So what's wrong with Peavey?

honeyiscool

• Members

Everybody raves about their products. I've had a Peavey Delta Blues 210 myself and I loved that thing.

Anyway, everybody knows the deal. Very excellent products, great prices, made in America.

So what's wrong with them?

I ask that because if something wasn't wrong with them, they'd sell more and be more expensive. Instead, they seem to always top the charts for "underrated" and "best value," which isn't exactly the race you want to be running. Other than the 5150, it just doesn't seem like any Peavey products have reached legendary status. Why?

Is it the logo? Because the logo does suck.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they are priced that way because that's where they fit in the market. Peavey has always positioned themselves to sell decent gear that working musicians could afford.

They could charge more but then they would be competing at the same price point as fender.

• Members

Well I don't know, though. I mean, the Classic series are just as good as Fender's offerings much more expensive. Yet you see people buying Hot Rod Devilles like they're any good when a Peavey can rightfully blow them out of the water at a similar price.

• Members

Well I don't know, though. I mean, the Classic series are just as good as Fender's offerings much more expensive. Yet you see people buying Hot Rod Devilles like they're any good when a Peavey can rightfully blow them out of the water at a similar price.

Every kid wants a fender. That names has serious pull.

• Members

I've played through quite a few of their amps that I thought were great. I used to use a Ranger 212 before it blew up and I replaced it with an AC30. It's great for the consumer that they're in the niche they are, but I agree - they could charge more. Many of their products outperform expensive ones, and their stuff holds up to serious abuse. My amp that blew up did so because it had a very hard life - the previous owner abused the hell out of the thing, and it needed extensive repair. After I bought it, it suffered a couple pretty bad falls, and - seriously - a hurricane. It was in a room that was absolutely wrecked because of a hurricane, and it still kept kicking for almost five years. I ended up just selling the chassis, because I couldn't figure out the problem. Someone in Miami got a really nice project amp.

• Members

I prefer Peavey amps to Fender amps almost in every case.

• Members

Peavey stuff - and I'm talking about 70s and 80s era - is built like a tank. Amp cabinets unfortunately were MDF (at least the tolex amps like the Bandit), which meant good bye if they ever got wet. But the circuitry and components were always done well. Not stellar, but done well. Same goes for their guitars.

• Members

They don't have nearly as much US-made stuff as they used to, but they've always kinda been the working man's gear. How many CS power amps and SP speakers do you see with small bands? They're everywhere. They have had their very well respected stuff over the years including the Cirrus basses, 5150s and Wolfgang guitars and such, but they've always been about bang for the buck.

• Members

the logo. it's an atrocity.

Haha...

peavey_logo.jpg

Someone got paid to make this logo, and someone got paid to think it was a good idea to use this logo. When you stare at this logo long enough, you can almost begin to believe that maybe there is something fundamentally wrong with Peavey after all.

I think the only worse logo I've ever seen in the music industry is the Blackheart logo:

blackheart_logo_color_lo.jpg

I've paid money for Blackheart AND Peavey, though. Maybe I just like bad logos.

• Members

The good stuff and the {censored} have the same name, that's what. After hearing my friend's Rage and my own Bandit, I'd never buy Peavey again.

Even Marshall has turds. And to be fair, the Rage and Bandit are SS budget minded practice amps. They aren't pulling any punches there.

• Members

The Peavey Vandenberg has also reached legendary status.

I think the problem is that they either follow the pack and don't stand out enough to become iconic, or they are so different/weird that not enough people want it that it fails to become iconic.

About the only exceptions are the 5150 and the Vandenberg.

But that's just my opinion.

• Members

The good stuff and the shit have the same name, that's what. After hearing my friend's Rage and my own Bandit, I'd never buy Peavey again.

Almost any companies low end cheap gear is pretty bad. Why not try a few of their better offerings? You may be surprised. I'd suggest checking out a C30. Very nice, inexpensive and responds well to mods.

:thu:

• Members

The Peavey Vandenberg has also reached legendary status.

I think the problem is that they either follow the pack and don't stand out enough to become iconic, or they are so different/weird that not enough people want it that it fails to become iconic.

About the only exceptions are the 5150 and the Vandenberg.

But that's just my opinion.

My Nitro came out around the same time as the Vandenberg, and is a *way* better guitar. To be fair, though, my guitar is a limited edition neck-thru model. The standard bolt-on Nitros were no great shakes. http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p146/one4rich/Gear%20Pics/?action=view&current=PeaveyNitro001.jpg

Archived