what does it mean to have a "fast" neck?

Gas Hed

• Members

Some of it's hype, some of it's legit. But a lot of it comes down to a person's specific playing style. In some cases, A "U" shaped neck is better for certain techniques generally associated with shredding. I find it much more difficult to sweep on a "V" neck, and especially hard on that kind of neck where it gets thinner as you get farther from the D string (So it's thinnest by either E string. That kind of neck isn't common, I saw it on a strat once. It was really annoying.)

I've heard one reason for Ibanez Wizards and other shred-oriented necks' absurd proportions is that they're based on classical guitars. If you look, this seems to make sense - classical guitars tend to have necks that are thinner and much broader than non-classical acoustics. I believe the theory was that, due to the classical influences many shredders have or claim to have, they would prefer these.

One thing you have to watch out for with really thin necks is that they tend to be designed for the kind of person who uses scrupulously exact technique. Even a slightly bent wrist can create pain and other issues if you play on a Wizard neck for a long time. This is another reason some people like baseball bat necks - they tend to be more ergonomic. Of course, I can't play an LP style neck for {censored}, so I think whether or not they're more "ergonomic" has a lot to do with your hand size.

• Members

If I'm not mistaken, the whole "fast neck" thing started when Gibson kinda sorta accidentally produced some ES-335s in 1960 and 1961 that had unusually carved down (i.e . -- thin) neck profiles. Players noticed and started requesting "fast" neck profiles from Gibson (and, yes, I do believe they referred to that neck profile in 1960/61 as "fast") .

• Members

fast neck - What does it mean?

IMHO I've seen guys shred on Ibanez (ala Paul Gilbert), Gibson (thinking Les Paul himself), Strat (Yankme Malmsteen) so it's not a specific thing it may just mean what fits your meat hooks!!

For me - I had a guitar that was super fast, then the neck cracked and when we fixed it we sanded the entire neck for the satin feel and poof - Freaking faster. so for me it's to remove the "sticky" back feeling.

Reality again is it just depends.

• Members

fast neck - What does it mean?

IMHO I've seen guys shred on Ibanez (ala Paul Gilbert), Gibson (thinking Les Paul himself), Strat (Yankme Malmsteen) so it's not a specific thing it may just mean what fits your meat hooks!!

For me - I had a guitar that was super fast, then the neck cracked and when we fixed it we sanded the entire neck for the satin feel and poof - Freaking faster. so for me it's to remove the "sticky" back feeling.

Reality again is it just depends.

Apparently the neck on Paul Gilberts new Ibanez - the Fireman - is pretty thick. Its also a 24.75" scale :eek:

• Members

The fastest neck will be the one thats buttery smooth on the underside and the perfect depth, shape and width, along with YOUR optimal string spacing to fit your hands to fit YOUR hands. Anything less than this will be a "slower" neck for you but a faster neck for someone else.

• Members

a neck with a thin profile, small frets, and a compound radius feels fast but lately i am really liking the feel of a scalloped neck with a set of 9's...

The only thing (and I do mean ONLY thing) I have in common with speed demons is that I like light strings. They just make life easier and although there is a difference in tone between very large and very small strings, shifting from 10's to 9's hasn't made a noticeable difference in sound for me but it has made a huge, positive difference in feel.

• Members

I always think of a fast neck as one that has a satin feel on the back of the neck, one where your hand moves with less effort and doesn't feel like it's sticking to the finish, like those on say.... a heavily lacquered neck. Ever feel the back of a Jackson USA neck or a yamaha pacifica? oh my, slick slick slick.

I've also played on some oiled necks and even some bare ones with a 400 grit sanding, those feel quite smooth and non sticky to get around on too.

Polyester coated necks? they can all {censored} off, I hate them. super sticky

• Members

I think fast neck just means you like it. Personally I play best on tiny necks with tiny radius and C profile. The vintage radius allows you to have something to grab onto without introducing heft. I also have small hands.

Your last sentence about small hands says a lot. Those with big hands like me would feel the neck is too small and the string spacing too tight if they have large fingers to go with the large hands.

• Members

"Fast Neck" is a term that has been around for about as long as the electric guitar, maybe longer. I just know it's an old school term and that it's not something some marketing twat came up with back in the eighties to sell more neon pink guitars. A "Fast neck" is simply a neck which has features that some players feel are more accommodating to the left-hand fretting techniques employed in faster styles of music.

It's just a simple description you would use when shopping for or describing guitars. Like a fat necked guitar. If you prefer choking a big, fat neck you're going to go into a guitar shop and ask to see guitars with fat necks, the salesman will then direct you to the guitars with fat necks. If you're into shred or high-speed chicken pickin' you're going to ask to see guitars with fast necks. If the salesman is not some n00b who thinks fast neck is a bull{censored} term he's going to direct you to the guitars which tend to be favored by players who mostly play fast.

I used to play mostly thumb over the top and never found thin necks to be uncomfortable. I would be thinking "How the {censored} does this help you play faster? My fingers so freaking cramped and crowded on the fretboard." Later, I began to dabble in speed and playing more with my thumb on the back of the neck and utilizing more left-hand speed techniques, I then realized the advantages of a "fast neck." If you find it difficult to play on guitars with thinner necks it just means that it's not suited toward your style. It doesn't mean that "fast necks" are bull{censored}, fiction or marketing hype. You use what feels most comfortable for what you play.

Sure, you can play fast on any guitar, but some are just more comfortable to play when it comes to speed. A comfortable guitar helps with stamina and accuracy and just makes playing that much more enjoyable.

• Members

I think that term is more fiction than fact, probably born more from of marketing slogans than anything real.

Any well setup instrument is "fast" enough.

fast enough and faster are two different things.

My mid 70's checkerboard strat is set up like a dream with some of the lowest action on any strat that I have ever seen but still it has a baseball bat of a neck which at times can make it a little slower.

My 87 Jem has the original Wizard neck on it and it is flat and thin all the way down. The action is super low and the neck is unfinished. This neck is definitely one that allows easier runs.

• Members

fast enough and faster are two different things.

My mid 70's checkerboard strat is set up like a dream with some of the lowest action on any strat that I have ever seen but still it has a baseball bat of a neck which at times can make it a little slower.

My 87 Jem has the original Wizard neck on it and it is flat and thin all the way down. The action is super low and the neck is unfinished. This neck is definitely one that allows easier runs.

Just a guess from personal experience, but I bet if I had those two guitars I'd find the exact opposite.

• Members

Just a guess from personal experience, but I bet if I had those two guitars I'd find the exact opposite.

I guess then it boils down to personal preference. I have been playing that strat since I bought new all those years ago and to me it is about the most comfortable instrument on the planet. Like a great old pair of Vans.

I have been playing the Vai since about 1991. It is easier for me to pull off faster 2 octave runs etc. than the strat but then again... maybe it is all in my head

• Members

I guess then it boils down to personal preference.
I have been playing that strat since I bought new all those years ago and to me it is about the most comfortable instrument on the planet. Like a great old pair of Vans.

I have been playing the Vai since about 1991. It is easier for me to pull off faster 2 octave runs etc. than the strat but then again... maybe it is all in my head

Most definitely. Light strings and low action also slow me down sometimes. For me I need to feel and work against string pressure, others not so much.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

There is no such thing as a universally 'fast' neck. Access to upper frets is another, though related subject. One player's 'fast neck' is a total impediment to another player. And extremely shallow-depth necks have been proven by physicians and physical therapists to encourage fatigue and often physical damage. Any guitar playing that results in cramping or worse after 20 minutes steady playing should be avoided at all cost. This is, of course, assuming the player has not tackled the instrument without proper warm-up.

• Members
On 9/21/2020 at 8:16 PM, The Telenator said:

There is no such thing as a universally 'fast' neck. Access to upper frets is another, though related subject. One player's 'fast neck' is a total impediment to another player. And extremely shallow-depth necks have been proven by physicians and physical therapists to encourage fatigue and often physical damage. Any guitar playing that results in cramping or worse after 20 minutes steady playing should be avoided at all cost. This is, of course, assuming the player has not tackled the instrument without proper warm-up.

Strong Bump.

Archived