Can you guys point me in the right direction in buying a LP?

RoboCop00

• Members

Since I started playing (10 years ago or so), I told myself I'd buy a Les Paul if/when I got through the first year of law school (always wanted to be a liar...*cough* lawyer). The time has come, the year was about as miserable as I could've imagined (did well, 3.7, yay...), and I want that damn Les Paul.

I've been out of the guitar-ogling loop for awhile now, and am not really familiar with the numerous LP models Gibson has out. Obviously, I'm going to play any guitar first before buying, but I am just trying to limit down my options. My price range is up to 2,400. I'm not interested in any of the P-90 models. I'd prefer binding and a thinner neck (I used to play a LP that belonged to a friend with a 50's neck and it was a bit too beefy). I'm looking for a tri-burst or iced tea finish, but that's not absolutely necessary. Should I be looking towards the Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro?

• Members

I just played through a bunch of Traditional Pro's. 90% of them were awesome. If you like the specs on that one, I'd say you've got a great chance of getting a good one.

There's just something special going on with that run that they're coming out really nice.

I really liked the 60's neck. I ended up with an SG limited run GC model. also 60's neck. Maybe there's a particular project manager or foreman on these GC exclusive guitars. I don't know - but they're really tone-ful and pretty consistent.

Can be had for $1800 ish out the door.

• Members

The Traditional Pro probably comes closest to what you want with the thinner neck, but the closest to the finish you want would be Vintage Burst. You should be able to pick up a new one for around $1650 or so with minimal haggling, so it is well within your price range.

The Standards are chambered and don't have the thinner neck profile. The Traditionals also have the 50s neck profile.

• Members

My friend, you NEED a Les Paul Traditional Pro!

I, too, got myself a Les Paul when I finished my first year of grad school. I got a Standard with the 50s neck, and this was a few years ago. If you're even slightly wary of a 50s neck, then DO NOT get one! I made the mistake of listening to people say "ah, whatever, you'll get used to it, it's the same as a 60s neck, blah blah." Sold that Standard.

Then last year, I got the Traditional Pro:

DSCF0317.jpg

I can't say enough good things about this instrument. I bonded instantly and used it on all my studio work. Such a wonderful tone, sleek neck shape, perfect heft, sustains FOREVER.

:thu:

• Members

Since I started playing (10 years ago or so), I told myself I'd buy a Les Paul if/when I got through the first year of law school (always wanted to be a liar...*cough* lawyer). The time has come, the year was about as miserable as I could've imagined (did well, 3.7, yay...), and I want that damn Les Paul.

I've been out of the guitar-ogling loop for awhile now, and am not really familiar with the numerous LP models Gibson has out. Obviously, I'm going to play any guitar first before buying, but I am just trying to limit down my options. My price range is up to 2,400. I'm not interested in any of the P-90 models. I'd prefer binding and a thinner neck (I used to play a LP that belonged to a friend with a 50's neck and it was a bit too beefy). I'm looking for a tri-burst or iced tea finish, but that's not absolutely necessary.

Should I be looking towards the Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro?

In a word

Yes

but don't discount some of the more recent offerings from Gibson this year

like the Sam Ash Exclusive

Gibson Les Paul Traditional for $1999

available in Ebony or Teaburst

but,

checking their website reveals more choices, like 'plus top'

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&pageSize=12&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&ipstate=&iptext=gibson+les+paul+traditional&ip_requestUri=TopCategoriesDisplay&ip_categoryId=&ip_mode=&wcsiptext=&iscached=&x=16&y=9

• Members

Don't get an Edwards or a Tokai or a *whatever else*...get one that you want and need.

I had the same budget that you have when I got my first one but I walked out of the store with a Studio instead...what can I say? It was an interesting shopping experience.

• Members

if he wants a thinner neck, an R7 or R8 is not the answer.

i'd say try to track down a standard from the mid to late 90s. they can be found for around 1500, give or take a bill or two, and totally have a slimmer neck and a good heft to the body.

• Members

Wow. If you're gonna treat yourself like that for getting through year one, what are you gonna do when you graduate?

I'd go with a Porsche 911 turbo myself...

I think people are bang on with the Traditional. I've played a few and the neck is very comfy. I love my LP Classic, but it is no longer made.

• Members

Thanks guys. I'm going to be checking out the LP Standard Traditional Pro. Heritage cherry or vintage sunburst sounds pretty tempting. Those also coil-tap, correct?

BTW, I'm treating myself because the first year of law school is considered the hardest and a rite of passage. General consensus is once you've finished 1L, you're good to go as long as you pass the bar exam.

...Plus, I've wanted a Gibson LP as long as I can remember.

• Members

I am biased but think the LP Trad Pro is a great guitar, and great choice. I love the combo of Classic 57 in the neck, and burstbucker in the bridge. I love mine. If you are one a tighter budget try a Hagstrom Swede, or Super Swede. If your budget is really limited look at Michael Kelly Patriot. GC can be your friend. Join their "Preferred Member" Club, and you can get 20% off the discounted price. I just brought in a Dano pedal, and I still got 20% off. Anyway, you can do a lot worse than a LP Trad Pro.

• Members

Here's my advice. Go to a good, locally owned store where they have at least several in stock. My experience with GC and other big box guitar stores is that it's really hard to find a good one in the bunch. Either Gibson sends them trash to begin with, or the good ones get picked over fast and all that's left on the walls are the dogs that have been brutalized by every snot-nosed kid in the area.

• Members

Congrats on getting through your 1L year..from what I have heard it is supposed to be miserable :)

If I was in your position, I would look for a used Historic. The Historics are among the best production guitars available and can be had used for less than a new standard. If you are patient, you may also get a deal. I got my R8, for instance, for $1900 and it is a fabulous guitar.

• Members

Don't get an Edwards or a Tokai or a *whatever else*...get one that you want and
need

I had the same budget that you have when I got my first one but I walked out of the store with a Studio instead...what can I say? It was an interesting shopping experience.

Wise words. I actually played a Tokai this week. Grandma's music in Albuquerque had a used one. It was nowhere close, in terms of feel, playability and especially tone, to a traditional much less a standard.

• Members

I've been out of the guitar-ogling loop for awhile now, and am not really familiar with the numerous LP models Gibson has out. Obviously, I'm going to play any guitar first before buying, but I am just trying to limit down my options. My price range is up to 2,400. I'm not interested in any of the P-90 models. I'd prefer binding and a thinner neck (I used to play a LP that belonged to a friend with a 50's neck and it was a bit too beefy). I'm looking for a tri-burst or iced tea finish, but that's not absolutely necessary. Should I be looking towards the Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro?

This is the best deal in Les Pauls right now. Sam Ash Traditional 1960. They're frequently on sale for $1577 or so. Sounds like everything you're looking for.

http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson_Les%20Paul%20Traditional%201960%20in%20Tea%20Burst_-49949374

glptdstsc_1_ip.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Thanks guys. I'm going to be checking out the LP Standard Traditional Pro. Heritage cherry or vintage sunburst sounds pretty tempting. Those also coil-tap, correct?

BTW, I'm treating myself because the first year of law school is considered the hardest and a rite of passage. General consensus is once you've finished 1L, you're good to go as long as you pass the bar exam.

...Plus, I've wanted a Gibson LP as long as I can remember.

Did you wind up getting the Trad Pro? I'm looking at one on my local craigslist and searched here, this was the first thread that I read. Also, where are you in law school? You should be done with your first year by now, congrats! I just graduated from Cumberland School of Law myself and I'm studying for the Bar now.

• Members

You should also look into some of the MIJ Les Pauls...Burny, Bacchus, Greco, Tokai, etc. I've added a 1980's Burny and a Bacchus over the past three weeks and they are absolutely the best LP's I've run into. Sub-$1000 on each, used.

• Members

Did you wind up getting the Trad Pro? I'm looking at one on my local craigslist and searched here, this was the first thread that I read. Also, where are you in law school? You should be done with your first year by now, congrats! I just graduated from Cumberland School of Law myself and I'm studying for the Bar now.

I've gotta make another plug for the Trad Pro. I swear, this is the best guitar I've owned. Everything from the tone to the feel is top notch!

Archived