Fender Pawn Shop Series~Guitars that never were but should have been?

newbuilder

• Members

Congrats. That's my favorite new Fender product in a while. Bound neck and I think I might hafta have it.

Thanks! Yea, bound neck would've been a nice touch, block inlays would be cool too. It looks pretty slick though, I think Fender did a great job with this one.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, after you put it that way, I see that I am a selfish bastard.

Here's a little a knowledge I picked up along the way, I'll give something back. I ordered mine from a buddy at GC with his employee discount. When doing this, we saw that they had a lot of room to shave $$ off the $799 price tag. Anyone buying one should work 'em pretty hard, and have cash, and you'll get if for a really fair price.

Srsly though, I'll work on getting a decent demo together, fulfill all civic duties.

• Members

MIJ = sweet.

Concerned about the small proprietary pickups. I'm always experimenting and would prefer not to be stuck with stock.

The pickups are enforcer humbuckers with covers that look similar the 1970s Wide Range humbucker covers, but I think they're standard humbucker size. In other words, they're smaller than the Wide Range humbuckers (which are larger than standard humbuckers) but they're the same size as standard humbuckers. At least that's what I'm assuming. I doubt Fender would come out with a non-standard sized humbucker just for this series of guitars.

There is still the "problem" of having two height adjustment screws on one side of the pickup, which means that if you installed different pickups you would have to drill a hole in the pickguard between those two mounting holes. Or you could just get a different pickguard. It appears to be a standard Mustang pickguard, but I'm not certain.

• Members

The pickups are enforcer humbuckers with covers that look similar the 1970s Wide Range humbucker covers, but I think they're standard humbucker size. In other words, they're smaller than the Wide Range humbuckers (which are larger than standard humbuckers) but they're the same size as standard humbuckers. At least that's what I'm assuming. I doubt Fender would come out with a non-standard sized humbucker just for this series of guitars.

There is still the "problem" of having two height adjustment screws on one side of the pickup, which means that if you installed different pickups you would have to drill a hole in the pickguard between those two mounting holes. Or you could just get a different pickguard. It appears to be a standard Mustang pickguard, but I'm not certain.

Okay, thanks. The OP did say, "Also, they're small, about the size of a mini humbucker, definitely not a standard size HB, which I didn't realize until seeing it today," which is where my worries stemmed from. Presumably all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

On the two-holes, this is something I've considered before, because I'm also in the market for a Toronado, which has the same damn thing. I'm thinking what I'd do is solder a little tab of metal to the lugs of the pickups, with the holes drilled in the right places. Or, if they happen to match up, perhaps use Trembuckers, which have three holes.

• Members

Okay, thanks. The OP did say, "Also, they're small, about the size of a mini humbucker, definitely not a standard size HB, which I didn't realize until seeing it today," which is where my worries stemmed from. Presumably all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

On the two-holes, this is something I've considered before, because I'm also in the market for a Toronado, which has the same damn thing. I'm thinking what I'd do is solder a little tab of metal to the lugs of the pickups, with the holes drilled in the right places. Or, if they happen to match up, perhaps use Trembuckers, which have three holes.

Hmm... you might be right now that I look more closely. I was going by the fact that the description says they're Fender's Enforcer humbuckers, which are standard sized humbuckers (though they've put them in larger cases in the past to make them look like Wide Range humbuckers). It seems odd that they would develop non-standard sized pickups for these, particularly when they're so aware that people are constantly modding their guitars with new pickups.

I suppose at the very least you could get a new pickguard if they are smaller for some reason and you want to put standard-sized 'buckers in there. The body routes should still work without any modifications.

• Members

Fender's official description says the Mustang has "Enforcer 'Wide Range' humbucking pickups with downsized Wide Range covers". It would make sense to "downsize" them to the size of regular humbucker covers given that the pickups themselves are standard humbucker sized, but I guess I shouldn't assume that. I was going by what would make the most sense, but that doesn't mean Fender was thinking the same thing... :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just got a lpb one in the mail yesterday.The neck is really nice but the pick ups are not and it does not stay in tune very well either.I'm going to throw some 10's on it and do a set up...but it's looking like a return.

lpb?

Never mind, figured it out.

• Members

I'm dissapointed that they decided to use the wide range buckers on these. They make the guitar a pain in the ass to modify because the pickguard doesn't work with standard HB's, and those Fender reissue WR's are mediocre in the bridge, and flat out suck in the neck position..way too bassy. And I popped the covers off the 2 I took off of my 72 thinline reissue..they're just regular sized HB's underneath! What's the point other than the look? They could have kept the look and made lthem standard sized.

• Members

$800 for a Pawn Shop guitar? No thanks, I will wait for the Fender Flea Market Series.

:lol:

And I the '72 in the green is nice, but without a maple neck, it isn't $800 nice. Actually, it looks more like some sort of Squier Classic Vibe run. I'd pay maybe $550 for a '72 with a maple neck.

• Members

Got my Pawn Shop '72 yesterday and installed my Duncan Phat Cat in the bridge with a chrome surround. Aesthetically much more pleasing. This thing is a {censored}ing monster. It was set up incredibly out of the box and is just an incredible instrument. I'm loving it. Easily worth the price of admission.

DSC04594.jpg

• Members

Got my Pawn Shop '72 yesterday and installed my Duncan Phat Cat in the bridge with a chrome surround. Aesthetically much more pleasing. This thing is a {censored}ing monster. It was set up incredibly out of the box and is just an incredible instrument. I'm loving it. Easily worth the price of admission.

DSC04594.jpg

:thu::thu::thu:

The setup on my 51 was great too.

• Members

DSC04594.jpg

That is beautiful!~

• Members

I'd rather have this:

rsobl-max.jpg

RangerStdGold.jpg

Of course, but those are at least 2x the cost. That said, I've exchanged email with Robin and they'll pop a trem on there without a problem. I've lusted after the Robin Ranger since Guitar Player reviewed back in 1986 or so, I still have the issue. Back then they were MIJ too, by Tokai.

Archived