pickup in the pile, but it definitely has some warmth and low end. I love mine.

• Members

Worth a try for sure. I got it just out of curiosity and the need for a hot HB, I remain pleased. I'll add that I didn't care for it in my strat, but it's perfect for my LP.

AHhhhhh, great !

Thanx for the heads up.

When i tired a JB in my old LP, it sounded soooo thin and icy cold.

Gonna see what the Alt 8 can do for me.

I want a 'bucker to really push my lil Marshall Class 5.

Archived