Possible Jeff Beck - Rod Stewart reunion?

bluesnapper

• Moderators

Last year for a do at Goodwood, the Faces got together, and there was a lengthy interview on a BBC radio station with Ron Wood among others and how they'd tried to persuade Rod to join in.

The tone suggested very strongly that Rod simply isn't interested in anything but doing {censored}ing remakes of old standards or "Songbooks" to line his pocket.

Instead they did the gig with Mick Hucknall and they played most of the gig and Hucknall {censored}ing shone as did the rest of the Faces

[video=youtube;Tz4-xjHH9zw]

• Members

Last year for a do at Goodwood, the Faces got together, and there was a lengthy interview on a BBC radio station with Ron Wood among others and how they'd tried to persuade Rod to join in.

The tone suggested very strongly that Rod simply isn't interested in anything but doing {censored}ing remakes of old standards or "Songbooks" to line his pocket.

That clip right there was lovely -- nice work, Woody and Mac. I wonder how Mick did on the Rod belters like "Borstal Boys" and "Miss Judy's Farm." If their rumored reunion tour ever comes together, I'll definitely check that out.

Yeah, Rod has kinda snubbed the Faces boys since Lane's death; didn't even make an appearance in the Ronnie Lane bio-documentary. I hear he helped Ronnie out financially during his illness, which is cool, but he seems to have just moved on from that period of his career -- kinda like Linda Ronstadt left rock and roll totally behind in the 80s. (Yeah, Linda Ronstadt used to sing rock -- and pretty well. Can you believe that, kids?)

[shrug] I guess they have their reasons: their current careers are more lucrative, they don't want to stay stuck in the 70s, or whatever. But I like the way Beck's managed to always be doing something different and keeping things fresh, while not abandoning the great work he did 30-40 years ago either.

Plus The Great Tad on the basso profundo.

Did you mean Tal?

• Members

hahahahahahahahahaha oh man. it must suck to be like you.

Nope. You lose a little bit of that 'I like weird stuff that's not popular' street cred, but somehow I manage to struggle along. Tom Waits can't sing-I like him, buy his albums-but he's not a good singer. If he were he'd have sold more albums than god, since he writes some of the best music on earth. He just can't.

• Members
Nope. You lose a little bit of that 'I like weird stuff that's not popular' street cred, but somehow I manage to struggle along. Tom Waits can't sing-I like him, buy his albums-but he's not a good singer. If he were he'd have sold more albums than god, since he writes some of the best music on earth. He just can't.

:facepalm:

I'm imagining Romeo is Bleeding being sung by Josh Grogan right now and how much better it would be...

• Members

They tried a reunion tour back in the '80s..I won tickets from a radio station and was thrilled to get the opportunity to see Jeff Beck play live. They cancelled the tour, and I never did get to see him play. That's about to change, though.

My tickets came in the mail today! I'm going to see him in KC on April 16th!

• Members

Rod had achieved his goal of becoming Neil Diamond without the (former) songwriting ability.

Jeff has continued to grow by leaps and bounds every record for the four decades since they last did a full record.....OK, I won't count "Flash" or "Camouflage" in that.

I don't think Jeff could or should dumb himself down to Rod's level. I mean, it'll bring him wads of cash, but I think Jeff does decently, if not spectacularly by not compromising his principles.

• Members

those American Standards hes been putting out are decent. I have all of them as I bought them each year for my Mom for xMas and ripped them on my comp. He can still sing.

He recently had a kid and when asked if he wants more he said that he is finally too old to have any more, I mean he will literally die of old age before the kid gets out of highshool poor bastard.

• Members

Rod had achieved his goal of becoming Neil Diamond without the (former) songwriting ability.

Jeff has continued to grow by leaps and bounds every record for the four decades since they last did a full record.....OK, I won't count "Flash" or "Camouflage" in that.

I don't think Jeff could or should dumb himself down to Rod's level. I mean, it'll bring him wads of cash, but I think Jeff does decently, if not spectacularly by not compromising his principles.

Written/Co-Written by Rod Stewart

Ain't Love a Bitch

B

Baby Jane (song)

D

Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?

F

Farewell (Rod Stewart song)

Forever Young (Rod Stewart song)

H

Hot Legs

I

I Was Only Joking

K

The Killing of Georgie (Part I and II)

M

Maggie May

S

Stay with Me (Faces song)

T

Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright)

Y

You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything (Even Take the Dog for a Walk, Mend a Fuse, Fold Away the Ironing Board, or Any Other Domestic Shortcomings)

You Wear It Well

You're in My Heart (The Final Acclaim)

Young

I'd say he wrote more than his fair share of classic, timeless stuff; I would argue that Neil Diamond comes up short in that comparison, and I think Neil's a talented guy.

• Members

Add to that list Mandolin Wind, Gasoline Alley, Three Button Hand Me Down, Sweet Lady Mary, and Cindy Incidentally.

Trouble with Rod is that the last 36 years of his career have pretty much eclipsed the first 6 in most people's minds. If you played them Truth, First Step, or A Nod's As Good as a Wink ... they wouldn't believe you when you told them who was singing.

• Members

...a string of tunes

Sorry, not a fan of anything Rod's done since Faces. Does he sell a bunch of records? Sure. But he hasn't done anything even energetic since 1970 or so.

Archived