So when is a musician considered a PRO???

poderoso

• Members

This just popped up in my head a couple mins ago. When do you actually consider someone a pro musician? Is it when you get your own record label? Is there a certain skill level that you need to be in? Is it getting paid gigs?

I see super good guys on youtube and on local bars that are way better than a lot of young bands that are signed to a label. Would you consider paramore's josh farro(sorry for being too specific) to be a pro vs. say your local music scene's guitar hero?

experience and skill VS. fame and fortune

discuss

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ohh.. this thread failed... hahahaha i thought i was about to start a long debate about skill vs. fame. haha thanks guys. i guess i was thinking about the thing when athletes actually "turn pro" thats when they enter a certain league where they are considered pros. didnt realize thats when they start getting paid.

• Members

ohh.. this thread failed... hahahaha i thought i was about to start a long debate about skill vs. fame. haha thanks guys. i guess i was thinking about the thing when athletes actually "turn pro" thats when they enter a certain league where they are considered pros. didnt realize thats when they start getting paid.

Go to your room.

• Members

when your primary result of income comes from writing/performing music.

for instance; i do not consider myself nor my band "professional." however, my guitar player has made a living writing songs for television and film for about 25 years now. i consider him a professional.

• Members

I consider somebody a pro when they make the majority of their income from playing music. If you're a weekend warrior who makes some supplemental income from it, you're a semi-pro. If you play an occasional gig, or mainly in your basement, you're a hobbyist. It has nothing to do with skill level or recording contracts.

• Members

I consider somebody a pro when they make the majority of their income from playing music. If you're a weekend warrior who makes some supplemental income from it, you're a semi-pro. If you play an occasional gig, or mainly in your basement, you're a hobbyist. It has nothing to do with skill level or recording contracts.

That's about how I'd categorize it too. :thu:

So I'm in the semi-hobbyist arena. My wife would be proud.

• Members
the thread did not fail because you learned something useful about the meaning of language and the use or misuse of it. Incidentally, there is no consistent connection between ability and getting paid. There is however a connection between the marketability and getting paid.

. haha yeah i learned that i need to stop telling people that theyre "pro" when theyre really good at something.

• Members

I do not consider myself a pro musician ..Although my living is made in playing music,Studio work and giving lessons along with some promoting and sales of music gear..

But yet according to Guitar Center king of the blues competition i am..Those of you who know this story yes my ass is still raw over them kicking me out of the competition ..I also will try to compete this year in hopes that the same snivelers are no longer there ..Here is what Guitar Centers rules say a pro is..Of course i disagree with this but i find it amusing

You must be a qualified amateur to participate in the Contest. A "Qualified Amateur" is defined as one who does not (1) earn more than $20,000 adjusted gross per year as a professional musician, based on the prior tax year (supporting documentation may be requested to verify), or (2) is not a party to any endorsement contract that, in the Sponsor's sole determination, conflicts with or competes with one of the Contest Entities or Prize Givers. For purposes of clarity, the term "professional musician" does not include teaching music or giving music lessons, and incomes derived therefrom will not be counted in determination of a Contestant's Qualified Amateur status.

So if you like Guitar Center and value there opinion if you make 20K a year playing music you are a pro..Or if you have any endorsement deals they don't like..

• Members

the thread did not fail because you learned something useful about the meaning of language and the use or misuse of it. Incidentally, there is no consistent connection between ability and getting paid. There is however a connection between the marketability and getting paid.

this

UGH - A MORAL to the story - YUCK.

everyone find a corner - 10 thread timeout

• Members

I tend not to think of it by income as much as by attitude.

Example: Guitarist shows up on time, with an amplifier in good working condition. His guitar stays in tune, and he plays adequately for the job at hand. If he has technical difficulties, he handles the problem in a timely manner and doesn't let it affect his performance. He doesn't get inebriated or cause problems with other band members, venue employees, or the audience.

You could refer to this guy as a "real pro" because he handles his business.

Example: Guitarist shows up late, he forgot his cables, and he asks top borrow yours. He decides that he should take all the solos and show off his Van Halen licks in every song, even Hang On Sloopy. He gets on the mic and asks for the staff to "bring him 3 more beers" so he can get through the set, and on break goes outside to get stoned. When he comes back onstage for the next set, he turns his amp up some more because his hearing goes out the drunker he gets, so now he's the loudest guy onstage, through his amp and on his mic. After the show he gets in a fight with the bar manager because he doesn't think he should have to pay his tab because he's in the band.

This guy isn't a pro, no matter how much money he makes.

Archived