My small guitar collection

_pete_

• Members

Well, not small guitars, just a small collection.

I used to have as many as 12 at once but whittled it down a while ago. What I have now is just perfect for me.

I can't really call any of them my #1 because they are all very, very good and each have their own strengths.

In no particular order then, I'll start with the Orville Les Paul Custom.

It's a 1995 made at Fujigen so it has a long tenon and all that. It's not light (around 10 lbs) but it sounds awesome. I added the Gibson LPC truss cover, gold reflector cap knobs & pointers, Tusq nut, and a set of 490/498's pulled from a Gibby LPC complete with pots and caps. I did swap out the caps for Orange Drops.

001-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

004-3.jpg

• Members

This one is a killer. It's probably the best playing and sounding Strat I've ever owned and I've had a bunch.

It has a Warmoth neck, an Agile (!) body (amazingly resonant and flawless in quality), Planet Waves tuners, Lawrence L280 single coils, Lawrence L500 humbucker, and an old Floyd (recessed, floating, and with a push in arm scavenged from a Wilkinson VS100). No locking nut, it has a Graph Tech Trem Nut and it stays perfectly in tune no matter what I do to it. Yes, the output jack is upside down. I learned that from Alex Lifeson. It makes it easier to use a 90 degree plug. One thing that I found with this one is that since the L280 pups have rounded edges, the neck pup makes a perfect 24th fret. If I 'fret' it between the neck and the neck pup, it's a perfect E note. I can even bend and vibrato it.

012-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

• Members

Last is another parts Strat. I recently replaced the body and neck on this one. It had a Squier neck and an unknown plywood body but it sounded pretty good. Now it has a Mighty Mite compound radius neck and a Mighty Mite vintage white body. It sounds much better now. Pickups are Lawrence L200's, tuners are Planet Waves, and it has a GFS Neovin preamp in it also. The other cool feature is that it has a PRS trem. Like the other Strat and the CE24 it holds tune like a pitbull on a mailman.

017-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

Oh yeah, the decals. I know they aren't Fenders but I don't care. They're mine.

I like that the white one has a pre CBS headstock and a CBS decal.

Here's updated pic of my rig also. Totally tube-less and I love it.

It uses 2 GSP1101's. One for electric and one for the piezo in the PRS. The top GSP goes to the Art SLA1 power amp and out to 2 SA cabinets with a 12

• Members

Awesome pair!

Are you down to two guitars? Frankly, I can se how two guitars can do the job quite adequatly. I used to play two acoustics exclusively (not even owning electrics) and I mean that over twenty years. I remember feeling "closer" to those guitars than I do today switching between a dozen.

EDIT: by the time I wrote this and posted, you added a couple more! :)

• Members

Awesome pair!

EDIT: by the time I wrote this and posted, you added a couple more!
:)

Ah, that's it. I couldn't cram all the pics in one post so I separated them.

I could get by with 2 but 4 is twice as good.

Thanks for the compliment!

• Members

Awesome, Pete! I love how your collection is so focused toward the purpose of versatility. Too often I think many of us (me included) fall into the trap of feeling the need to own many single purpose guitars sacrificing some quality along the way sometimes. Yours can do most anything you want.

Happy 4th! :wave:

• Members

Awesome, Pete! I love how your collection is so focused toward the purpose of versatility. Too often I think many of us (me included) fall into the trap of feeling the need to own many single purpose guitars sacrificing some quality along the way sometimes. Yours can do most anything you want.

Happy 4th!
:wave:

Happy 4th to you and yours also! (and everyone else here)

If I was honest with myself, the PRS can really do all that the rest can plus some. I could get by with that one alone. I just don't want to.

• Members

Nice stuff there Pete :thu:

I take it you like Bill's pickups. ;) I remember you asking around about them a while back. Didn't realize you had an L500, I've got one in my N4 and love the shit out of it. I've got the 280's in my strat and love them as well. Easily the best noiseless pickups out there IMHO.

That red strat is ridiculous.

• Members

Nice stuff there Pete
:thu:

I take it you like Bill's pickups.
;)
I remember you asking around about them a while back. Didn't realize you had an L500, I've got one in my N4 and love the shit out of it. I've got the 280's in my strat and love them as well. Easily the best noiseless pickups out there IMHO.

That red strat is ridiculous.

Oh yeah I'm a big fan of the Lawrence pups. I've tried all the noiseless (except Kinman) and found them all lacking. The L200's and L280's still sound like Strat pups and have "depth" to them.

I've always had something with an L500 in it. I love those pups. They do way more than Pantera stuff. They're incredibly versatile.

You should play that red Strat. It's scary good.

Thanks for all the comments folks. I'll keep in mind all the ones who like that Orville. I'm considering selling it in about 6 months or so when I have enough cash socked away to get another Les Paul Axcess. It's not that I don't love that Orville, it's just that the Axcess is my perfect guitar.

• Members

Nice stuff there.

In recent months I've taken to playing Tech 21 Sans Amp Character pedals into a Holy Grail and then into a Kustom 15 powered PA. It's really surprising to me how much I'm liking the tone of doing that. I only paid $130 for the Kustom on an MF sale, but if I didn't know how inexpensive it was, I would think I was playing through a much more expensive rig. I'm starting to become a homeboy for the preamp + PA mode of making tones.

Here's my small guitar collection

FenderSP001.jpg

FenderSP002.jpg

modified for salt AND pepper.

Archived