1959 Fender Factory Tour

Rick 381

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though I don't particularly like Fenders, that brought such a smile to my face that I'm good for the day. Thanks man!

And not a single one of those guitars were identical. I have had the luck to play a lot of older instruments some were fabulous and some were turds.
One thing about the cnc process everything is identical except the different pieces of wood.

One thing about the CNC process isn't so much that they're identical, the focus is that there's consistency. It's like McDonalds-- no matter where you go in America (or most other countries for that matter), you know that the Big Mac you order is going to taste exactly the same as the Big Mac you got back home. There's something to be said about that. The whole introduction of the CNC process has brought fantastic process standardization to guitar manufacturing, so much so that tolerances can be a lot tighter and you don't have to higher more expensive, higher skilled labor to make it. This is why we can buy an Xavier guitar for $240 with the best tonewoods and find (for the most part) and incredibly made guitar, much more than you could have got from China 20 years ago. It takes the skill out of precision.

Now, that's not to say that you can't get better results with a skilled craftsman. I would always want a guitar built by hand over one built by machine, but then again my wallet isn't big enough for more than my Heritage, so the CNC brings with it a higher level of quality to so many more musicians across the world.

I'm sure Fender plopped out just as many turds as unicorns, but I bet those unicorns were fantastic. I also bet that some of those turds are currently on the market for $20,000.

lol collectors.

• Members
That was great. My impressions: Saw operator is not a job that you want to show up for with a hangover. Paint tech not wearing a mask. People working shirtless. 1959 was truly a different world.

Really was... I wonder where some of those Strats are now? :D

Anyway, sweet find man thanks!

• Members

Those were the days! Women in dresses sanding instruments by hand, guys walking around with no shirts on, no concerns about safety or health. And I wish Fender would still use the same QC procedures - "All instruments must be setup and played by a sweaty shirtless man - instrument held close to body." :D Next time someone complains that guitars these days leave the factory without a decent setup, I'll offer them the alternative! hahaha

Gotta think - southern California, summertime, no AC, bad smog. Must have been great working there. :o

(I know it's just a snapshot in time - but did you notice everyone was WORKING? Try to take a video now of any factory or office (office! hahaha) where everyone is working at the same time! Heck, you'd probably capture more people on Facebook or HCEG Forum, or texting, than doing what they're supposed to. Now, what was I supposed to be doing instead of posting this??? hahaha)

• Members
I'm sure Fender plopped out just as many turds as unicorns, but I bet those unicorns were fantastic. I also bet that some of those turds are currently on the market for $20,000.

lol collectors.

I always thought that a lot of the relic fascination came down to the turd factor. I mean if you find a great playing and amazing sounding guitar back then you're going to play the absolute {censored} out of it. If it's a turd chances are it would end up sitting in a case somewhere and be in mint condition at this point. My point being is that the relic'd guitar was a great guitar to begin with and has next to nothing with how it looks after decades of use.

• Members

I always thought that a lot of the relic fascination came down to the turd factor. I mean if you find a great playing and amazing sounding guitar back then you're going to play the absolute {censored} out of it. If it's a turd chances are it would end up sitting in a case somewhere and be in mint condition at this point. My point being is that the relic'd guitar was a great guitar to begin with and has next to nothing with how it looks after decades of use.

That's a really good point that I hadn't thought about.

Deeeep maaaaan

• Members

No cnc, no Osha.... no shirts.... my god SKILLS!!! Did notice many were latinos.... what do they think, California is 'Merican. Los Angeles, San Francisco, yeah dem be English words!

But great video

BTW, take a look at Ovation factory making my VXT (well, coulda been). That is hand built. Noticed guy doing sunbursts didn't have a mask on either. Sadly, these are discontinued. Not enough of you (plus difficult to find) bought these honeys. I will stack mine up against any guitar. Best I've ever played by a good margin.

• Members

Some companies still build more or less like that..

+1

For some reason, many people seem to think that all guitars are now made by CNC. In the USA, yes, most guitar factories use CNC. Yet, USA guitars still include a lot of hands-on work...especially in the last stages of completing the guitar. CNC machines are just tools in the process and NOT magic bullets. If CNC automatically resulted in consistent guitars, like so many people seem to believe, we'd hear nothing but great stories about Gibson USA products. By the way, I like my Gibson guitars. I like my USA Fender Strat too!

I wonder if the Korean, Chinese, Japanese and other factories that build guitars by hand are safer than the Fender factory in 1959?

I enjoyed the video! Thanks for sharing! :thu:

• Members

+1

For some reason, many people seem to think that all guitars are now made by CNC. In the USA, yes, most guitar factories use CNC. Yet, USA guitars still include a lot of hands-on work...especially in the last stages of completing the guitar. CNC machines are just tools in the process and NOT magic bullets. If CNC automatically resulted in consistent guitars, like so many people seem to believe, we'd hear nothing but great stories about Gibson USA products. By the way, I like my Gibson guitars. I like my USA Fender Strat too!

I wonder if the Korean, Chinese, Japanese and other factories that build guitars by hand are safer than the Fender factory in 1959?

I enjoyed the video! Thanks for sharing!
:thu:

I thought that the Asian imports were largely machine-made, and the sticker on the back of my Epiphone SG was highly inaccurate when it said "hand-made in China." They really are hand-made?

Archived