Why I Have 32 Guitars

• Members

That's a fine 3 my friend! That Hamer is freaking sweet.

Thanks! It's a 2001 Artist in Jazzburst. I just bought it a couple of months ago and it was literally in new condition. I think someone bought it to collect. Bet it even had the original strings on it. First time I played it I put fine fingernail scratches on it.

The G&L gets most of my attention now, but if I feel like something a change I just rotate to the next one. Guess that makes me a serial monogamist!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because I think my wife would object at this time to me having 33.

How many would you like to have?

I reached around 20 and kinda maxed out. Not that I won't buy more, but I will likely sell/buy about the same number.

I just like to play all I have REGULARLY and also hate {censored}ty old strings/changing strings.

• Members

You guys are assholes.

Why? I don't know.. but if you give me enough time I'm sure I could think of something.

Ahh yes, you guys are assholes because you neglect most of your guitars. I am from the Guitar Equal Rights Foundation and we have had some complaints of neglect and abuse (caging) of some of the members of your family. If you don't heed our warnings, we will have to confiscate the neglected parties and give them to homes where they will be loved and get the attention they deserve.

Equal rights for all guitars! Gimmie 'em.

edit - The GERF also has the support of your wives!

• Members
You guys are assholes.

Why? I don't know.. but if you give me enough time I'm sure I could think of something.

Ahh yes, you guys are assholes because you neglect most of your guitars. I am from the Guitar Equal Rights Foundation and we have had some complaints of neglect and abuse (caging) of some of the members of your family. If you don't heed our warnings, we will have to confiscate the neglected parties and give them to homes where they will be loved and get the attention they deserve.

Equal rights for all guitars! Gimmie 'em.

edit - The GERF also has the support of your wives!

:lol:

• Members

Thats a lot. I had 15, and thought I needed some down sizing.. 5 is good for me..

I could go 4.... Classical, eletric, acoustic and bass.

I am working on going to 4 as well... 3 electrics + 1 acoustic = should be enough????

• Members

solid body bolt on neck

Soild body set neck

Semi hollow

3 is a good number.

But what about a bass?

And a classical nylon?

Oh, and a 12 string...

And an acoustic bass....

Oh double bass...

And...

one with single coils, one les paul style, but then you need a Gibson, and need need a weird body style like a jag, and you need a pointy guitar, and then one with active electronics, and then one with jangly gretsch pickups, and....

This was my logic before I sold off 4 guitars and found the incredible world of PEDALS.

• Members

This was my logic before I sold off 4 guitars and found the incredible world of PEDALS.

Interestingly, I have zero gas for amps or pedals.

I do have a multi-fx pedal so I can do some wah. But other than that, I guess I've looked for and found the guitars that fit with the amps I have (a Roland Microcube and a Crate 2x12).

I have a few sub-par guitars...interestingly, all 3 of my Vantage AV-325s are decent but don't inspire me. If I had purchased one of those first, I might not have become a Vantage freak. But the X-77 kicks serious butt, as does the FV-575, so I almost feel like I need to keep the 3 AV-325s for those to actually be a Vantage collection. Interestingly, all my vantages are in 9.8/10 condition...I guess they were built like tanks. So that just increases my desire to hold on to the 3 AV-325s: they don't suck, but they are in such great shape I feel like they could be amazingly/impressively rare in another 3 more decades of case/closet storage.

• Members

Don't have a Gibson but do have some LP and an Explorer copies and don't mind not having one but would like one.

BUT - I'm really searching for the right sounding AMP and Cabinet.

it's making me crazy. I also need the right multi-effects (I have had a lot of these and still have not decided which one really hits the homer)

• Members

Don't have a Gibson but do have some LP and an Explorer copies and don't mind not having one but would like one.

BUT - I'm really searching for the right sounding AMP and Cabinet.

it's making me crazy. I also need the right multi-effects (I have had a lot of these and still have not decided which one really hits the homer)

I have a strat, tele, Agile LP, and a Takamine Acoustic.

Right not I'm running a Mesa/Boogie F-50 that is freaking incredible. Does a fantastic Fender clean tone, and killer Marshall tones. Think Line 6 modeling with tubes. :D

Obviously no amp will be able to be spot on to the sound of every amp, but this is the closest I've come. And a full 5-star rating from guitarist magazine doesn't hurt...

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/guitarist-F-50/Guitarist_f-50.htm

as for multi-effects, I just stick with single pedals. One day I'll make the switch cause sounds are getting much closer these days, but I'm a tone nut and I wanna be able to change something on the fly if i have to without going through 18 different menus on a tiny screen. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned...

• Members

How many would you like to have?

Not sure. I could easily get up to 50 just by grabbing different cheap examples of Vantages and Westones as they appear on my radar. There are another 3 Westones I'd like to get, could probably get 'em all for just $500, shipped, total.

But to be honest, I think 32-ish is my limit. There were a few other guitars that I was really into until I got my last few Westones, now I don't really care about them anymore (a quilt-top Ibanez AX220, a quilt-top Yamaha PAC402S, a Cort KX-5, an Epi Pro-2), and one Parker Nitefly is going to get sold soon.

30-ish guitars seems to be enough that there is always a guitar that seems new to me, but is few enough I can get through all of them every month (I sometimes will play 2 or even 3 guitars in one practice session, depending).

• Members

Well Bbreaker has been into guitars since the 60s, is a player and the most amazing fact of all is he has stated to have never spent over $2,800 for any guitar. If I could own 110 guitars I would, and its like the saying on counting other peoples money-What {censored}ing business is it of yours!

• Members

I love seeing people's huge guitar collections. face it, we love guitars and guitars are cool!

I used to have a pretty big stable of guitars and basses (and amps and pedals, etc.) but I much prefer keeping it minimal these days. I vicariously enjoy the large stables of others and am content to let other people wrangle dozens of instruments.

When I had many multiple guitars and basses, it got to seem like more of a chore than a pleasure keeping them all played in rotation, stored safely and just generally maintained. Ugh. No thanks.

• Members

The topic comes up every now and then, but I wonder why guitarists (electric guitarists especially) have so many guitars. I have a modest collection compared to most here, and I often times think I have way more than I'll ever need.

I think a lot of it is down to The Internet. I started playing in the late 70s and barely knew anyone with more than a couple of guitars. Hell, in the 80s and early 90s I worked in radio and booked shows at some venues in the Midwest so I got to talk gear with people in some pretty big bands and rarely ran into anyone with more than 5 or 6 aside from a couple of collectors who stll only took 3 or 4 guitars on the road with them for long tours.

I completely endorse people buying and owning whatever they want. Good for them! No jealousy and no judgement calls. I just don't like to own a lot of anything. The only stuff I relly collect is books, movies and music, and even there I try hard to keep a lid on it and get rid of as much as possible whenever possible.

• Members

I think a lot of it is down to The Internet.

That's true for me.

I got a bunch of my guitars because I did searches on eBay and bid on guitars I thought were cheap.

I got a bunch of my Hamers because I was able to research them online, and then got involved in the Hamer Fan Club forum, which exposed me to many models (stimulating lots and lots and lots of gas) and also gave me access to forum sales announcements.

Just about the same thing happened with Westone...I know to search for some models because of their catalogs, descriptions, and pictures being online.

I got a bunch more guitars due to internet searches on Craigslist, Guitar Center, and Music Go Round when I was bored.

The Vantage collection, interestingly, got started only because I was thumbing through a bunch of old Guitar Player magazines from the early 80s. Then again, the only reason I had all those old magazines is I found and bought 'em through eBay.

If it weren't for the internet, I'd be stuck with only Pawn Shop guitars, because new guitars from stores are too expensive to discover you haven't bonded with them.

One other thing that drives me to expand my collection, however, is backup guitars: if I love my Jon Kammerer solid body, and I see another one on Craigslist for cheap, why not grab it as a backup? Same thing for my Hamer USA Centaura, or my Westone Genesis I or Corsair. If I like one example, I'm probably going to like a 2nd example of the same model. If the next one is cheap enough (for some guitars, sometimes found for half the going rate or less if you get lucky at the right place, right time), why not?

That's probably the only way I get above 35 guitars: if I find backup copies cheap enough.

• Members

Well Bbreaker has been into guitars since the 60s, is a player and the most amazing fact of all is he has stated to have never spent over $2,800 for any guitar. If I could own 110 guitars I would, and its like the saying on counting other peoples money-What {censored}ing business is it of yours!

Actually, I never spent more than $2265.00.

It went for a Gibson Historic 1957 Faded Cherry LP Custom.............

gibson57lpcustom1.jpg

These Trussarts were used.

The Steel DeVille was close to $3k...... but I traded 2 guitars for it.

The Steelphonic started around $4K but I waited it out........got it for around $2200.00.

trussarts.jpg

Around 2002, I got into Rickenbackers. I'm still hooked.

rick660s.jpg

• Members

These days, the only way I can acquire a big ticket item, is to sell/trade what I already have or buy with a 12/18 finance deal.
My business is pretty much down like the economy.
2 years ago, I lost a $40k a year customer. He's done.
I'm about $80k short of business potential each year since 2008.

Getting by with good looks.:rolleyes:

Archived