Guitar Cable

danxrs05

• Members

If you cant hear the difference between inexpensive ones and nice ones like Mogami and Live Wire elite, then nope, not worth it for you. Myself I hear the difference and so has everyone whose borrowed one of mine (Livewire elite).

• Members

"You'd have to go to a third world dustbowl to find a cable so crap it made a difference to tone." Hey, don't forget the swampy 3rd world nasty places like where I live. I figure cables are like high end guitars, cars, etc: for every X$ you pay above say $20-30 you get a tiny improvement few if any could hear, esp us players who can't hear anything anyway due to hearing loss...

• Members
there is a difference. but unless you have money to throw away, its not really worth it imo.

if you play with effects especially, you'll need a fair bit of money to couple everything together with expensive cables (mogami).

that being said, if you're a guitar into the amp kinda guy, its probably worth it to invest in a decent cable, something that won't crap out on you a week after you buy it. But keep in mind that coiling it, flexing it and bending it will decrease its lifespan and tone loss.

THIS^^^ is it. That being said...i have wanted to check out the new cables that GFS carries now (particularly the expensive one). Hey, i've got an idea! You could buy one of those and test it out for me so i dont have to spend the money if its not worth it. You'd do that for me right? ;)

• Members

There was a very good high end boutique cable comparison (at Premier, I believe), and the comments regarding each of the cable brands were absent of hype. But also germane to all of this was the conclusion that the cable testers came to at the end of the comparison: that if one is in a studio situation, or if one has a great degree of control over the sound that will be projected from the stage, some of the boutique cables are worth the investment. However, if one is apt--like me--to be playing in venues with horrible sound systems and problematic acoustics and noisy patrons, the differences in the cables is negated.

I'll look for that article and post a link to it.

• Members
if Monster cables are mostly hype, what's that make GFS "oxygen free" cables?
:lol:

Oxygen free has been around longer than GFS has been selling cables. My understanding is they don't corrode as quickly and therefore last longer and have less signal degradation. Big words for, "We're lying thru our teeth to get more of your $$$$". Personally, I have a buttload of Whirlwind 18 awg. and I've been using Redco ends. I make up quality cables that last a good long time. And I think you'll get more signal degradation using a high buck cable that's ten miles long than you will using a mid priced cable that's less than 10 feet long.

• Members

i run First Act cables from Wally World through 10 pedals connected by $1.50 GFS cables into my Crate VC3112 and it gets the job done.. i will invest in some good cables at some point, but more for build quality and warranty vs. sound... i think the sound differences most people hear are sound differences that they want to hear...

• Members

And I think you'll get more signal degradation using a high buck cable that's ten miles long than you will using a mid priced cable that's less than 10 feet long.

I haven't missed your hyperbole, but I do want to speak to the second part of that statement--about length.

From Jim Campilongo's site:

"I use Fulltone "Gold Standard" guitar cable, as short as I can handle, 8 ft to 10 ft. I believe cable length affects your sound. Fulltone cables are a bit "brighter" then most cables which is something I usually shy away from. I mean, have you EVER heard ANYONE say "I can't get enough highs out of this Telecaster!"? All that said, the Fulltone adds a nice clear fidelity I enjoy."

• Members

Oxygen free has been around longer than GFS has been selling cables. My understanding is they don't corrode as quickly and therefore last longer and have less signal degradation. Big words for, "We're lying thru our teeth to get more of your $$$$".

You're welcome to think that, but that's the only benefit of oxygen free wire. They last longer. It's a fact, not some marketing bull{censored}. Now, if you're the type of guy to go through a ton a cables, then it wont matter.

If you keep a cable for 10+ years, you'll notice a difference.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

While I agree that you do pay for the Monster name somewhat with their stuff I have to say that I switched out all of the lengthy cables in my set-up (planet waves, d'addario) with Monster Rock cables and could hear an audible improvement overall- just cleaner and a little more punchy. Not night and day by any stretch but the investment was worth it for me, also just found out you can trade them out if they ever go bad at any Guitar Center regardless of where you bought them, no questions asked.

• Members

I've got 2 of the highest quality cables from GFS. They work fine for me. Granted I may not be as picky as some of you guys. Another option is DIY. Go to redco and get some 1/4 connectors and mogami instrument cable. Thats probably the cheapest solution.

• Members

You'd have to go to a third world dustbowl to find a cable so crap it made a difference to tone. The thing that's worth paying for is good construction. Those crappy sealed plastic jack holders don't survive very long. A nice cable with good sturdy metal jack holders will last forever.

Actually every cable with metal jack holders I've ever owned has stopped functioning within 2 weeks. My Monster cable with rubber holders, however, has continued to function at full capacity for years.

• Members

Actually every cable with metal jack holders I've ever owned has stopped functioning within 2 weeks. My Monster cable with rubber holders, however, has continued to function at full capacity for years.

You must be a lot more hardcore than most. :idk:

I usually use newer cables, but I still have one from Music-Go-Round from before they had a website... At least it doesn't list the website on the heat shrink. I'm guessing it's over 15 years old.

There are plenty of bad cables out there. The cheapest Fender cables... I think they're called the California Series or something like that, I have four of them. Two of them are still in their packages, the two I used, I needed to touch up with some extra solder. That's pretty terrible QC but they were less than $10 each.

:idk:

Archived