Tele 5 saddle vs. 3 saddle: Can you call it? (sound clips)

twotimingpete

• Members

I got this red fender standard telecaster from a forum member. I think it's a 2009. These are great guitars.

redtele1.jpg

He also gave me this wilkinson 3 saddle bridge.

wilkbridge.jpg

I figured I'd record a bit of before and after sound samples to see if I could figure out what the differences are between the bridges, if any. Everything but the bridges is the same, including distance from strings to pickups. The pod studio preset is exactly the same between every clip. There are no differences in EQ or string gauge, etc. Everything is the same.

With a few minutes of work, this

redtele2.jpg

became this.

redtele3.jpg

In both cases the intonation is a bit off, with bridge swapping going on I wasn't in a rush to spend time setting it up.

Here are three sound clips. All of them start with a gently strummed C chord, a less-gently strummed C octave chord, and then like a minute of random {censored}ing around.

Since it's common wisdom that 3 saddle bridges sound sooo much more vintage tele than 6 saddle, I figured I'd let you guys call it since it should be so obvious. And hell, maybe it IS obvious. I have an opinion but I'm not saying what it is just yet.

Which one(s) are 3 saddle and which one(s) are 6 saddle? Each bridge is represented by at least one of the following links.

edit: I'll make it a bit easier since leaving it so open isn't as fun. Only one of the clips is 3 saddle.

Sample A: link

Sample B: link

Sample C: link

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't profess to know which is which, but I liked the sound of B the best. A sounded raspy, C seemed smoother/thicker than B, as if you were adding a pinch more gain or drive.

For the record, I've never been a member of the Eric Johnson, "Bro...put those vintage trem springs back in, you're killing my tone", club (I actually read an interview with him where he talked about the difference trem springs make regarding tone, and for all I know he may be right). :D

• Members

The tone is an emulated ac30 in pod farm -- I saved the preset, so there are no difference in gain, and the volume/tone onboard the guitar are dimed in every one. Perceived differences in loudness/gain I would attribute to how hard I was hitting the thing, I guess.

• Members

For the record, I've never been a member of the Eric Johnson, "Bro...put those vintage trem springs back in, you're killing my tone", club (I actually read an interview with him where he talked about the difference trem springs make regarding tone, and for all I know he may be right).
:D

tumblr_l57g7bx5hq1qaaafzo1_500.jpg?w=450

• Members
I think it's daphne blue, LPB is nowhere near that bright and greenish unless the photo was doctored or something!

btw I added a poll option so we can see if the forum in general gets it right.

On the subject of avatars - since I already weighed in on the bridge saddle part - I've been meaning to ask you for a long time who that is in yours. I want to say Barbara Hershey when she was younger.... :)

• Members

why are you saying 5 saddles? it's clearly 6!?

i think A & C are the 6 steel saddles, and i think B is 3-saddles because brass would be a bit warmer

they all sound good though

I have no idea, I just say 5 instead of 6, over and over, and I have no idea why.

• Members

Have no idea but thanks very much for taking the time to do that and post it.

I voted B just because it was the sound I liked most.

BTW.. maybe it's just a coincidence but none of the tonewood, everything makes a big difference, I have pro ears, scientific proof, I have 360 years experience in field, guys have shown up on this thread. Damn, I wonder why?

• Members

Haven't listened yet, but was the "before" clip done with a brand-new set of strings just like I presume the "after" clip was?

This. When you say "everything" is the same, that has to mean the strings are the same. Or at the very least, all were recorded with new strings.

Recording A sounds twangier, but is it the bridge or newer strings?

Archived