is this ALDER OR ASH BODY (need some experts to look at some pics)

Johansolo

• Members

i bought a used modified Fender HWY1 tele body. honey blonde colour, which had the finish wiped off with acetone to reveal a natural grain.

apaprently the hwy1 came in alder, but there was a texas version that was ash...

can anyone distinguish alder/ash from my pics

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00500.jpg

DSC00498.jpg

with flash

DSC00510.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

• Members
Alder

t2297c.jpg

QUOTE]

i think it looks closer to this...

the main reason im asking is because im not happy with the colour match with the maple neck, so ive sanded the nitro? off and im planning on staining it with this stuff

http://www.feastwatson.com.au/WoodstainsProoftint.asp

the maple or gold teak finishes.

but after some researching it appears ashI(open grain?) needs grain filler...and alder is harder to get a good consistant finish...and it need some sort of sealant after sanding but before staining?

• Members

i think it looks closer to this...

the main reason im asking is because im not happy with the colour match with the maple neck, so ive sanded the nitro? off and im planning on staining it with this stuff

the maple or gold teak finishes.

but after some researching it appears ashI(open grain?) needs grain filler...and alder is harder to get a good consistant finish...and it need some sort of sealant after sanding but before staining?

Ash especially swamp ash will need a ton of grain filling. Alder will not require much if any. I will say Alder can be difficult to get a really consistant finish, but I"d bet that company's website you linked to has some sort of pre treatment for staining. It keeps things a little more even and generally makes it so you need a few more coats to get a little darker finish.

• Members

^ yup...Feast watson have 2 sealers...one recomended for open grain (ash?) and one for oily woods(alder) for use before the prooftint i want to get.

hence why i kinda need/want to know what wood my body is before i go buy the wrong stuff

• Members

Highway 1's have a polyurethane sealing coat which is unaffected by acetone. If thats all the guy did, the poly is still on, which would explain the sheen in the pics.

Otherwise is is VERY porous, as noted. You can't miss it. Before grain filling and sealing its impossible to miss; even after filling and sealing you shoul easily spot the filled pores.

I say Alder and still sealed. But it looks like the sealer coat is a bit beat up, I think you have a lot of elbow grease with a sanding block in your future.

• Members

Highway 1's have a polyurethane sealing coat which is unaffected by acetone. If thats all the guy did, the poly is still on, which would explain the sheen in the pics.

Otherwise is is VERY porous, as noted. You can't miss it. Before grain filling and sealing its impossible to miss; even after filling and sealing you shoul easily spot the filled pores.

I say Alder and still sealed. But it looks like the sealer coat is a bit beat up, I think you have a lot of elbow grease with a sanding block in your future.

oh yeah ive started sanding (havent got photos yet) and yes...still a lot of elbow grease to go. ive managed to smooth out some of the chips/dents in the edges thou.

im gonna be attacking it with some power tools to do the tummy cut and possibly forearm carve as well so im a long way from finishing.

Archived