R.I.P Gary Moore

Sale83

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course it's terrible to lose someone like that at such a young age but to be honest...his playing left me cold. Especially those so-called blues albums he made. Blues is not about trying to cram 3000 notes into a solo.

sorry to burst ya'lls bubble...

It looks like this old guy liked Gary's blues playing.But what does he know?:poke:

• Members

What a shock and sad loss - I just can't believe it. Seemed like a young man to me. Huge respect for the man and his playing, I dare say modern blue wouldn't be quite where it is today if it wasn't for Gary Moore. You may or may not like his style, but the Still Got The Blues album was a huge hit and a massive influence on a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise have been turned on to the blues.

This is my favourite (at the moment) Gary clip. He's playing with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker in their short-lived "BBM" formation, which was more or less Cream with Gary instead of EC. True to form, Gary absolutely monsters this version of Sitting On Top Of The World, with, for me, the perfect mix of great tone, genuine blues feel and phrasing (the haters can f~ck off) and high-energy fluidity. The monster rhythm section is just the icing on the cake.

RIP Gary, and thanks.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eQqvZfozyI

• Members

Back around 1980, the local rock radio station used to play these lame syndicated rock interview shows at around 11pm every Sunday night. If I was too tired to to turn off the radio, I'd suffer through it until I fell asleep. On one particular night they had a pop star that I had no interest in and I don't remember his name. The interviewer had asked this guy about a particular song on his new album that was a real "rocker". I'm paraphrasing here, but this unknown musician tells the story,

"Yeah, that song was a real departure for me. We laid down the track, but we didn't know who we would get to play the solo. Someone in the studio suggested Gary Moore. "Who? Thin Lizzy? I don't know...." We thought we would give him a try anyway and he agreed to come down to the studio. He shows up at the door wearing a long black leather overcoat and carrying a guitar case. He walks in, takes his guitar out, listens to the track once and says, "I'm ready". He nails it on the first take, puts his guitar in the case, takes his check and leaves. "He was here for 15 minutes and didn't even take off his coat".

I was in love with the Black Rose album at the time and never forgot that story. I got back into Gary's work in the late eighties and early nineties. This is a very sad day. I never got to see him play live. RIP Gary. Thanks.

• Members

We dedicated last night's Crosstown Lightnin' gig to him.

We weren't precisely his greatest fans, but he was an enormously skilled and dedicated player who raised the profile of the blues and brought the music of Albert King, BB King, Albert Collins and Peter Green to the attention of thousands who might otherwise never have heard of them.

• Members

I was one of those guys. I picked the guitar up to play metal but my dad showed me some Gary Moore and I was converted. From Mr. Moore, I went on to find other great blues players but he was my first and still my favorite guitar hero and I can safely say will stay there for a very long time. Without Gary I would still be a metal head. R.I.P. Mr Gary Moore. :cry:

• Members

We weren't precisely his greatest fans, but he was an enormously skilled and dedicated player who raised the profile of the blues and brought the music of Albert King, BB King, Albert Collins and Peter Green to the attention of thousands who might otherwise never have heard of them.

Very VERY well put, sir. Those that can't see this are either ignorant of musical history of the last 40 years or just plain ignorant. :thu:

• Members
I hate {censored}in {censored}ers that can't {censored} straight... bunch of twats.
:rolleyes:

I mean, seriously... do they have asshat school over there for these writers to attend?

The Sun is a trashy tabloid paper, part of News International (Fox News etc). I think they've misjudged the situation here, as they so often do. People - including their readers - respect Gary Moore and such a negative article will be received poorly.

• Moderators

The Sun is a trashy tabloid paper, part of News International (Fox News etc). I think they've misjudged the situation here, as they so often do. People - including their readers - respect Gary Moore and such a negative article will be received poorly.

Giving Sun readers any credit for respecting anything but crack induced journalism is too much

Archived