So what's wrong with Peavey?

honeyiscool

• Members

I wouldn't be afraid of a bandit. I had a friend who had one and it was an OK amp. I know for a fact that I could get a good tone from it now. You can't really over-do that "saturation" distortion. If you like that gainy distortion, you probably wouldn't like that amp. I know that it has plenty of clean headroom and sounds good with a rat in front of it.

If you think a bandit sounds like {censored}, what kind of music do you play? How did you have the knobs set? If you turned everything up to 10, then I agree that it probably sounded like {censored}. But I bet it would sound pretty damned good with everything set to 5.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From 1994 through about 2003, my one and only amp was a Peavey Classic Chorus 212.. I dragged that amp all over the place (literally, sucker weighed a ton!) and it never flinched. After it finally died, I got a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15.. Again, tough as nails, absolutely bomb proof.. I'm into modelers these days, but if I ever need an amp for playing out, Peavey will always be my first and only choice.

• Members

I think it's justly deserved. I played on a friend's Bandit 1x12" for a year before I bought my own amp. I knew it sounded terrible, even then. The cleans were flat, sterile, lifeless and dull. The "gain" channel? Harsh, metallic, piercing with absolutely no smoothness or definition. The reverb was pitifully bad.

I recently had rehearsal space in a full-blown warehouse, and my bassist dug an old Bandit out from his house and had it laying around. We plugged it in for about 10 minutes, and unplugged it quickly after. It was as bad as I remembered it back in the 80's.

I think their only saving grace was that they were cheap...affordable to a 14 year-old, without too much trouble. The modern equivalent of that amp is the Fender FM212R...it has almost exactly the same sonic characteristics...and it's just as cheap.

Peavey Bandit? Are you comparing it to other brands {censored}ty solid state amps?

Peavey's tube amps are better bang for your buck than Fender's IMO.

I always hated the tone of the 6505/5150 whatever the hell you call it, but that's not my style of amp anyway.

• Members

Anyway can we all agree that the reason why everyone's first amp sucked isn't necessarily because the amp sucked? It might have been the player.

My first amp was a Fender 30, post CBS, purchased in 1981. I had to have extensive work done on it a few years ago, but it still sounds great! Actually sounds even better than when I first got it, based on my playing having improved.

• Members

I personally LOVE my Peavey :idk: I have a Triple XXX and i think it sounds great. I hear a lot of hate from that amp but it ranks higher than the 5150 and 6505 because of the 3 channels IMO. The clean does suck, but i just get a bunch of pedals to clean up that tone. I'm into heavier music though, so i guess if people don't like the tone, they don't have to listen to me play :lol: Plus it costs around $1000 new which is pretty good for a Peavey amp. I only got it for 450 so i can't complain about price. I've had it for a few years and it still sounds great to me.

I think they just came out with a new Triple XXX model though except without all of the mudflap babes on it and funny names for the settings (Bottom = Bass, Hair = Treble, Body = Mids :lol:) The new one to resemble the XXX is the 3120 if i'm not mistaken.

• Members

He talks about the switch back to Marshall in the below interview.

Perfect, thanks!

Part of the problem I had with Peavey is that after the amp initially came out, the changes that I wanted to see made to the amp were way too slow in coming. During the production of the Chickenfoot album we were working on a 50-watt head, and there was just no progress. It was grinding to a halt and I was wondering,

• Members

Peavey Bandit? Are you comparing it to other brands {censored}ty solid state amps?

Peavey's tube amps are better bang for your buck than Fender's IMO.

I always hated the tone of the 6505/5150 whatever the hell you call it, but that's not my style of amp anyway.

I'm directly equating the sound of an 1980's-era Solid State Peavey Bandit to a modern Fender Solid State FM212R... they share most of the same miserable characteristics.

• Members

Hmmm...I have a vastly different recollection. There was not the bevy of affordable amps back then like there are now. In fact, there was almost no mid level tube amps on the market. The Bandit in comparison to anything else at a comparable price back then was a God send. The Bandit even had some celebrity endorsements circa '90 and is rumored to be used on the first Marilyn Manson album. It was and continues to be a good amp. Like any amp it has its own tone which not everyone will love (or even like) but the models from circa 1990 forward represent an excellent value for a good sounding giggable amp.

Blues icon WC Clark uses one live or did when I saw him a few years ago. He sounded great with his maple boarded Les Paul copy straight into a Bandit. I've been on the lookout for one ever since.

• Members

I'm in the middle of a massive, downsizing sell-off that includes a few Peavey guitars -- from vintage T-series axes to their highest price point recent production -- that served me faithfully and well for many years (good sounding, very playable, essentially unbreakable), and I'll tell you what: amongst the very few things I'm keeping is a butterscotch Peavey Generation Triple/Single EX that I paid $149 dollars for on closeout, and which is more fun to play (and hear!) than guitars I've had that cost more than literally ten times that; it's my "leave it out on a stand, always there" electric. And if I were in the market for more electrics, I'd buy an Omniac and an HP Special stoptail in a second.

Archived