Epiphone Wilshire - Black Pickguard

Woody_in_MN

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've had Wilshire Gas for a while now.

That neck joint has to be a long tenon running into the first pickup cavity.

2 frets of wood do not a strong neck make!

Like I say. Time will tell. I'm happy so far. If I end up with cosmetic stress line - I will not care much about that. There is always Epiphone life time warranty to fall back on.

- w

• Members

^^^

Follow the link for a review and short demo.

http://www.80srockphotos.com/fcWebApp/review-epiphone-wilshire-reissue-2008.php

BTW - I played it again tonight - mainly to see if it was staying in tune - which it was. And I still really, really like it. The fret board size is about perfect for me, it is light, and resonant.

- w

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I JUST GOT THE WILSHIRE TOO AND THINK THE BLACK LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT PAINTS TO USE AND WHERE TO GET THEM PLEASE? THIS IS MY GIRST TIME DOING IT AND REALLY DONT WANT TO RUIN THE GUITAR. BTW HOW DO YOU LIKE THE GUITAR? THANKS

• Members

I've had one of the newer Wilshires for a couple years now. I got it when Music123 first got them. I also have an original '66 that I purchased in '66. The neck joints are fine on both. Yes the neck flexes a little, but I've never had a problem.

I did replace the electronics on the new one. I had a set of GFS Fat Pafs that I put in with new pots etc. Big big difference for the better. The only issue I've had with the oroiginal was the output jack. Be careful pulling your cord out. I cracked the pickguard on mine (i was young and it was a long time ago).

Both of these Wilshire are the best playing and most comfortable guitas I have ever played. I bought the re-issue to compare it to the original and aside from color etc, it is surprisingly close in playablitily and sound. There is a certain ring that I hear when playing them. Epi did a good job on these. I will be buying one of the aged cherry (about the same color as my original) models when I can.

Woody, I've been looking for a black pickguard for mine, but had no luck finding someone to make one. I never thought about painting it. Looks good!!

• Members

I JUST GOT THE WILSHIRE TOO AND THINK THE BLACK LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT PAINTS TO USE AND WHERE TO GET THEM PLEASE? THIS IS MY GIRST TIME DOING IT AND REALLY DONT WANT TO RUIN THE GUITAR. BTW HOW DO YOU LIKE THE GUITAR? THANKS

It was several months ago I painted it, but used a spray-on "Bar B Que" paint. But I forget the brand. Do a very light coat and let dry - then repeat until you have 2 or 3 coats. If I have time tonight, I'll check in my paints and can probably tell you what brand paint I used. Obviously you will need to remove the pickguard from the guitar to apply the spray paint.

I have not play the Wileshire for a while - but still have it, and have no plans to sell it.

- w

• Members

You can go to like Lowes and get a piece of floor tile and cut your own. The tile will fut with scissors (might have to warm it a bit in the oven). I was looking at some Black Pearl blank pieces but they pretty pricey, so I think I'm going to do either formica or tile first and see if i like it.

• Members

Hey woody, now that's been a while how's the paint holding up? Any peeling or anything?

Looks great btw.
:thu:

Thanks. It has been sitting in a case for several months. But I just took a look at it. No peeling. I expect it will show some pick marks after use - but any plastic guard will show some wear like that.

- w

• Members

Thanks. It has been sitting in a case for several months. But I just took a look at it. No peeling. I expect it will show some pick marks after use - but any plastic guard will show some wear like that.

- w

Sounds like it worked out really well then. I asked because I've had mixed results with plastics and spray paints.

• Members

^^^

I might have done a light primmer coat. I really don't remember. But this is stove paint - so maybe it's more durable? Not sure. But so far so good.

I should really drag it up stairs and kick around a bit. But I am still in LOVE with my Peavey T-15 :love:

- w

• Members

You can go to like Lowes and get a piece of floor tile and cut your own. The tile will fut with scissors (might have to warm it a bit in the oven). I was looking at some Black Pearl blank pieces but they pretty pricey, so I think I'm going to do either formica or tile first and see if i like it.

That, sir, is an interesting idea. Very interesting.

Archived