R.I.P Gary Moore

Sale83

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally didn't see that one coming.

Anecdotally I heard the reason he sold Peter Green's old Les Pauls was due to health problems but I never heard anything more about it and he was still gigging and still putting out recordings. I suppose if you have to pass, passing in your sleep while on vacation is the time to do it. Very sad.

As someone who woke up having a heart attack on the 4th of July last year, dying in your sleep is OVER RATED! That said, I have a sad suspicion it was a heart attack. RIP Gary.

• Members

Damn. That is sad news.

Does anyone know what these health problems were? I recall in maybe '08 or '09 I hadn't seen him in years, and someone posted new live shots, and I got that jolt. Something didn't look right. He wasn't just heavier, which is fair enough, but looked haggard, worn in the face.

I read an interview where Gary said the main reason he sold it was because he had to cancel a tour due to a wrist injury. The promoter came after Gary for the lost revenues, and the only way Gary could cover his costs was to sell Greeny. The decision to do so was also aided by the fact that because of his injury, it wasn't comfortable for him to play the thick neck on Greeny anymore.

Ironically, that's why Peter Green sold it in the first place (well, that and he wasn't in the proper frame of mind at the time). He bought Greeny after playing Clapton's Beano Burst, which had a 1960 neck that he liked. He said he never quite bonded with Greeny's neck.

• Members

Damn. That is sad news.

I read an interview where Gary said the main reason he sold it was because he had to cancel a tour due to a wrist injury. The promoter came after Gary for the lost revenues, and the only way Gary could cover his costs was to sell Greeny. The decision to do so was also aided by the fact that because of his injury, it wasn't comfortable for him to play the thick neck on Greeny anymore.

That's not what I was expecting at all. I was thinking liver or something, the way he looked.

Archived