Is it just me or is PRS resale value way down?

danbronson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel like musical equipment in good condition should sell for about 2/3 of its original price. That means my Singlecut would go for about $1500. Seems fair, I would have been happy to sell for that much at the time.

That blue PRS for $800 is an incredible steal. I'm searching for used deals from now on...

• Members

Whoever said the economy hit the nail on the head.

People are worried they might not have a job tomorrow so they're a lot more cautious on what I like to call "discretionary high-dollar items" like a PRS guitar.

That's not to say that that PRS guitars are bad, it's just that resale value on everything is down now.

Music stores never pay as much as you'd hope for your stuff and they've ended up with a glut of used gear when people ended up needing cash.

If you lost your job tomorrow you'd rather have kept groceries on the table rather than a spendy new guitart and anything pushing or exceeding a thousand dollars is going to be a slow sell or a no sell in this market.

• Members

The economy has affected prices on everything, that is for sure.

But the truth, which a few here mentioned is the PRS have never had great resale. Most people shopping for a PRS seem to want new. It's very, very difficult for a brick and mortar shop to move used PRS's; most non-PRS dealers won't even try, others limited themselves to only one used PRS in stock at once. They may sell
dozens
of used Gibson's and Fender's before they move that PRS. And that takes it's toll of resale value. Walk in traffic for used PRS is next to nothing, and that's never going to grow because store don't bother stocking used PRS's as a result.

They best price anyone will get is on eBay, where they reach the largest customer base. It's generally where people looking for a used PRS do their hunting.

Elderly Instruments in Lansing moves a good number of used and new PRSs.

It's where I bought mine, and I keep close tabs on what they have moving through there.

• Members

Everythings resale is way down.

Yes, indeed.

PRS is maybe down further than others but I've noticed that ESP/LTD also lose a lot of their value...and it certainly isn't because of any quality issue so maybe it is a numbers issue. They definitely have the market 'flooded' to a certain degree.

• Members

I agree resale is down on everything, and yes - it is the economy. But yes - also they are low balling you. I did a search of completed eBay auctions for PRS Satin Singlecut. The one that sold was around $1,800 - so imho they s/b offering at least $900.

But yeah - money is TIGHT. I have had a heck of a time trying to sell couple really nice guitars in the last few months.

• Members

A brief review of Ebay certainly doesn't seem to back this argument. Still looks like the vast majority of listed in the 2-4,000 range, and (amazingly) not that far under brand new MSRP. Looks to me like many B&M shops are selling through Ebay, and damn little used/second hand stuff was available.

/shrugs, wish I could find a nice shiney right-color PRS for $800.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I think one thing that hurts used PRS value is that lots of folks who want a 10 top, birds, maxed-out PRS sort of by definition want it in new or nearly new condition. Let's face it, a lot of the appeal of such guitars is visual, and a relic'd PRS just doesn't seem quite the same as a relic'd Tele.

• Members

I think one thing that hurts used PRS value is that lots of folks who want a 10 top, birds, maxed-out PRS sort of by definition want it in new or nearly new condition. Let's face it, a lot of the appeal of such guitars is visual, and a relic'd PRS just doesn't seem quite the same as a relic'd Tele.

I love beat up PRS guitars. :love:

This one has been my #1 stage guitar for years and suffered through a few tours.

23552_312652889086_502834086_3600044_343

• Members

I think one thing that hurts used PRS value is that lots of folks who want a 10 top, birds, maxed-out PRS sort of by definition want it in new or nearly new condition.

I agree. I also think that by nature of the visual aspect of those guitars, the novelty wears off and eventually one is just not as impressed by the look and want something simpler. That is why 'classic' is classic. A solid candy red, alpine white, a burst or plain black will always look good but dressed to the nines starts to look crappy after a while. The birds? I loved them when I first saw them...but they shouldn't be on thousands (or is it tens of thousands?) of guitars. It's like the tramp stamp...cool when a few women had them but now 4 out of 5 has one and my god...like the guy's 'tribal arm band'.

Anyway, I'm keeping it all inside and nobody likes a vague poster.

Archived