Is it just me or does a Strat invite to play with more abandon?

grumphh

• Members

Story is is just got a Mexi strat a week ago after not having a real strat type guitar for many years.

(I do have some single coil guitars, but they are not really strats, i.e. one is a Steinberger with EMG's, a necktrough Kramer HSS and a sgv-300.)

Then i have three Gibsons that are obviously not remotely strat like at all...

My point being that i for some reason feel that i can get a lot more/different dynamics from the strat as opposed to the other guitars.

The way you get snarls from it if you hit the strings hard and such.

And also for some reason the strat just feels good to bang away on.

All of my other guitars do sound nice, but in a sort of polite way even if you hit the strings hard - and for some reason just do not invite me to hit them hard for effect (possibly with the exception of the Explorer).

Is that a strat thing?

Is it because it is after all just two pieces of wood bolted together, that makes it easier to "rough it up"?

Is it something different?

• Members

It's the scale length. More tension means you can bang on it more and you can get more dynamics out of it. Strats have always been my main guitar and I feel la little let down when I play anything with a shorter scale. They just don't respond the same.

• Members

It's the scale length. More tension means you can bang on it more and you can get more dynamics out of it. Strats have always been my main guitar and I feel la little let down when I play anything with a shorter scale. They just don't respond the same.

Nah, the Steiny, the Yamaha and the Kramer all have 25.5 scales afaik. Still not the same...

(And i string all my guitars except the yammie, which needs thicker strings, with 10's - so the tension is the same as on the new strat.)

• Members

its more of a percussive guitar then a HB.. you have to get mean with it... a les paul is like training wheels for guitar.. but with a strat.. you have to thump the strings and some times beat the hell out of it... a les paul just about playes it self... but a strat..

fights you... at least the good ones do... but for the trouble you get such a huge spectrum of tones... just about infinite.. mho..

but im a strat guy..

• Members

its more of a percussive guitar then a HB.. you have to get mean with it... a les paul is like training wheels for guitar.. but with a strat.. you have to thump the strings and some times beat the hell out of it... a les paul just about playes it self... but a strat..

fights you... at least the good ones do... but for the trouble you get such a huge spectrum of tones... just about infinite.. mho..

but im a strat guy..

I am not so sure about the LP "playing itself" thing - but hitting it hard just doesn't add that something that attacking the strat does.

Maybe because it has a "big" sound, already when you play it lightly? Where on the strat you can co from paper thin to fairly thick?

That said, My LP's are not going anywhere, but having this extra colour is nice.

What i wonder most about though is that it is not just in the single coils of the strat (because otherwise it wouldn't have that wow factor, since i already have nice sc guitars) but seems to be something in the construction of the whole thing?

...and of course, it could just be me, being excited about a new toy :D

• Members

IME Strat players are interested in music,

LP players are interested in resale value

Whoah, talk about a sweeping generalization :D

..and btw - the {censored}ty 70's strats fetch more money in the "vintage" market than the LP's (which are definitely better guitars) from the same period. Says something about strat players, right? :D

• Members

I've always thought Fender-style guitars responded better to bashing. It's as if they're made to respond to it - whether it's the scale length, bolt neck, or whatever. SRV is a great example - if he launched into Texas Flood on a Les Paul with the attack he used, it'd just go "splurf".

• Members

So do I ... and it's uniquely flexible because of the trem.

For something to POUND on, though ... nuthin' beats a Tele.

I love Strats...but this is right on the money.

Given a choice between the 3 classics (Les Paul, Strat, and Tele), and I own a few of each: I'll grab a Tele first almost every time.

• Members

So do I ... and it's uniquely flexible because of the trem.

For something to POUND on, though ... nuthin' beats a Tele.

I own a LOT of guitars of all different pedigree and value. My cheap Mexican Tele is one of my favorites.

• Members

Naw, I get what the OP is saying.

When I switched to guitar, I had a MIM Strat. Then that project ended and I joined my current band, where I needed more beef, so I got a Les Paul. While the LP can sound as nasty as I want, it is more fun to POUND on a Strat. Also, I find that any kind of rhythmic, lower on the fretboard, single note/string type riff is easier on a Strat. Something about it makes it feel better to just smack all the strings with a pick while muting the 5 I don't wanna hear with my left hand. Whereas, when I play my LP, I feel the need to fix my palm to the bridge and safely pluck each individual string.

Know what I mean, Verne?

• Members

I get the "play with abandon" on a Strat......my faded DC LP feels a lot more fragile but any Strat I've had in the past decade...no inhibitions, just flail away, or not, very respond-to-your-emotions type of axe. I went almost the entire 90's without one, and when I got one after the turn of the century....whoa. I'm definitely a Strat guy.

Archived