Best guitars for country other than Tele-type guitars?

Mossy Moss

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The t-60 shouldn't go unnoticed though

I have a couple t-60s and they are my go-to country twang guitars. I have a white one a rosewoood FB and GFS memphis retrotrons strung with 11s and it out-tele's a tele any day of the week. I think solid bodies give the snap I associate with country. That is jerry reed country, though. I have a hollowbody with p-90s that gets a sweet roy clark country sound.

• Members

A gretsch of some sort would do the job very well. Either filertrons or dearmonds do great country twang.

I agree with this poster, other than some strats, and squires, I would go with this, I could recommend hundreds of acoustics so this is a little harder.

• Members

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1967_Gibson_ES-125_TDC_060831.jpg

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/4601007/George+Thorogood++The+Destroyers+GT+1.jpg

With a little bit of luck, you can still get these 125's for under 2K used !

Like a complete idiot, i turned my back on a 2006 model w an asking price of $1100.00 (in mint cond)

Just see/listen what George Thorogood can do with an ES-125.

• Members

SG Classic?

Edit: I'm also going to say a Raw Power SG. I was a long time Tele player and I have to say the Raw Power really reminds me of a Tele with the way it responds; it has a maple neck and fretboard along with its maple body, so it makes sense. It is also outfitted with 57 pickups, so it has a bright, mid gain sound and the notes ping like a Tele if you want them to. Mine looks like this, but I put nickel covers over the pups to mellow them out a little more:

593083.jpg

And in case you're wondering, these are much nicer guitars than the SG Specials.

Archived