Pix of Poor Quality Gibson SG 60s Tribute Finally!

curseoftruth

• Members

Ok, I don't get that streak either. Dents on the back I could live with - I'd only end up adding more myself. The streak is weird though - it's such an obvious flaw.

Aside from the streak though, it does look like a rather sexy guitar. And your pics are making me want to buy one.

If it plays and sounds excellent then I'd try and haggle a discount - I could live with the streak if they gave me back $100.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry to see that stuff. When I buy a new instrument I expect perfection, or as close to it as is tolerable. Not only should that not have left the factory, it should never have been accepted by the store that sold it to you let alone made it your house. That's bad work all around. You should really get on the shop's case, I mean how could they NOT check the stock upon arrival and why would they think it was alright to send you a dinged up guitar with a serious finish flaw?

• Members

Sorry to see that stuff. When I buy a new instrument I expect perfection, or as close to it as is tolerable. Not only should that not have left the factory, it should never have been accepted by the store that sold it to you let alone made it your house. That's bad work all around. You should really get on the shop's case, I mean how could they NOT check the stock upon arrival and why would they think it was alright to send you a dinged up guitar with a serious finish flaw?

I'm not sure how the OP bought it, but I've gotten guitars from MF/M123 that were brand new in unopened boxes. The dealer never saw the contents. Should have never made it out of the factory though. There were some pretty nasty mismatched examples I saw on the 50's Les Paul Tributes also, seems like they don't give a hoot to me.

• Members

I'm not sure how the OP bought it, but I've gotten guitars from MF/M123 that were brand new in unopened boxes. The dealer never saw the contents. Should have never made it out of the factory though. There were some pretty nasty mismatched examples I saw on the 50's Les Paul Tributes also, seems like they don't give a hoot to me.

Gibson supply a checklist for the retailer to use and expect all of their guitars to have this second appraisal.

MF don't even look in the box? :facepalm: Sometimes it's best to go to a real shop!

• Members

It was ordered from MF and was 100% unopened by them after it arrived from Gibson. Was in the original Gibson box with all the original staples still in tact. Here is the funny thing, I've bought a bunch new Gibsons through the years and they have this check list that always comes with it and always has some checks on it - meaning somebody actually inspected before it goes out the door. This one had the checklist as usual but nobody checked anything on it lol.

I just dropped it off at UPS.

• Members

The Gibby QC issues continue. Sounds to me like the qc guys are forced to accept bad things due to management's committment to profitability. In other words the big shots (no pun intended considering the white streak:facepalm:) are telling QC to let junque go out the door so they can make more money.

• Members

Honestly, if it were me, and the guitar played and sounded great, I would've just laughed this off. I'm pretty sure you could have buffed and smoothed that stuff out pretty easily. That's just me though. I hope you get the guitar you want this time (not one that's prettier that doesn't play/sound as well). Good luck!

• Members

I'm still looking forward to the Factory Worn line. I'm picturing full-page ads in guitar magazines with photography highlighting dimpled, "orange peel" finish, pointy fret ends, and improperly cut nuts.... you know what I mean... those features that give these guitars that special Gibson mojo you just can't find anywhere else.

• Members

I'm still looking forward to the Factory Worn line. I'm picturing full-page ads in guitar magazines with photography highlighting dimpled, "orange peel" finish, pointy fret ends, and improperly cut nuts.... you know what I mean... those features that give these guitars that special Gibson mojo you just can't find anywhere else.

Don't forget mislocated bridges. "To enhance the out of tune sound we all desire".

• Members

While you naysayers scoff, I've owned other Gibsons and currently I have a LP and a V in the stable that have no QC issues nor have any other ones I've had. I agree, QC is somewhat {censored}ty, but if its hit and miss and you get a hit - its a damn good hit. My LPVM is just an amazing guitar in every way. If the one that comes in to replace this one is bad, I'm done with this series and I'll save up a bit more and get one of the single cut Jr. Specials they have.

• Members

I agree, QC is somewhat {censored}ty, but if its hit and miss and you get a hit - its a damn good hit.

Yup, that about nails it. No matter how many people say that their $Year $Model $Identifier is the greatest thing ever and it doesn't have a flaw on it, the fact is that Gibson is shipping out guitars with more prominent defects these days. In order to sell these new "Tribute" models at a reasonable price, they need to cut down on the time and money required for each unit. That means smaller pieces of wood and less time spent matching the grain. It means a single shot of nitro and a quick buff job later on rather than having a guitar spend days going through the paint/seal/polish process. You also get guitars being shipped with marks in the wood that would normally be rejected or sent back, because it's easy to say "Well, that just adds to its vintage character".

Of course, plenty of people got 50's tributes that they were perfectly happy with, but a lot of people, myself included, spent $850 on a guitar that came with flaws that would be unacceptable in a $300 Agile. I think the game is that if out of 100 "Tribute" models, 5 go out the door with flaws that would normally result in a pull, even if 3 end up getting returned, that's still 2 "bonus" sales. Lowering the bar lets them lower prices. All you can do is complain if you get one that isn't up to what you expected.

• Members

i dont see the problem. you should be honoured gibson is willing to sell you their table scraps for $800. they are a legend.... in their own mind.

i think that the sg has a mineral stain in the wood, not glue or gentlemans rellish. should have been sent for a solid colour for sure.

the neck on the lp shown to my knowledge is "deliberate" aging. its not GOOD aging, but most old tops seem to look like that from the pics ive seen. gibson really needs to get out of the habit of spraying a single coat of nitro and shoving it in a box. im sure most people would be happy with a quality satin poly finish on the lower end guitars if nitro is getting to costly.

• Members

i dont see the problem. you should be honoured gibson is willing to sell you their table scraps for $800. they are a legend.... in their own mind.

i think that the sg has a mineral stain in the wood, not glue or gentlemans rellish. should have been sent for a solid colour for sure.

I really looked it over and it is the satin finish, it is not in the wood, which was my initial thought also. Basically the wood grain has some deeper impressions and they just filled it in with the satin which dried white, not clear or whatever off white color its supposed to be. Easy way to describe it - if I had a quarter inch deep by one inch long and a quarter inch wide gouge in some wood and filled it with elmers glue, I'd be able to see through it but it would be kind of milky once dried. If I had the same gouge next to it but it was a half inch deep, it would more milky because there is more dried glue in there. Makes sense to me lol.

• Members

Mine had a checklist in the box indicating that it was inspected thoroughly. You should be able to return it and/or have the price reduced.

The checklist means nothing. They still send out guitars that have flaws that would not be tolerated from other models, complete with checklist. The guy with the gacked up neck's 50's Tribute came with one, and so did mine with the mineral-streaked fretboard and oversprayed gold paint. It's a selling point, not an actual checklist.

Archived