Marty Friedman

Phait

• Members

I love this guy's style. Damn. Ever since starting guitar 14 years ago, Megadeth's Youthanasia was huge for me. Trying to tackle that was pretty impossible but - I'm coming around, later than ever, and want to learn some new chops.

Anyone studied Friedman? Advice? The thing is I don't really do speed-wanking metal at all, I play with more emotion. But I figure if I can get down the Youthanasia album then I'll have a few things up my sleeve to work with.

uIGRzgsAJTw

o657RjvCBTo

:love: :love: :love:

• Members

All his solos note for note are difficult, yet intriguing. The solo to "Skin Of My Teeth" is definitely on my to do list when I get around to it.The "Symphony of Destruction" solo was easier to learn than I thought considering I hadn't learned anything by ear for like 6 months.

• Members

I hate to say this as a die-hard Megadeth fan since 86...but Youthanasia is a giant piece of horse{censored} that I will never listen to again in my life.

That said, Marty did some amazing work with the band before that album. Rust in Peace is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. Always will be.

• Members

I met Marty at a Megadeth show in Osaka in 1991. My friend was Megadeth's manager and he put me and my (now ex) wife on the guest list.We went backstage before the concert and met Dave and Marty.They were both really nice guys. Marty can speak japanese like a native!

My ex was a huge Megadeth fan.That is how we met,she had posted an ad as a Megadeth fan looking for friends in the pen pal section of Kerrang! magazine. She was an even huge-er fan the night we met Megadeth because she was 9 months pregnant! My 19 yr old son's first concert.

Megadeth-Kerrang-Magazine-483059-991.jpgMegadeth-Kerrang---June-6-483597-991.jpg

• Members

I hate to say this as a die-hard Megadeth fan since 86...but Youthanasia is a giant piece of horse{censored} that I will never listen to again in my life.

That said, Marty did some amazing work with the band before that album. Rust in Peace is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. Always will be.

...and it only cost me

• Members

marty.jpg

marty-1.jpg

When I got to meet him, I was going to have him autograph a Jackson catalog that had a page with his signature Kelly in it. He asked if I played and if I owned any Jacksons, I said that I did and he took me over to his guitar rack and put his brown Kelly on me (good think he's a better guitar player than photog, lol) and also showed me his Roswell Rhoads. Class A dude for sure. Thanks Marty for a night to remember!

martysgit.jpg

• Members

I love this guy's style. Damn. Ever since starting guitar 14 years ago, Megadeth's Youthanasia was huge for me. Trying to tackle that was pretty impossible but - I'm coming around, later than ever, and want to learn some new chops.

Anyone studied Friedman? Advice? The thing is I don't really do speed-wanking metal at all, I play with more emotion. But I figure if I can get down the Youthanasia album then I'll have a few things up my sleeve to work with.

:love:

I love Friedman. Some of the stuff he plays is just plain beautiful. I'm not exactly what you might call a scholar in everything Marty Friedman, meaning I studied a few Megadeth songs, but I don't know every note in every solo or anything like that. But I can tell you what has helped me personally develop this kind of style though.

As far as advice, I'd say the number one place to start is to learn and practice your arpeggio's and chord inversions all over the neck. One thing I noticed is that he uses these a {censored} TON. Often times he'll arpeggiate the chords in whatever song he's playing. The next thing I would suggest is if you don't already know it practice your harmonic minor scales, and other exotic scales such as the Hirojoshi scale. It's very similar to the harmonic minor just minus two notes, and gives you a wide interval sound you like hear in Marty's playing. He seems to have a lot of Japanese influences, so whatever Japanese you can incorporate into your playing is a plus. Most of all is you just can't mindlessly wank with this kind of playing. You have to train your ear to listen to what's going on in the song. When you come on a chord change or key change, you really have to be spot on. Even when Marty seems to be going 100 mph on the fretboard, he's listening to what he's playing, and anticipating the chord changes. He's thinking.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching the Melodic Control dvd he did. It's really one of the better instructional dvd's I've seen in that he actually takes the time to explain what's going on instead of just showing you licks. Most of the time I'll just watch it just for inspiration. It used to be on Youtube, I don't know if it still is or not. It really unlocks Marty's playing, and a lot of what I mentioned above is gone over in great detail. It's not for beginners though, and like I said earlier, you really have to know your chords and chord inversions.

Another tl;dr /csb post from me. Maybe this will help you though.

Archived