The Propheads Have Lost Their Minds!

Ernest Buckley

• Members

What kind of music did you produce exclusivelly only with Reason?

I`ll answer for myself... I use REASON primarily for pre-production but lots of those tracks actually make the record. On my last record, I just started using REASON so it only made an appearance on one tune.

As for the record I`m making now, REASON is pretty much used on every tune. For example, if you click on that link below in my sig, you`ll hear a piano and strings eventually on the bridge (and atmospheric ear candy stuff). Thats REASON.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think most people have little idea how good these products are.

I agree. When Reason first came out, people on forums were complaining about how Subtractor sounded "thin," unlike they're hardware synths. I had to point out that Subtractor is one voice - stack as many of them as there are stacked voices in the average synth, and it's not thin at all.

And few people realize how good the transposition algorithms are in the NN-XT.

• Members

What kind of music did you produce exclusivelly only with Reason?

Well I use Reason & Record so I use booth Reason devices along with an MPC2500, JD990, D550, Ultraproteus and the like - all of them are recorded into Record thought and mixed in with Reason FX, synths and I use the NNXT, Thor, Malstrom a lot I must confess......but the last album is in my signature (on my site) and everything on it was mixed down and finalised premastering in Reason + Record.

So does that count ?

• Members

I actually think this is justified in my case. I bought the Reason 5/Record 1.5 upgrade last year, but barely had much time to tinker around with it since then. When I heard R6 was coming out, I originally thought, "Oh great, I'm going to have to shell out another $129 for this one..." Not as much now! :)

• Members

What, so fully recoding the app in 64 bit, adding 64 bit rewire, audio transpose, sequencer and operational tweaks, Echo, Alligator and Pulverizer an extra stretch algo for audio, drag and drop functionality and unifying the two products as one is only $1.00 worth of coding labour ?

Seriously
:confused:

It's absolutely worth more than a dollar (I'm a Reason 5 owner). :lol:

But for some reason this grinds me hard in the wrong way. I have the same reaction with this as I do with anyone selling {censored} in Craigslist or other online sale websites and they make the statement "just make me an offer" without putting anything down for a price...

Well how about a dollar then? :rolleyes:

Seriously just name your price so I can decide if I want to bother you or not for it, because you obviously want more than a buck for your {censored}. It has nothing to do with being cheap. People for some reason get rage at people endlessly evaluating Reaper without paying the 60 bucks. When Cockos is pretty much asking for it by allowing an endless evaluation.

I can figure out pretty quickly if something is worth buying with a 2-4 week unrestricted demo (like cubase, izotope stuff, or before there was a free version of a lot of thier stuff IK stuff).

All I'm saying is this company is asking for a bunch of get it for one dollar guys.

• Members

I actually think this is justified in my case. I bought the Reason 5/Record 1.5 upgrade last year, but barely had much time to tinker around with it since then. When I heard R6 was coming out, I originally thought, "Oh great, I'm going to have to shell out another $129 for this one..." Not as much now!
:)

Also this.

My use of Reason however is only as a Rewired set of virtual instruments. I can't stand recording and editing midi data in Reason, but the synths in Reason are top notch.

Would love it if they ever decided to release the synths as plugins so I could ditch the Rewire workflow as well. I'm actually considering (if it goes on sale at any point) going with komplete for this reason.

• Members

My use of Reason however is only as a Rewired set of virtual instruments. I can't stand recording and editing midi data in Reason, but the synths in Reason are top notch.

Would love it if they ever decided to release the synths as plugins so I could ditch the Rewire workflow as well. I'm actually considering (if it goes on sale at any point) going with komplete for this reason.

If you're looking around, you should check out Omnisphere while you're at it. It's a great and versatile synth, and all the upgrades have been free so far. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

What, so fully recoding the app in 64 bit, adding 64 bit rewire, audio transpose, sequencer and operational tweaks, Echo, Alligator and Pulverizer an extra stretch algo for audio, drag and drop functionality and unifying the two products as one is only $1.00 worth of coding labour ?

Seriously
:confused:

You only have to write the code once. The collective $1 payments from say 100K individuals isnt a bad chunk of cash for a code writer.

Say everyone gives $10, thats a million bucks. I dont know how many will upgrade, but I dont see every individual paying like they are the only

recepiatant recieving the code, its a collective. Plus the merging of codes and upgrading programs is not all that hard for a good code writer.

I got a friend who works for BMC writing code full time. They get paid extremely well.

• Members

Well I use Reason & Record so I use booth Reason devices along with an MPC2500, JD990, D550, Ultraproteus and the like - all of them are recorded into Record thought and mixed in with Reason FX, synths and I use the NNXT, Thor, Malstrom a lot I must confess......but the last album is in my signature (on my site) and everything on it was mixed down and finalised premastering in Reason + Record.

So does that count ?

Yes. It counts.

I expected to hear electronica, and not a band and orchestra recorded in the studio.

• Members

If you're looking around, you should check out Omnisphere while you're at it. It's a great and versatile synth, and all the upgrades have been free so far.
:thu:

Best,

Geoff

Anything Eric Persing does is great, actually. Omnisphere just happens to be a little bit greater :)

• Members

Anything Eric Persing does is great, actually. Omnisphere just happens to be a little bit greater
:)

Eric Persing, Rene from Cakewalk (Dimension Pro is fantastic IMHO) and Jon (Concrete FX) who codes for Rob Papen all do some damn impressive work as does Urs Heckman (Zebra) - a very talented bunch of people indeed.

That said, whilst Reason is a "closed system" the people who code the app know how to get a lot of juice out of your computer CPU and I still find its modularity rather unique, especially in the way all the units interconnect via cv, gate, audio input/output and how lfo's and eg's for example of one device can manipulate another in various ways. It gets quite interesting too when converting CV to audio and audio to CV in interesting and unique ways.

It still yields best results when using higher sample rates i.e.24bit samples and so on and so forth and I'd love to see oversampling implemented into all the devices but it's a pretty flexible system once you dig in.

• Members

Eric Persing, Rene from Cakewalk (Dimension Pro is fantastic IMHO) and Jon (Concrete FX) who codes for Rob Papen all do some damn impressive work as does Urs Heckman (Zebra) - a very talented bunch of people indeed.

Good choices! Rene's masterpiece IMHO is Rapture, I'm totally into all the step sequencing and modulation possibilities. I like his update to the z3ta+, too.

• Members

+1 for Eric Persing and Spectrasonics. I use Omnisphere, Trilian and Stylus RMX and everytime I load any of them up I am amazed. Trilian is super, I love the electric basses but the Chapman Stick and acoustic bass samples are my favorite. When they did the Omnisphere release event at Ilio I got to meet Eric and natter with him a bit. Nice bloke.

I am happy with the digital audio production software I use, which can do everything what is doable today, knowing all the features are there in case I need any of it.

And what software is that exactly Mein Herr Alfred E. NeinStein?

• Members

Cool single, EB, I like it.

I'll upgrade my Reason combo for sure, didn't decide for how much but it's not one buck and not even fifty, more for sure. I respect what these people do too much to take an advantage.

I am pretty much agree with your sentiment, but I am probably going to pay around $60 and use the extra spare money to purchase a couple of props refills and save up for the new version of Recycle when it drops.

• Members

I did the upgrade yesterday, I didn't see an option for anything but a download but I didn't look for anything else either. It's kind of funny how they have you break it down into how much you'll pay per updated feature (I'm not even sure that 64 bit support means anything to me right now). I went ahead and coughed up $50 for it.

Seemed odd the e-mail receipt didn't direct to a download site. I'll log into the props site tonight, if I have time, and see if it's available there. Every other update I've done with them has been a CD/DVD received in the mail.

• Members

I did the upgrade yesterday, I didn't see an option for anything but a download but I didn't look for anything else either. It's kind of funny how they have you break it down into how much you'll pay per updated feature (I'm not even sure that 64 bit support means anything to me right now). I went ahead and coughed up $50 for it.

Seemed odd the e-mail receipt didn't direct to a download site. I'll log into the props site tonight, if I have time, and see if it's available there. Every other update I've done with them has been a CD/DVD received in the mail.

I went to the site late Thursday night after I received an email that REASON6 was available. The site was hammered with traffic so I could not purchase the upgrade but was able to download so I did. I went back on Saturday morning to try and purchase again, put in the $$$ amount I thought each new device was worth... sort of silly if you ask me but seriously, some of these new devices look really exciting.

At this point, I still have not purchased REASON6 because every time I put the item in my cart and go to sign in, the site logs me off. Very strange... basically what I`m getting out is I have downloaded REASON6 but have not played with it yet.:mad:

• Members

Got it on 30th, no problem at all. Installed but didn't have time yet.

Great, in the meantime, I tried again last night. Every time I log onto the site and begin the process of purchasing, the site kicks me out so I have to log in again. I tried this 3x last night and gave up again. Its the strangest thing. Its almost like they don`t want me to have it. :eek:

Conspiracy...

Archived