Why I Have 32 Guitars

• Members

I think it's even more amazing when I find out that some touring pro's get by with just one guitar and a backup.

Yup. I remember reading an article in a guitar mag years ago about some session guy (wish I could remember who) that had played on hundreds of sessions of all kinds for the better part of three decades...sessions all over the map geographically as well as musically...with nothing but a Tele and a 335 w/ Bigsby. He said very occasionally a producer or bandleader would ask him to use a studio instrument so a handful of times someone would put a Strat or Les Paul or something else in his lap, but otherwise, he only owned and played two guitars, and made quite a good living with them.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup. I remember reading an article in a guitar mag years ago about some session guy (wish I could remember who) that had played on hundreds of sessions of all kinds for the better part of three decades...sessions all over the map geographically as well as musically...with nothing but a Tele and a 335 w/ Bigsby. He said very occasionally a producer or bandleader would ask him to use a studio instrument so a handful of times someone would put a Strat or Les Paul or something else in his lap, but otherwise, he only owned and played two guitars, and made quite a good living with them.

FWIW, that is actually a counter-intuitive reason I've ended up with so many guitars: I obviously haven't found that one magic guitar that will make me a famous professional yet. But I can't get rid of any of the ones I like because it *might* possibly still be one of those and the magic hasn't kicked in yet.

Because having a pointy guitar *should* make you play with better/faster technique, just like having a Hamer Special or PRS *should* cause you to play with more taste.

Right?

• Members

FWIW, that is actually a counter-intuitive reason I've ended up with so many guitars: I obviously haven't found that one magic guitar that will make me a famous professional yet. But I can't get rid of any of the ones I like because it *might* possibly still be one of those and the magic hasn't kicked in yet.

YOU make the music--not your guitars. There IS no "magic guitar" that makes you "professional." Guitars aren't magic. They are hunks of wood with some metal hardware and some minimal wiring/electronic components.

Being a good player makes you professional. Being skilled and inventive, having a pro attitude, mixed with a lot of patience, perserverence, luck and good connections is what makes people famous or in-demand or well-known and successful.

Gear is about the least important thing there is to the equation.

• Members

I'm down to 6 electrics, 2 acoustics, a classical and bass. Of these there are 3 that I play regularly. My Ibanez gets the most attention, simply because I do not have any issues with it getting a couple extra bumps from staying out and about in the house. My favorite electric guitar to play live is the strat.

• Members

Ouch!!!!

but totally agree.. if you are not getting there on what you have.. its prob not the gear.

its like the painter blaming the brush.. or a writer blaming the pen..

dang... ouch...

• Members

YOU make the music--not your guitars. There IS no "magic guitar" that makes you "professional." Guitars aren't magic. They are hunks of wood with some metal hardware and some minimal wiring/electronic components.

Being a
good player
makes you professional. Being skilled and inventive, having a pro attitude, mixed with a lot of patience, perserverence, luck and good connections is what makes people famous or in-demand or well-known and successful.

Gear is about the
least
important thing there is to the equation.

I was hoping my words were chosen well enough to make it clear I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. Guess not.

• Members

I have 62....

I've sold over 80.

I still have that white electric 12-string you sold. Need to play it a LOT more.

I'm at two dozen electrics (guitars and basses), and an additional 3 acoustics, plus 3 non-guitar stringed instruments (mando, banjo, and ukelele). Pretty much out of space for any more, but medical bills make any further acquisitions a moot point for some time anyhow. What I got is way more than I "need," but "need" really isn't the point. They're fun!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I still have that white electric 12-string you sold. Need to play it a LOT more.

I'm at two dozen electrics (guitars and basses), and an additional 3 acoustics, plus 3 non-guitar stringed instruments (mando, banjo, and ukelele). Pretty much out of space for any more, but medical bills make any further acquisitions a moot point for some time anyhow. What I got is way more than I "need," but "need" really isn't the point. They're fun!

^ This! And they are educational!

• Members

Yup, they're too much fun (and I only have 6 if you count 2 "projects" that are in pieces), and mine are all lower end, 2 of my latest make an appearance here: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10795589 and here:

menbrownie.jpg

Always on the prowl, but I usually have to swap something or sell to acquire something new to me. Times are tough out there....

• Members

The topic comes up every now and then, but I wonder why guitarists (electric guitarists especially) have so many guitars. I have a modest collection compared to most here, and I often times think I have way more than I'll ever need.

I don't know bro, honestly , buying / trading guitars and such is as addictive as any other thing i've come across (Drugs, sex, gambling, etc). At least to me it's "productive" in that I'm buying something tangible that will keep the majority % of it's value assuming I take care of what I have. And really, it's not simply a matter of owning so many guitars as it is a problem of me liking nicer and nicer guitars. I went from Cort to Gibson within my first year and it's been expensive as hell ever since!! But so worth it, IMO...

My perfect balance seems to be : 3 electrics, 1 acoustic. No more, no less... amps though... need more amps!

edit: with my addiction to Gibson and Ibanez guitars though, my 3 electrics will probably go to 10 within the next year or two LOL

Bbreaker is the coolest dude ever.

• Members
Mrs. Bbreaker sees my music room every day.

If my music room looked like that...I think I'd have a new room...in a trailer DOWN BY THE RIVER :D

My wife HATE clutter so having more than a handful is never going to happen. I'm probably going to have to sell my 2nd amp too as it is "getting in the way". I'm perfectly happy with what I have however. I play most of my guitars every day (the 12 string is the only one that get's the most neglect) and any more would just mean more neglect. I have all the bases covered that I want to and the last few times I've been in a guitar store I didn't even have a single thought about getting another. Guitars are beautiful and I love looking at everyone's collection. But like pretty woman on the street...look but don't touch, I'm happiest with what I got (in both guitars and ladies :wave:)

the obligatory music room shot (a TA-15 and a cab sits were the V18 is and the V18 is in the other corner of the room).

GuitarWall1.jpg

Hey Krashpad hope you are doing well and those medical bills will cease so you can get back to rocking and buying new axes for those of us who live vicariously through others

• Members

Well, guys, it could be worse. I have a friend who I sold a car to whom plays a Collings and he's one HELLUVA guitarist. We got to talking about playing guitar today and he told me about a buddy of his who owns like 6 mandolins -- all hand-made -- most of which range from 10k to 15k:eek:

So I don't feel bad about splurging a couple grand on a nice guitar:wave:

Archived