Fender Pawn Shop Series~Guitars that never were but should have been?

newbuilder

• Members

I like the Mustang but I can't believe they modified that beautiful Mustang body.

Seriously, it looks like a bad Mustang copy now.

Still like it.

The Mustang looks like what the Jag-Stang should've, shape-wise at least. They finally implemented both into the design with the contoured arm rest and fattened body, looks awesome to me, could've been a new model really. The PG video says they're using the Lee Ranaldo sig PUs, which are a re-voiced Wide Range but the Fender site says Enforcer Wide Range, hmmmm.....??

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the Mustang seems to give the most control, from looking at the video. I don't like guitars that don't have a tone knob. If they made a semi-hollow Mustang: maybe. Seems the 72 could use a bit more subdued binding on the f-hole. Looks like toilet paper hanging out the back of a woman's dress.

• Members
Frankly some of the "these things cost a bit too much" talk strikes me as people being spoiled by what Squier is putting out these days.

There is truth in this. "Lower end" guitars aren't so "lower end" any more and have shown a lot of imagination in the past decade. :thu:

• Members
Frankly some of the "these things cost a bit too much" talk strikes me as people being spoiled by what Squier is putting out these days.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Fact is that Squier and others have shown that you can put out very solid products at the low end of the market, it stands to reason that potential customers would expect more from higher-priced Fenders. Are you saying we should dole out more for the Fenders regardless of their quality, and be grateful for it?

For the higher price I expect more out of a Fender. When Squier picks up their game I expect Fender to do so as well, to justify their higher prices. If they don't, I'll get the Squier and spend the extra money on mods. If that makes me spoiled then so be it. :wave:

• Members

I like the 51. Always wanted a Tele neck on a Strat body, although the bridge humbucker sounds a little muddy and hate the single coil option on the bridge pick-up. Maybe a comprimise on amp setting between the neck and bridge pick-up.

• Members
The Fender '51 looks cool. Especially the blonde one.

But to me, $800 seems to be asking too much for it. If it was in the price range of the MIMs at least, that would be a better deal IMHO. Calling it "Pawn Shop", and then charging $800 doesn't make much sense to me.

You looked at the prices pawn shops are charging for guitars lately????? ;)

• Members

I received my Mustang Special today, the blue of course, and played it at high volume for about 4 hours today. I absolutely love it, plays great, sounds bad ass, and looks killer, IMO.

First off, the finish and overall build quality are just superb in every way, really well done. Gibson could learn a lot from Fender in this regard. The neck is where this guitar really shines, super fast and the med-jumbo frets feel perfect, I hate the vintage style fretwire, all thin and blah, this is much better. Fretwork is immaculate, actually better than that of the US made Thurston Moore JM I recently sold.

So my main concern was definitely the pickups and whether or not they'd suck. I really didn't want to throw much extra $$ into this guitar but they are total winners, won't have to replace anything. Even though they're high output HBs, they don't have the sterile/generic sound many expect from a pickup like this. They are super lively and wide open sounding, really full cleans and they just rip through fuzz or distortion. The best part is the coil tap, as the single coils sound great without much volume loss and more important for me, they're almost as quiet as the HB setting, really impressive. Also, they're small, about the size of a mini humbucker, definitely not a standard size HB, which I didn't realize until seeing it today.

Each pickup has a 3 way selector above it that switches from HB to SC1 to SC2. The first single Coil positions is the standard Fender fare, lower output and twangy, sounds way better than I was expecting. The second position is a fuller version of a single coil, beefier, almost sits somewhere between a SC and HB. So with these switches and the standard 3 way toggle selector, it's really capable of a {censored} load of tones, from your classic Fender (almost) to an all out, sustaining, fuzz monster. Obviously just stepped foot into the Honeymoon phase but I think I'll be happy with this one for a long time.

ziinr.jpg

w9ZHH.jpg

• Members
I received my Mustang Special today, the blue of course, and played it at high volume for about 4 hours today. I absolutely love it, plays great, sounds bad ass, and looks killer, IMO.

Very cool, I totally want one of those. I'll give ya $500 for it. :)

Just kidding. Happy New Guitar Day.

• Members

The 'were out of ideas' series!

I would disagree. I think it's more of a "we know our customers don't tend to respond well to new body shapes, but they do like it when we provide new pickup/finish/switching/etc. variations on our old body shapes" series.

A lot of these Pawn Shop Series guitars are ideas that people have been exploring on their own for a while now. Before these ever came out I saw people modding Mustangs with dual Wide Range humbuckers, building partscaster Strats with semi-hollow bodies and humbuckers, and making their own higher-quality versions of the Squier '51. It's much less of a risk to put out a series like this than it is to come out with an entirely new guitar with a new body shape. I don't think they're out of ideas, I think they're just avoiding the {censored}storm you see when Gibson releases things like the Robot guitars or the Firebird X. :D

• Members

First off, the finish and overall build quality are just superb in every way, really well done. Gibson could learn a lot from Fender in this regard. The neck is where this guitar really shines, super fast and the med-jumbo frets feel perfect, I hate the vintage style fretwire, all thin and blah, this is much better. Fretwork is immaculate, actually better than that of the US made Thurston Moore JM I recently sold.

So my main concern was definitely the pickups and whether or not they'd suck. I really didn't want to throw much extra $$ into this guitar but they are total winners, won't have to replace anything. Even though they're high output HBs, they don't have the sterile/generic sound many expect from a pickup like this. They are super lively and wide open sounding, really full cleans and they just rip through fuzz or distortion. The best part is the coil tap, as the single coils sound great without much volume loss and more important for me, they're almost as quiet as the HB setting, really impressive. Also, they're small, about the size of a mini humbucker, definitely not a standard size HB, which I didn't realize until seeing it today.

Each pickup has a 3 way selector above it that switches from HB to SC1 to SC2. The first single Coil positions is the standard Fender fare, lower output and twangy, sounds way better than I was expecting. The second position is a fuller version of a single coil, beefier, almost sits somewhere between a SC and HB. So with these switches and the standard 3 way toggle selector, it's really capable of a {censored} load of tones, from your classic Fender (almost) to an all out, sustaining, fuzz monster. Obviously just stepped foot into the Honeymoon phase but I think I'll be happy with this one for a long time.

ziinr.jpg
w9ZHH.jpg

That is badass! Way to go!

• Members

very nice.. wish I could play with it!

btw how is the balance? is it neck heavy by chance?

• Members

I would disagree. I think it's more of a "we know our customers don't tend to respond well to new body shapes, but they do like it when we provide new pickup/finish/switching/etc. variations on our old body shapes" series.

A lot of these Pawn Shop Series guitars are ideas that people have been exploring on their own for a while now. Before these ever came out I saw people modding Mustangs with dual Wide Range humbuckers, building partscaster Strats with semi-hollow bodies and humbuckers, and making their own higher-quality versions of the Squier '51. It's much less of a risk to put out a series like this than it is to come out with an entirely new guitar with a new body shape. I don't think they're out of ideas, I think they're just avoiding the {censored}storm you see when Gibson releases things like the Robot guitars or the Firebird X.
:D

I totally agree here! I keep hearing people bitch about the Mustang having HB's or lack of a trem, but that is already available and has been forever. This guitar is for everyone else. I play Maton electrics and an LP Custom usually but I love the feel of a Fender. This way, I can get around the low output SC thing without any mods or routing. Perfect for me and the quality is far superior to the Blacktop or Classic Players I"ve tried out. PU's are substantially better as well.

• Members

Balance is great actually, I was worried about it being a bit neck heavy but it's good to go. If anyone is interested, the neck is a 60's C shape, medium thickness, really comfortable. Guitar weighs in at around 7 lbs also.

Thanks for the compliments gents, much appreciated.

I totally agree here! I keep hearing people bitch about the Mustang having HB's or lack of a trem, but that is already available and has been forever. This guitar is for everyone else. I play Maton electrics and an LP Custom usually but I love the feel of a Fender. This way, I can get around the low output SC thing without any mods or routing. Perfect for me.

sound clips, please, clean and overdriven.

btw, is the body the exact same as vintage mustangs or is it changed slightly? I can't tell.

• Members

sound clips, please, clean and overdriven.

btw, is the body the exact same as vintage mustangs or is it changed slightly? I can't tell.

The body is not the same, it's listed as a "Modified Offset". The biggest difference is the contoured arm rest like that on a Jag/JM/Strat. Also seems a little thicker all round. I don't have a Vintage or reissue to compare though. Sorry, not really set up to record at my house, I'll try and work something out at a buddies though over the weekend.

Archived