Practice Tube Combo Advice

acefreely

• Members

Hi all...

Haven't been on these forums in a while, since my son was born I stopped playing guitar...4 years later I am getting back into it. At least my account still works...

So I've got a guitar which a just f-ing love, a Schecter Hellraiser C-1. It makes me want to play it every day :-)

But when I play it through my (please don't bash I know it's not the best at anything but it does a lot of things OK) Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt combo it just doesn't do it for me. I've messed with the settings and I'm pretty much decided it's the amp. It can get close to those sounds I want, but it doesn't give me that hair raising bite that I so desire.

My buddy has a Blackstar head and cab and my Hellraiser just sounds so good through it, which is what I am looking for. I plugged into the HT-5 combo at the local shop and I was impressed with the sound, it really had that bite that only comes from tubes.

So I love everything about the HT-5 except the $389 price tag. I am willing to pay it, but if there is something else in a low watt practice tube amp that I am missing I'd appreciate the advice. I've been scouring the 'net for the last couple of weeks reading and listening to everything I can find. I've ruled out the AC4 and the little Epi as the lack of controls kinda limits what I can do out of the box. I haven't tried the Jet City 20 watt combo and it sounds good in some clips, but 20 watts is overkill for a guy with a family that usually practices after the kids are in bed. Besides, that HT-5 is PLENTY loud enough for me...

Anything I'm missing? Is there a little tube amp out there that's a diamond in the rough and easy on the pocket book?

Thanks all,

Ace

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not sure what you're looking for in tone, but I would check out the Super Champ XD. I've had one at home for about 2 years and still haven't found much to complain about. It's not perfect, but it's about as close to it as anything I know about. Mine's been re-tubed and had the spkr swapped, but they're great right out of the box.

• Members

Try a Fender Mustang if you need something quiet that sounds good. Cheap too, $99.

Thanks, good suggestion but I'd like to go the tube route this time. I've had several small combo amps, but never a tube amp. If I don't get one this time around I won't be happy. Really that HT-5 is calling my name and will probably be mine in the next month or so, unless I can find something that sounds as good, tube wise, for less...

• Members

Not sure what you're looking for in tone, but I would check out the Super Champ XD. I've had one at home for about 2 years and still haven't found much to complain about. It's not perfect, but it's about as close to it as anything I know about. Mine's been re-tubed and had the spkr swapped, but they're great right out of the box.

I like that British crunch sound of the older Marshal amps, so that's what I am looking for. I've read several good reviews on the Super Champ XD and I need to try one out. I was just thinking because it was a Fender it would have more of that tweed sound.

• Members

Just watched a video review of the Super Champ XD. Didn't realize it had so many tone options built in...good suggestion. How does it sound at lower volumes?

• Members

You turn up tube amps to make them sound good.

Even a five watter gets loud.

But if you insit you need one: crate palomino v8

The Crate looks like it has potential; probably a good platform for some mods. Problem is I can't seem to find any around here to test out. I don't like buying from the 'bay or site unseen, so that ones probably out of contention...

• Members

The Crate looks like it has potential; probably a good platform for some mods. Problem is I can't seem to find any around here to test out. I don't like buying from the 'bay or site unseen, so that ones probably out of contention...

I don't believe those have been produced for a number of years, so you're not going to find one except on CL, etc. As far as the other choices go, if you find $390 too steep then you've only really got a couple of choices: Fender Super Champ (as mentioned before), the Vox AC4, the Epiphone Valve Jr., and the Bugera V5 are the only ones that come immediately to mind that would likely fit your specs. None of these are particularly hard to find, so it should be relatively simple to try them all out before you decide.

• Members

If used is ok, Peavey Bravo is an awesome little amp. $250 and way better than most of what you are looking at. And it sounds great at low levels.12" spkr is highly recommended. Tons of preamp gain so you can get as dirty as you want at living room level. And the spring long tank reverb is excellent, as well as the clean tones.

I love mine.

• Members

Honestly, I've tried almost all of the sub $300 tube amps and while they serve A purpose, none of them sound very full to me. Most of the 4 to 5W amps only sound like a proper amp when really cranked. The Champ 600 does a nice warm tone, but I've never liked the fizzy, overly-saturated cranked tone it puts out and it's certainly not versatile at all. The AC4 does sound like a small Vox both clean and when cranked up, but it's also the opposite of versatile. Of course, neither of those would likely make a metal-oriented guy happy anyway.

The Bugera V5 is a middle of the road amp, within the realm of the sub $300 jobbies. It can play loud and clean and it can play quite and gainy, but neither of them sound very good compared to the better modelers in my opinion. I really just don't think any of the cheap single power tube amps sound as complex as the more mid-line tube amps do for cleans or low gain tones and none of the small amps can offer any weight behind them which, for me, is a requirement for any sort of heavy tones, even at low volumes. All of them have owners that are very happy with the results, but those owners probably have a very specific goal for the amp.

The Super Champ has some good tones in it, both cleans and gain tones. But it's still pretty small and whimpy. I've never owned one, but I probably have 10 hours in playing them on several occasions and in many ways, I'm pretty happy with it and I'm sure I could live with it as my only amp, esp with upgraded tubes and an upgraded speaker or better yet, a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet for when I want to play with real volume. That little 10" just can't really hang with even most entry level 12" speakers, let alone a good 12" speaker.

The Line 6 stuff is pretty... uh... it's pretty bad. I actually recently bought a Spider II 75W for my oldest daughter that recently switched from playing bass to playing guitar. It's definitely good enough for her and the crunch rhythm tones aren't. Actually I think they are pretty decent. Plus it's loud enough for a middle school and many high school gigs, but I think it's at its best with the volume towards the bottom but for a discerning ear, it's pretty unrewarding as you mentioned.

I've never played the 5W Blackstar and I've never played any of the Jet City amps. They are certainly worth looking into, but from the words you are using, I almost get the feeling you are completely set on the idea than almost any tube amp is the cure for your ills and I just don't think that's a good idea to have... at least not in regards to a low powered practice amp. My advice would be to try to put off buying something until you've had more time to play with the usual suspects so to speak... Of course the Blackstar will probably sound better than your Line 6 Spider and that's exactly why I'd hold off on buying it just yet until you can check out some other options.

Good luck man. Be sure to report back what else you find.

• Members

Egnater Rebel 20 or Rebel 30 combos. Both have attenuators that let you dial in the amp from 5 watts to maximum. Gives you best of both worlds. Also, the new Fender Champ (not the Super Champ), or Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue (which I have).

• Members

I have a bunch of small amps and this is my favorite for low volume practice. For $149, it's hard to beat. Don't expect raunchy overdrive without some help from a good pedal. It has the requisite beautiful Fender crystalline cleans perfect for when everyone else has gone to bed. Don't expect it to get very loud. You can't gig with it unless you mic it.

472261.jpg

This one sounds great but only when you crank it, and then it's too loud for the bedroom, even at the 1/4 watt setting. $250 or $199 for the 8" version.

592872.jpg

These are ultra cool for blues. Nasty ass overdrive, no cleans whatsoever. $79.

637570.jpg

This is an old amp that I bought in the '90's. It's a solid oak VC508. Killer selection of tones from fat to scooped. Not much cleans. Someone else posted an update of this thing.

crate1.jpg

Beyond that, my small amps get pricey, but I will say that a 12 watt Fender Tweed Deluxe with an attenuator makes a very satisfying practice amp. Here's my favorite practice duo at the moment:-)

teledeluxe1.jpg

• Members

First, let me make sure I have the facts straight.

You're looking for a small, inexpensive tube amp. You're into a higher gain metal sort of tone. Correct?

Most of the small inexpensive tube amps on the market (and most that have been suggested in this thread) don't really do high gain. They're low to mid gain amps, and many don't even have a gain control. (ie you have to crank them for power tube distortion.) I think you're only true choice is the HT-5 you've already played. If you don't mind the higher wattage of the Jet City combo, it would be an excellent choice for only $299. JCA also has a lower power (one watt head I think???) coming on the market soon. The Vox AC4, Epi Valve Jr, Marshall Class 5, Fender Champion 600, etc probably won't get you where you want to go and will just leave you frustrated.

Good luck with your search.

Edit -- JCA's Picovalve is a 5 watt head and is based on the THD UniValve design, so I assume it's not a high gainer either.

• Members

Yeah, it's above the OP's price range, but I've come to think the 5E3 is the perfect single amp for almost everything. Maybe not high gain because of the flabby bottom end, and not oodles and oodles of truly clean headroom, but unless you're in a surf band most of us don't really need that much headroom. I play mine with someone sleeping in the next room several days a week.

• Members

First, let me make sure I have the facts straight.

You're looking for a small, inexpensive tube amp. You're into a higher gain metal sort of tone. Correct?

Most of the small inexpensive tube amps on the market (and most that have been suggested in this thread) don't really do high gain. They're low to mid gain amps, and many don't even have a gain control. (ie you have to crank them for power tube distortion.) I think you're only true choice is the HT-5 you've already played. If you don't mind the higher wattage of the Jet City combo, it would be an excellent choice for only $299. JCA also has a lower power (one watt head I think???) coming on the market soon. The Vox AC4, Epi Valve Jr, Marshall Class 5, Fender Champion 600, etc probably won't get you where you want to go and will just leave you frustrated.

Good luck with your search.

Edit -- JCA's Picovalve is a 5 watt head and is based on the THD UniValve design, so I assume it's not a high gainer either.

Vox AC4 has tons of gain and is modern voiced. Crate VC508 is a very high gain amp that gets well into metal territory. Not sure about the current equivalent. Any amp with a Tonebone Hot Brit or Plexitube is instant Marshall--very aggressive.

Another rig that I have for modern high gain is the Krank Rev. Jr. but the head goes for >$500.

• Members

Vox AC4 has tons of gain and is modern voiced. Crate VC508 is a very high gain amp that gets well into metal territory. Not sure about the current equivalent. Any amp with a Tonebone Hot Brit or Plexitube is instant Marshall--very aggressive.

Another rig that I have for modern high gain is the Krank Rev. Jr. but the head goes for >$500.

I guess it's all relative. I had a Crate Palomino (admittedly the V16, not the V8) and didn't consider it good for anything other than clean up to moderate driven tones, definitely not a metal amp. The AC4 I tried didn't seem very aggressive to me either. Maybe I should give them another shot before discounting them. :idk:

• Members

I think you should look at more solid state amps. Tube amps are great, but for playing while the kids are asleep I dont know if your going to find one that quiet that still gives you the gain and tone. They sound best when turned up. I live in an apartment and needed a high gain amp that wouldnt be too loud and have the Peavey vypyr . I love the tones I can get from it, especially the high gain tones. SS amps are getting better and better and are hard to beat for low volume high gain sounds. I just think you didnt give them a chance.

Archived