Pix of Poor Quality Gibson SG 60s Tribute Finally!

curseoftruth

• Members

I had a thread the other day of Gibson fail, finally got some pix up. The biggest problem is not visible in any of the pix, it is the small pieces of dirt/dust/sand under the clear satin coat on the front of the guitar. I tried to capture them in a photo but they couldn't be seen, but they are there en mass. Then the big white stripe, its not the wood, its the satin coat - its like it globbed in there and dried white, looks worse in person than in the pix. Then the dents on the back, I circled them.

SG3.jpg

SG2.jpg

SG1.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could have dealt with the back, but that white crap on the front would have pissed me off

Yeah, I hear ya - the back is no big deal. The stripe and the dirt under the clear coat were deal killers. I'd keep it if they knocked $200 off the price, hell it plays and sounds killer! But its going back. Some other poor sucker will probably get it lol

• Members

yuk, it's like a Gibson employee jizzed on the front of that SG and THEN they clear coated over it. All white and crusty... ::Vomits now::

Did you have to raise that spectre? That's disgusting. Funny, but disgusting. :|

This looks like a bad refinishing job. Gibson QC would have to suck big-time to let this guitar out the door as is.

• Members

Some people will say that you get what you pay for, but the Melody Maker I had a couple of years ago was perfect and was at least half the cost of that. I think you're doing the right thing by sending it back.

Where I counter that argument - I paid $499 for my Gibson LPVM new out of the box, I paid $550 for my Gibson Faded V new out of the box, and I paid $399 for a B-Stock Epi Sheraton that was supposed to have a finish flaw. You know what - NONE of them had any problems what so ever. 100% perfect. My LPVM is one hell of a guitar, the grain doesn't match 100% but there were no other flaws beside that. So when I buy a guitar - even if its a $100 beater, new at least it should not have these problem. I paid $39 for some bass from Woodwind and Brass a couple of years ago on blowout (true story!) and the finish was 100% perfect, the fret edges were sharp but I fixed that.

• Members

I could have dealt with the back, but that white crap on the front would have pissed me off

+1

Me too. Send it back. I mean, these things are cheap. They are within a few bucks of the upper-end Chinese Epiphones, but still, they shouldn't spooge down the front of the guitars, that's just wrong.

I'd like to pick up one of those myself, but I decided off the bat I'll take a risk of never getting one before I'll take a risk of buying one of them from any place other than Sweetwater or Wildwood guitars which give you the benefit of gallery pics.

Just get a PRS. ;)

• Members

That one shouilda been painted.

In fact, I'd be tempted to request a discount and order some pelham blue from reranch.
:)

EG

That's the part I don't get. After they clamp the boards together, you'd think they'd do a better job of figuring out which ones go to the paint chambers and which ones are clear sprayed for natural.

But despite the cosmetic issues, I usually find that even unsightly Gibby cheapies sound better than comparable priced imports.

• Members

That's the part I don't get. After they clamp the boards together, you'd think they'd do a better job of figuring out which ones go to the paint chambers and which ones are clear sprayed for natural.

But despite the cosmetic issues, I usually find that even unsightly Gibby cheapies sound better than comparable priced imports.

This is true - this ugly beast sounds and plays most excellent, sounds much better than my SG Classic did for some reason and witht he faded series unfinished neck, plays like a dream. To the point where I considered keeping it, but then I'd look at the spunk stain on the front and say no!

• Members

they should of been called Road Worn, or Factory Worn.

lmao :lol: Fender's Road Worn, although laughable in its own right, is supposed to simulate years of play. The idea of Gibson deliberately marketing QC flaws and calling them "Factory Worn" as if spilled glue and poor fret ends are desirable is hilarious to me. :lol: Seriously, best laugh all night. Thanks.

• Members

Unfortunately, finish flaws seem to be the norm for this series. Here's a pic of my 50's Tribute LP.

Credit to Gibson though - they replaced mine under warranty; but it should have never gotten out the door.

gtneck.jpg

WTF :eek: How can a company even let that one go out the door?

• Members

+1; I just can't picture some QC guy saying to himself, "Yeah, someone would be ok with this streak..." LOL

Lame! Free goldtops for everyone! LOL srsly though, that would bug the hell outta me...

• Members

Unfortunately, finish flaws seem to be the norm for this series. Here's a pic of my 50's Tribute LP.

Credit to Gibson though - they replaced mine under warranty; but it should have never gotten out the door.

gtneck.jpg

So, did the neck just not receive enough of the satin clearcoat???

Archived