Best guitars for country other than Tele-type guitars?

Mossy Moss

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most any low gain pickup will get you in country territory, it's all about how you play the guitar.

Chet Atkins - Gretsch sig w. Filtertrons, Gibson sig with 57 Classics

Wayne Moss - Fender Jazzmaster

Grady Martin - PAF-loaded ES-335

Scotty Moore (okay, not country but rockabilly) - ES-295 with P-90's, Super 400 with PAF's

Steve Wariner - EMG-loaded Strat

Hank Garland - Gibson Byrdland

Keith Urban - Gibson Les Paul Junior

You get the idea. But yeah, the Tele is the standard for damn good reason.

• Members

Wow, toughie.. How about a Strat?

Yeah.

I play country and have a Tele and a Strat. I actually like my Strat for country, a lot. You can still get plenty of twang in the bridge position, but you also have a warmth that you don't get with the Tele.

Besides Fenders, I am seriously GASing for a Reverend.

• Members

Honestly, I can play great country on my lipstick pickup guitars. Also my Fender Jaguar HH - the black one Made in Japan. Those pickups have SO much treble in them... makes for some awesome tones. Sure its a shorter scale... sure they are humbuckers... just sayin'.

0259200306v1_hi-4bf6755b0a8a136c65154cca

• Members

I'm familiar with Chet Atkins of course and his Filtertron equipped Gretsches. Any examples of a great dearmond gretsch tone? Are dearmonds twangier than filtertrons?

Duane Eddy got his twang from DeArmonds. I love this tone. It's twangy and snappy, but it also has that big hollow body sound.

[video=youtube;fm3G26dgXWg]

• Members

I'm with the Johnny Hiland model as well, I was at the PRS Experience for the 1st and 3rd years, JH is a beast! Its probably one of the most versatile guitars PRS has ever made, or at least the way JH played it.

[video=youtube;bYkv5mcqevw]

[video=youtube;sMDVRQ_SvGo]

• Members

I play contemporary and classic country (in Nashville, where all of the critics are...) and get compliments on my playing/ sound along with my singing/ songs all the time. I'm playing a Les Paul Custom, a Les Paul GT with P- 90s, a 335, 3 different strats and, of course, a tele. I think the most common guitar for all of my bug- timing buddies backing major label acts is the Les Paul. My 2 cents my be useless.

• Members

I'd say beyond the obvious, i.e. strat, I'd echo that
just about anything with P-90 pickups
will give you the classic country cut with a bit more snarl for that more modern country sound. Or of course, drop the gain for a bit more of the rockabilly tone.

This

An example - I saw Emmylou Harris years ago, before the Lanois stuff, and her guitar player sounded dead on country on a LP Junior

Archived