Does a real Gibson really smoke a Epiphone by a mile?

Dr. Scottie C

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm gonna field this one in the most narrow way possible, using only my knowledge of my own Gibson and my own Epiphone.

I figure the best logical way to figure this out is how many of my Epi would I trade for my Gibson.

-CALCULATING-

Three.

Glad I solved that one.

I wasn't even going to chime in until I read your post and was just thinking in these exact terms.

I have owned 1 Epi,a G-400 Standard and 3 Gibson SG's (Faded ($500 used-mint)-Special($600 used-mint with case)-SG Standard ($700 used-BB pro's-perfectly repaired neck but exc cond. with case) & I was thinking that the SG Standard IMO is worth the paying of 3X of a G-400 at new prices. And IMO in the used market it is a no contest that I would buy a used Gibson over a new Epi SG.

I guess the 1 Epi experience and comparing the SG's for me,I have never wanted another Epi. We don't have a local dealer that carries Gibsons or Epi's unless there is a rare used 1 in stock.

**note this doesn't include the MIJ Epi's since I have never even seen 1 in real life but I look at other brands over Epi 99.9% of the time.....

• Members

Would I rather have a Gibson LP than my Epi LP? Sure.

Is the price difference worth it? Not to me.

There's a lot of reasons for that: I don't care about poly/nitro. I'm just a hobbyist, and a hack at that. I like having an LP in the family but I find I'm much more comfortable with other types of guitars (SG, etc).

For these and other very
personal
reasons the price difference isn't worth it. For someone else the
personal
calculation of worth/value stacks up differently.
:idk:
Make your own music your own way.

I think that pretty much covers it from a hobby point of view. Playing professionally does add a competitive edge to things. If you were hiring a band. and one band invests in the best equipment and another has budget equipment. Leaving the performance aspect out of it and focusing strictly on the equipment to get the job done the person hiring wants to get the most for theyre money. The band with the budget equipment is more likely to be viewed as a budget band, The band with the high cost equipment as pro.

This is the same for many service related businesses that deal with the piublic. In my day job the company spares no expence in supplying their workers with the finest equipment made. Its part of the selling aspect of the service in charging decent prices. It also attracts the best workers who want to work for a company so its a win/win situation for customers and workers.

Bands like any other show related fields deals with images. Some people may only focus on the playing and music. many hng with bands to be part of the whole image thing. Having good instruments and kicking ass on them simply widens that range of listeners. I know as a musician, I'd rather watch a musician kick ass with good equipment. I wouldnt knock them for using something cheaper, but if that cheapness influenced the sound quality, playing ability, or that most important mojo Magic musicians get playing great guitars, then I'd say, i'll pass on the band using low grade equipment and weak turnout and vist the other guys down the street who have the cash, attract the best looking chicks, have the better crowd appeal.

Its a stupid biased attitude I know, But dont we do this in every aspect in life. Who would rather hang out with succesfull people over loosers? The guitar is not the determining factor of that but who hasnt auditioned with other musicians and passed when someone picks up a piece of junk and sounded like crap. Its like wearing a sign saying "I'm a beginner", Or "I dont like my playing enough to invest in it" or, "This sounds great to me and its better than any Gibson"? Really? I'd consider that guy to either be an amature and pass, Someone whose not serious, and pass, or to be a complete idiot whose ignorant of good equipment, dellusional or full of {censored} trying to convince you junk sounds good. In all cases i'd likely pass on working with them.

You can tell when someones talented and can play great on anything. Thats not even an issue. I even have an Epi Dot i've modified to achieve a specific tones. I also have 23 other guitars I've bought or built from scratch. I may pull out something that looks like junk but sounds like god just to specifically get past the equipment aspect of playing and add some uniqueness. But I may also pull out my best stuff when I feel I need to wear some jewlrey and make a visual statement that lets others know I'm a pro that has the aptitude and appreciation for playing fine instruments.

Vain? maybe. Does it piss others off who dont have good rigs yet? Sure, but who the hell cares. Many musicians throw a bit of sport in there. If someone can smoke me with a piece of junk, god bless them. I have no issue giving cutos to those who master they're instruments. But I'm not going to be ashamed of my success I'm going to flaunt it as a showman. I spent years and years working, suffering and saving for the best I could get. If someone else wants the best, then let them do the same. If they havent got the passion to work hard and save for the best, then that simply reveals thay havent got what it takes. Its They're weakness not mine. Having pride in your toys is a major part of a musicians life and spurs their inspiration to play well. Thats not going to change any time soon.

I suppose some dork will force musicians to go green some day and make them buy "Volt" Guitars. Its like the green thing has even reached musicians who feel everyone else should play sub par instrumentsthe so the playing field is level. They can go down to the crossroads and dual it out with the devil on equal terms. What bunk. The only way you step up that ladder in playing ability is to work your fingers to the bone every free second you have. thats it.

Having great equipment is littel payback for all the years of sore fingers playing yuyr ass off. (If view it that way). For others its merely unabligatory self indulgence. I justify it as an investment I can also use. I "Invest" in equipment that will eventually go up in value over time like putting cash in the bank (which has shown not to be so safe lately) Its surely better than blowing the money on chicks, wineing, dining or even worse vices. If I become broke "Again" I may have to sell it all and wind up with a cheezy worthless banger. Wont stop me from playing the best I can on it. Never

• Members

As others have already alluded to, it's mostly situational. As a college student with very little cash, my first electric was a Korean made 2000 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Would a Gibson Les Paul Standard been worth the additional cost to me at the time? Probably not.

Fast forward 10 years later, the Epi is gone and I now own a Gibson LP standard. Tone wise I dont know that I hear a huge difference, but the neck definitely feels more substantial and the fretwork is much better. For me the Gibson was worth it. If it meant that I had to eat Ramen noodles everyday and not be able to pay the rent, then I'd say no.

With all that being said, my friend can still blow me out of the water on his cheap squier strat.

• Members

Well having owned owned both epi and original lp's ,id say at times there is a huge difference .
It seems to all depend on where the model you have has was built ,Ive got a strat style epi made at the gibson factory in nashville that
is a better build quality than alot of strats I've played.
Look at it this way ///// lp custom has bindings,busier inlays ,and a better flamed top. my studio has none of the above but plays the freaking same .
both built in nashville .

• Members

As others have already alluded to, it's mostly situational. As a college student with very little cash, my first electric was a Korean made 2000 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Would a Gibson Les Paul Standard been worth the additional cost to me at the time? Probably not.

Fast forward 10 years later, the Epi is gone and I now own a Gibson LP standard. Tone wise I dont know that I hear a huge difference, but the neck definitely feels more substantial and the fretwork is much better. For me the Gibson was worth it. If it meant that I had to eat Ramen noodles everyday and not be able to pay the rent, then I'd say no.

With all that being said, my friend can still blow me out of the water on his cheap squier strat.

I think this is a great "real world" example. Overall, the quality of a Gibson is USUALLY a little more "craftsman like" where the Epis are more "factory like" - but that doesn't mean the Epis are bad guitars by a long shot! Some of the differences are not really "hit you over the head obvious" differences. I like the way my Epi's feel. I've played Gibsons that feel different...I'm not sure I would call them "better" - and as for tone, I think that is also one of those things that can be equalled out most of the time. NIcer pickups start leveling that playing field...and you start getting rather subjective very quickly. Epiphones are fantastic instruments and the price just makes them sweeter.

• Members
Any comparison is riddled with subjectivity which all boils down the player and the player alone.

So diceman1000 doesn't nor will he probably ever see it as a 5-7X difference. dcooper830 owns a bunch of both and he doesn't see it either and probably never will.

Ask 50 other people and you're going to get people on both sides of the fence with different opinions. Me personally; it all comes down the guitars in question and even then a 5-7X 'better' is unattainable except perhaps in the case of the {censored}tiest Epiphone ever built and one of the best Gibsons ever to grace the planet. The likelihood is more in the .05-2X nicer in even the more extreme cases and for many even a 5% difference is enough to justify the price which is clearly what the 5-7X 'better' is really all about.

So here is are the questions you have to ask yourself:

1. If you had to choose between this Epiphone for $300 and a Gibson for $300 which one would you buy?

2. If you had to choose between the Epiphone for $2000 and a Gibson for the same price which would you buy?

Now try to explain the answer to yourself and perhaps you'll be onto something because I don't know why it is either. I'm going to take the Gibson in just about every scenario I can imagine and I'll sit here and admit to it.

The price difference isn't on a linear scale so the 5-7X better question is flawed from the beginning. After a certain price the percentage of 'better' drops and the price increases substantially and it's not just with guitars. Ask Diceman1000 to explain it using cars as an analogy; he enjoys that. :poke:
:thu:

:p:p:p

• Members

Gibson to Epiphone is like comparing a Honda to an Acura. They have the similar features and are often built on the same chassis. However, the Gibson has more craftsmanship put into it. If the little things matter to you or you like a Gibson better, get a Gibson. If the price of the Epiphone is right for you and you like the feel of it, get an Epiphone. Any more it is hard to go wrong with either one. Older guitars is a story for another day...

• Members

Gibson to Epiphone is like comparing a Honda to an Acura. They have the similar features and are often built on the same chassis. However, the Gibson has more craftsmanship put into it. If the little things matter to you or you like a Gibson better, get a Gibson. If the price of the Epiphone is right for you and you like the feel of it, get an Epiphone. Any more it is hard to go wrong with either one. Older guitars is a story for another day...

DAMNIT!!! TGHE CAR ANALOGY DOES NOT APPLY TO GUITARS!!!:mad:

• Members

I own one Gibson the bottom of the line Melody Maker and also own a Epiphone Wilshire. Both are great guitars in their own right but,there is feel to the MM that the Epi can not match. Maybe it is the 3 miles of poly finish. Now the Wilshire is a great guitar in its own right as I said. But it does not have the feel of the MM.Sound wise they are apples and oranges so I will not compare the two.

• Members

if i had the disposeable income for high end gear would i have it? well DUH!!!

I have heard a lot of people say very similar and said "how much have you spent on gear?" and then they do the math and figure 'damn, I could have had a...'.

I'm not saying that it is your situation but many, many people who say that could have a mind-blowing instrument for what they have spent. I know one guy who says that he can't see how anyone could spend $1000 on a guitar but he has about five that were $250 or $325. The difference in feel and flat-out overall quality of the $1000 instrument is typically miles ahead of the $250 guitar. If it wasn't, then I wouldn't own any 'expensive' guitars.

I tried a dozen Epiphones when I went Les Paul shopping. None of them came close to the Gibsons so I bought my first Gibson Les Paul Studio. BUT before I played the Epiphones and I could just see them I thought 'wow, I'll just get two of those in different colours'. Insert manual buzzer here.

• Members

I have heard a lot of people say very similar and said "how much have you spent on gear?" and then they do the math and figure 'damn, I could have had a...'.

This is why I've sold almost all of my low to mid-priced guitars over the past few months. I'm using the cash to buy a few really nice ones that I love. They were all great guitars in their own way, but I finally decided I'd rather have a handful of guitars that I'll want around forever.

• Members

I'm not saying that it is your situation but many, many people who say that could have a mind-blowing instrument for what they have spent. I know one guy who says that he can't see how anyone could spend $1000 on a guitar but he has about five that were $250 or $325. The difference in feel and flat-out overall quality of the $1000 instrument is typically miles ahead of the $250 guitar. If it wasn't, then I wouldn't own any 'expensive' guitars.

I tried a dozen Epiphones when I went Les Paul shopping. None of them came close to the Gibsons so I bought my first Gibson Les Paul Studio. BUT before I played the Epiphones and I could just see them I thought 'wow, I'll just get two of those in different colours'. Insert manual buzzer here.

well, you see my sig... and i don't have everything listed:facepalm:... total investment is

Archived