Can you guys point me in the right direction in buying a LP?

RoboCop00

• Members

I tried all the models when I was shopping a while back, and I really preferred the asymmetric neck shape on the new standard, so I went with that model. I like the burstbucker pro pickups too. I've been playing mine stock since getting it, and it sounds/plays great.

• Members

I'd get as much as you can with the money you have to spend. So I'd suggest a Les Paul Standard with the Burstbucker Pros. The chambering makes them a bit more lively with more vibe and chime on the top end. The neck may be a bit thicker but I don't think you'll find that to be a problem.

A company like Sweetwater will easily give you a deal if you call them up. Also try Wildwood Guitars.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=les+paul+standard&sb=popular&params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiQnJhbmQiOiI0Mjk0OTY3MjMzIn19

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson/standard/

P.S. Congrats on getting through year one. My son just finished his 4th year of law with the LLM (tax). Maybe if he'd gotten a 3.7 in year one he could have skipped the 4th year. But it's a tough economy for law school grads, hopefully it will be better for you and my son in another couple years.

• Members
My friend, you NEED a Les Paul Traditional Pro!

I, too, got myself a Les Paul when I finished my first year of grad school. I got a Standard with the 50s neck, and this was a few years ago. If you're even slightly wary of a 50s neck, then DO NOT get one! I made the mistake of listening to people say "ah, whatever, you'll get used to it, it's the same as a 60s neck, blah blah." Sold that Standard.

Then last year, I got the Traditional Pro:

DSCF0317.jpg

I can't say enough good things about this instrument. I bonded instantly and used it on all my studio work. Such a wonderful tone, sleek neck shape, perfect heft, sustains FOREVER.

:thu:

TRUTH about the necks; I own both 50s & 60s neck lp's, & the 50s ones are way bigger...

• Members

I've gotta make another plug for the Trad Pro. I swear, this is the best guitar I've owned. Everything from the tone to the feel is top notch!

I left the guy a voicemail, hopefully he'll call back soon and I can get it from him in the next few days. Which color is yours? The one I'm after is in vintage sunburst.

• Members

I left the guy a voicemail, hopefully he'll call back soon and I can get it from him in the next few days. Which color is yours? The one I'm after is in vintage sunburst.

Yeah dude, mine is vintage sunburst. Look two posts above yours---GreaserMatt quoted my pic. Honestly, I view my Les Paul also as a work of art. Like, some people have fancy paintings or bags or whatever. But even if I'm not playing my LP, I leave the case on my bed or couch, so I can pop it open and look at it every now and again.

But it's just such a wonderful instrument. Thick, complex tone, feels great, stays in tune forever... even smells good!

• Members

Yeah dude, mine is vintage sunburst. Look two posts above yours---GreaserMatt quoted my pic. Honestly, I view my Les Paul also as a work of art. Like, some people have fancy paintings or bags or whatever. But even if I'm not playing my LP, I leave the case on my bed or couch, so I can pop it open and look at it every now and again.

But it's just such a wonderful instrument. Thick, complex tone, feels great, stays in tune forever... even smells good!

How does it sound with the coils split? I have a les paul custom that I'll be selling if I buy this one; I know what les pauls sound like, but the coil taps interest me. They sound good in the youtube video's I've watched.

Archived