Pro Tools 10

UstadKhanAli

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm having trouble finding the PT9 Complete Production Toolkit to PT10 Complete Production Toolkit price. Is it the same?

The CPTK is a separate deal to the actual version of Pro Tools.

My understanding is that PT 10 upgrade installs the necessary components for the CPTK, so if you have it with PT9, it will also get upgraded within the new version. In other words the "parts" are all there....if you don't have the CPTK, you will not even be aware of it.

So the $299 is the upgrade price to get from PT9-PT10 and includes any CPTK updates.

I see at the Avid site that the
PT9 to PT10 upgrade price
is $299.00, but I'm having trouble finding the PT9 Complete Production Toolkit to PT10 Complete Production Toolkit price. Is it the same?

Best,

Geoff

"Huh?" got it right:

The novelty in the installers of Pro Tools 9 (and now 10) is that they install everything from Pro Tools 10, Pro Tools HD 10 and the "Complete Production Toolkit" (CPTK). It all depends on what licenses are present in your iLok.

That said, if you have the CPTK license in your iLok since, say, Pro Tools 7, 8 or 9, it is the same one yet :) No need to pay for an update. It will open since it's already installed.

:wave:

• Members

Does the smiley face mean you got the industry insider price? The reviewer rate.
:lol::p

Yes. Companies realize that if I had to buy everything that I write about or review, I'd have to switch careers. Different software companies handle things differently, though. Some provide time-limited versions, which is actually kind of short-sighted because it means after the cutoff date, I can't do any more "for example" screen shots in articles, and if someone asks me a question about the program, I won't be able to answer it. Others are more liberal, while others offer dealer cost (especially for hardware, because once I've reviewed it and taken it apart, they can't sell it as new any more).

However, I have an "internal rule" that if I use software personally, for my own projects and not just as a journalist, I compensate the company anyway. In almost all cases, their preferred method of compensation is for me to provide tips/articles to their web site, spend time helping out other users in their forums, contribute patches in the case of soft synths, etc. In the case of Pro Tools 10, I'm writing a book called "The Guitarist's Guide to Pro Tools," and they wanted to make sure I had the latest version for doing screen shots and such. Of course, I did NOT say no :)

• Members

Damn it to hell !!! After watching all these Protools videos on fixing drum mixes and others aspects of it, I may just have to buy it and try it. Especially with all these young metal drummers wanting these crazy fast bps !!! Tracktion doesnt offer any thing along the lines of Beat Detective and quick editing of drums. Its all slice and move stuff one at a time. And thats time consuming. And its interface (GUI) seems more friendly than the others. Oh well, time to try another DAW. Hopefully this one will play nice and not crash all the time like Cubase did when I was trying it out.

All studios I work with use ProTools, and it seems to work perfect, but you can't compose with that damn thing.

That may have been true at one point, but it's not anymore. Pro Tools wasn't a "sequencer" first - it started out as an audio editor. And Logic was a sequencer, not an audio editor. I remember when Digidesign distributed both... and you could use Logic with your Digidesign hardware; back then, a lot of folks did their composition in Logic and the audio recording / editing / mixing in Pro Tools. Hey, it's still a viable approach if you know both programs. I know for a fact that Craig will jump from sequencer to sequencer (or DAW to DAW), depending on what he's doing - why not use the tool that you like best for a specific task? :)

But again, that was the old days, and today, you can do perfectly fine working with audio in Logic and MIDI in Pro Tools. The last several major revisions (especially 7 and 8) made big improvements to the MIDI side of Pro Tools, and it's a perfectly capable sequencer now.

Hmmm...found out I have to uninstall PT9 before installing PT10. I prefer programs where you can have side-by-side installations "just in case," but there's always System Restore
:)
so I guess I'll create a restore point, then proceed.

I just installed it over Pro Tools 9 :facepalm: ... What a great Tech Support I am.

* Ok, I'm not the Tech Support guy any longer ... and it worked fine, anyway :D Perhaps in Mac it simply works like this.

• Members

Gus, I think it's a Mac thing because with Windows 7 (I'm using the 64-bit OS, BTW) a dialog box appeared that said an older version of PT was detected on my system, and I had to uninstall it before I could install PT10. I also had to blow away the HD drivers, which wasn't clear at first.

Aside from those issues, it installed without problems, and is working very smoothly...even for a 10.0.0 version (too many zeroes scare me). I've been using it mostly with FXpansion's Geist and Transfuser (dance music overkill!! cool!!) and with the V-Studio audio interface, and it's fine.

I've been working primarily with a 256-sample buffer, but just because Avid says you can't have Aero enabled with settings below 128 samples without having audio issues, I of course had to try setting 64 samples with Aero enabled. Oddly, it worked just fine. Maybe it wouldn't do so well if I had lots of tracks, but I always had problems getting really low latencies with PT so I'm frankly surprised it works smoothly at 64 samples, with or without Aero.

Overall, though, PT doesn't seem to like having sample buffers changed a lot...I think it wants you to choose something, and more or less stick with it. Also, it does appear the "multiple of 64 samples" limitation still exists, at least with ASIO interfaces; when I set the V-Studio to 96 samples, Pro Tools refused to open, saying it didn't recognize the interface. But overall, I'm a happy camper so far with how it's working. Between this and Sonar X1e being really solid, DAW-world is looking good around here. :thu:

• Members

Here is all I know:

Pro Tools LE7 to LE8: $50, and you got some awesome new plugs and a higher track count. IIRC it was $150 for earlier versions.

Pro Tools LE8 to 9: $300 (and rightfully so, it was a massive upgrade the list of new features was massive)

Pro Tools 9 to 10: $300, except the problem is this isn't a massive upgrade, more like the LE7 to 8 upgrade. The price of this upgrade shouldn't be any more than $100 and I would say around $300 for those going from LE8/mp8 to 10.

• Members

Got Pro Tools 10. Before I install and hose my current DAW setup, does anyone know if 10 will install on XP SP3 ? I guess I can just give it a try and see if it says "You Big Dummy !! You Need Windows 7"
I have 7 but hate to install it.

I highly doubt it, as Windows 9 scolded me when I tried to install it on Vista. It locked me out, I couldn't even try to install it. I suspect it's Windows 7 or nothing.

OTOH you'll thank them for making you install Windows 7 :) I resisted because everything was working well under XP, and if it ain't broke...but finally, I ran into so many programs that required Windows 7 I bit the bullet and installed. Now I wish I'd done it much sooner.

• Members

I've heard Windows 7 is supposed to be quite good. I've used it only momentarily on one of the school's computers (not mine, unfortunately!! I'm running an old computer here at work with XP that has a floppy drive, which tells you how modern that is!) and it looked really good and was nice and fast and smooooooooov!!!! :D

Make sure someone makes a note of this post in case I am further branded a Mac fanatic. :D >

• Members

I highly doubt it, as Windows 9 scolded me when I tried to install it on Vista. It locked me out, I couldn't even
try
to install it. I suspect it's Windows 7 or nothing.

OTOH you'll thank them for making you install Windows 7
I resisted because everything was working well under XP, and if it ain't broke...but finally, I ran into so many programs that required Windows 7 I bit the bullet and installed. Now I wish I'd done it much sooner.

Thanks C !! Well time to install win7. Heading out now, wish me luck. I have a few Miller Lites and a Montain Dew, so Im prepared.

• Members

Thanks C !! Well time to install win7. Heading out now, wish me luck. I have a few Miller Lites and a Montain Dew, so Im prepared.

I think you will find that the install process is waaaay simpler than for previous versions of Windows. The main difference I noted, and I don't know why this happens, is that I'm able to get MUCH lower latencies than I could ever get with XP. If I ran Pro Tools under 256 samples, it was risky. Now it runs at 64 sample. Granted, maybe it's the Roland drivers, but I seem to get similar improvements with other interfaces. If you have a 64-bit ready system, by all means, get the 64-bit version as 99% of my 32-bit programs run just fine and the 64-bit ones scream.

To me, the increased speed and stability with DAWs is worth the price of the upgrade. The equation goes something like this:

Best of XP + [Vista - (Vista crap)] + (Microsoft taking consumer feedback to heart) = Windows 7

• Members

Installed win7 pro 64bit no problem. Just time consuming getting all the updates for win7 and my peripherals and motherboard drivers. Installed Protools and had an issue with it not loading unless my interface was set to 256 samples. I tried lower and higher settings and protools would crap out. So I reinstalled my Mackie 1640i drivers and that seemed to fix it. I got my current DAW (Tracktion 3) running under win7 and its does fine too. Will tacke doing windows 7 tweaks tomorrow and play with PT10 all day to see how it holds up. Need to see if there is a demo session to load up and load it down with plugins and mess with it. Really bog the system down and see how it holds up. Give it a nice burn in session :) But, so far so good !!! Knock on wood !!!!

• Members

About that Clip Gain...

As has been pointed out numerous times, many programs have had this for a long, long time. But, I have to say after using Clip Gain, it's the best implementation I've seen in terms of flexibility. You can do static gain, where you basically change the level of the entire Clip, or dynamic gain, which can have changes. These can be done by adding nodes for breakpoint automation, drawing nodes in freehand, or applying shapes like lines, triangle modulation, random modulation, etc.

Here's a screen shot of the pencil tool drawing both freehand, and a shape/

2cjHe.jpg

After you're done with your clip gain adjustments, you can also render it to the clip. This all happens pre-plug-in processing, so it's great for altering, say, the drive going to an amp sim.

I like it :thu:

• Members

Also, aside from the low-latency monitoring thing (which I haven't checked out yet), it seems like operation is much more stable at lower latencies than I experienced previously. I've been able to run it at 64 samples consistently, which I wasn't able to do with PT 9...it may be some other variable, though as I've made quite a few changes to my system recently.

Archived