So what's wrong with Peavey?

honeyiscool

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Perhaps, but you couldn't find a higher-end Peavey amp at music stores around me during the 80's. Places simply didn't carry them. They were widely viewed as entry-level by the music stores themselves, both the guitars and the amps.

Amps? You saw a ton of Marshall, Fender, some Randall. The best you could find from Peavey was a solid-state 2x12", and it was always cheaper than anything by those first three. The only other entry level amp brand that I saw regularly were the old wood-stripe Crates, which were just as bad as the Peaveys, but slightly less expensive.

Electric Guitars? You saw a ton of Gibson, Jackson, Kramer, Hamer, Charvel, and B.C. Riches. {censored}, it was hard to find a place that actually carried Fender Strats during the 80's.

Thems were the times...Metal was king, and the product lines were represented as such.

I agree, Metal was king... to us perhaps. But the radio told another story....at least until the late 80's. Plenty of Pop, R&B, Blues, and Country to be had back then....Fender was still in demand, don't kid yourself. Ever heard of Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Yngwie? I may have been lucky as far as music stores went, because I remember drooling over some of the high end Fender Strats back then. Could be regional as to what was being marketed. There was no shortage of pointy guitars that's for sure, but none I ever lusted after. And yes, I was a metal-head too.

• Members

Fender was still in demand,

OLDER Fenders were in some degree of demand, but Kramer outsold both Gibson and Fender combined a few years in the 80's, IIRC. It was the Eddie Van Halen/Floyd Rose effect, and the age of the SuperStrat. Even Jeff Beck was playing a pink Jackson Soloist by that point...

By the mid-eighties, Fender was nearly defunct as a company. Before they were re-born as FMIC, it wasn't easy to find any new Fenders at all...they had outsourced all of their production to Japan until they could get the new factory up and running, and no one really wanted to touch the late 70's/early 80's stuff that was still left from the CBS days. It was largely junk.

I remember seeing plenty of Les Pauls and SG's on the walls of most guitar stores, but I can't remember seeing much Fender at all. It was all SuperStrats with Floyd Roses and Kahlers.

• Members
^ For me when it comes to Peavey PA equipment, they're so affordable I'm almost suspicious of them. Do you know what I mean? I mean they're really priced one step above Behringer and that makes you assume they are only as good as that.

Oh no...you did NOT throw Peavey and Behringer in the same category...:facepalm: Peavey may be on the cheaper side when it comes to price, but they build some quality gear. Sure, there are some cheap bits...but in general, Peavey makes tough stuff...and it sounds good, too! I'm a big fan of their PA gear, as well. Wish it was all still made in the USA, though.

• Members

OLDER Fenders were in some degree of demand, but Kramer outsold both Gibson and Fender combined a few years in the 80's, IIRC. It was the Eddie Van Halen/Floyd Rose effect, and the age of the SuperStrat. Even Jeff Beck was playing a pink Jackson Soloist by that point...

By the mid-eighties, Fender was nearly defunct as a company. Before they were re-born as FMIC, it wasn't easy to find any new Fenders at all...they had outsourced all of their production to Japan until they could get the new factory up and running, and no one really wanted to touch the late 70's/early 80's stuff that was still left from the CBS days. It was largely junk.

I remember seeing plenty of Les Pauls and SG's on the walls of most guitar store, but I can't remember seeing much Fender at all. It was all SuperStrats with Floyd Roses and Kahlers.

All true. Except I remember seeing Fender, but I'm referring more to late 80's, while you are referring more to the first half of the decade. I remember the Japan Fenders too.

• Members

They blow similarly priced Fenders out of the water in my opinion. Key phrase is similarly priced.

Maybe if you plan on keeping it forever. Classic 30's go for $650 new, and you'd be good to get $300 for a used one. Hot rod deluxe's go for $700, used average would be 'bout $400.

• Members

Compared to what? Not too many earth shattering logos that I'm aware of...

i work in marketing in los angeles for some of the biggest brands in the world. i can name a million fantastic logos in pretty much any market you want to talk about.

the peavey logo is not among any of them. it's atrociously executed likely hand drawn type (drawn poorly at that, from a typography standpoint) that's terribly, terribly dated.

• Members

So catman let me get this straight. You think if Peavey would increase their price points to major manufacture prices you and more people would consider them? That's total bull{censored}. If you look at their PA's and say well they're one step above Behringer in price so you have they must be bad then that's your ignorance. In today's world on the internet there's no excuse for people not looking up user reviews on gear. By in large people will be honest. You just have to take the time and research. Peavey has never been and never will be flashy, they're working man instruments and amps and they price their gear accordingly. If you want flashy name driven stuff then buy them. I have 2 Peavey guitars and they are excellent. I agree I though that I think their marketing strategies are stuck in the 70's and that log is hidious

• Members

peavey_logo_2430.gif

I like it.

The thing is, that's a Junior High School logo. That's something you doodle in your damned notebook when you're supposed to be doing algebra, and you're thinking about how cool your band could be, and that girl who sits in front of you.

I think I probably invented that logo myself somewhere, I just don't remember it too clearly. I certainly wouldn't build a major multimillion dollar company around it. But to Hartley's credit, it proves he's sort of a regular Joe Musician like the rest of us.

• Members

I ended up buying a DRRI (I got it at a pretty sizable discount), but for a while I was seriously considering buying a Classic 30, and read tons of user reviews, as well as asking my friends that owned them.

I don't remember reliability being mentioned as a recurring issue with them.

If I had the funds I would go for a DRRI in a heartbeat, but the used ones are barely cheaper than the new ones, almost 1000

• Members

I really quite like Peaveys and for years had a Peavey Deuce which was very good indeed (back in the late 1980s). I have been on the verge of getting a classic 30 or a delta blues a number of times.

I completely agree about the logo. If you look at that, you might assume that the amp was designed for '80s disco/pop. But they also have a bit of a problem with marketing. They don't seem to have latched onto a good narrative for many of their amps - should they be making more of artists using their products for example? Should they be talking about what is distinctive? Maybe that's the problem - they make some good all-rounder amps, which would be actually very good indeed for most of us on here, since we can never make our minds up, and they cover plenty of bases.

• Members

I love my peavey classic 50. Not once have i had a problem with it. it may be time for new tubes for it though, just because :D

I don't know why people don't like peavey. I love their stuff, and i don't think you can go wrong with it. My buddy bought a peavey les paul custom equivalent (can't remember the name), has a full body binding and neck iirc, and aside from the pots being totally useless, it is a an amazing guitar for 400 bucks.

And the classic 50, again is freaking amazing. it takes everything well, pedals, different speakers.... abuse :D

Next amp i am looking for is a classic 8 (or 5) so i can just have the classic 50 sound in my bedroom

• Members
Everybody raves about their products. I've had a Peavey Delta Blues 210 myself and I loved that thing.

Anyway, everybody knows the deal. Very excellent products, great prices, made in America.

So what's wrong with them?

I ask that because if something wasn't wrong with them, they'd sell more and be more expensive. Instead, they seem to always top the charts for "underrated" and "best value," which isn't exactly the race you want to be running. Other than the 5150, it just doesn't seem like any Peavey products have reached legendary status. Why?

Is it the logo? Because the logo does suck.

so why'd you get rid of the Delta Blues?? :cop:

• Members

They should switch to the Peavey logo that my Wolfie had...much better, as far as their guits go, my USA Wolfie was as good as any guitar ive has as far as quality and performance, and my cheap ass Predator EXP with the JB i threw in the bridge kicks ass.

Archived