Ibanez guitars: Can we blast them for a while?

New Trail

• Members

I sold my only Ibanez (Prestige RG) but only because I really didn't need the floating bridge/trem and was looking for a more classic LPish type of guitar. Really nice quality instrument, flawlessly made. I'd definitely consider another Ibby.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

never bought an Ibby..to me they seem like more lead guitarists guitars...even though i do play some lead i just dont think the shredders fit me..plus i dont play trems...but there are some nice Ibby hardtails,they aren't all shredders...and i did almost buy an Artcore....the wizard necks are too thin for me...i like a baseball bat or at least a nice round strat neck...my Warrior is right down the middle not too fat not too thin...just right...but Ibbys are great...they have so many models and large price range....if your a lead player and you go for their top of the line stuff..hard to beat man

• Members

The only fault I can find with Ibanez is that all their superstrats seem to come with pencil necks -

I though the same thing, until I found this one in a local pawn. Very nice (set) neck. Very nice guitar, actually, except, as noted elswhere, for the pickups. I picked this up to house a set of Duncan P-Rails, which will be added at a later date.

• Members

I have 2 Artcores that I love.

DSCF0495.jpgDSCF0420.jpg

Biggest annoyance for me with Ibanez is the stock pickups, otherwise I like them alot, hence the name.

edit - I wish I could be more creative in deciding names when I sign up to online shit.
:facepalm:

I agree. In the blue Artcore I have a set of GFS Surf 90's. The black Artcore now has a set of SD P-Rails in it.

• Members

my first guitar was a bc rich rave (bottom of barrel) then a LP standard (sold it for a POS car), then i bought an ibanez radius and havent been back to any other brand.... now own a 540R, 550 RG custom, 442 Radius, and SZ320 in white, why over pay for a guitar if you dont have too.....

Not that i havent played another guitar that spoke to me.... i ran across a fender strat (not a typical run of the mill strat) that played like a dream, and i also loved a yamaha SBG series. just happen to only own ibanez right now....

• Members

Gibson and Ibanez are by far my two favorite guitar makers! I don't see how you could bash either, honestly... except for maybe some of the price points on the higher end Gibson stuff.

I will say though that after I get my ESP m2 Maple today, it may replace my prestige (FOR-EVER).

• Members

My old Jem7RB is one of my favorite guitars. I've had it since '88. Really a fantastic guitar in every way. The PAF pro pickups are really sweet, and give it a very non-shreddy tone that can do a lot of things. I also have an old roadster II and an RG7420.

DSC02889.jpg

• Members

I'm a big fan of Ibanez guitars; but I will bash them when appropriate. For example, a few years ago, you could get an RG2570 for $850 (I actually had one ordered) and now you can't even get an RG1570 for that. We're talking a significant price hike over just a few years. That said, I can't say that the guitars aren't worth the money. I love how forward thinking Ibanez is (especially relative to the other big manufacturers). I do agree with the OP, I would like to see more offerings for a hard tail RG, but to be completely honest, it's just a matter of blocking the trem so it's not a really big deal to me.

• Members

I can honestly say that of all the brands that I've owed 10+ guitars from, Ibanez is probably the brand that I've been consistently the most happy with. I've had Fender duds and Gibson duds but I don't think I've ever had a truly bad Ibanez.

I certainly like the 70s through about 1985 more than their current offerings, but my #1 HB guitar for the last few years has been a Korean AX125. Slipped in a pair of Gibson 57 Classics and new saddles and a few other minor tweaks and this guitar never fails to inspire me.

DSC_4935a1.jpg

Liked it so much I bought a similar Korean AX120 from a buddy/forum member and slipped in a 36th Anniversary and an Air Norton in it. Great guitar for stupid cheap!

DSC_7320a1.jpg

And for REALLY stupid cheap, an older GAX70. $50 and it came with Dimarzio Blues Buckers which I eventually replaced with a Dream 180/90 set that a forum member gave me for free.

DSC_7785a1.jpg

• Members

So far, no "blasting" of Ibanez in this thread it seems!

I don't think they deserve it. Excellent quality, wide selection, established heritage, reasonably priced.

I have 2 Artcores that I love.

DSCF0495.jpg

I agree. In the blue Artcore I have a set of GFS Surf 90's. The black Artcore now has a set of SD P-Rails in it.

Kitty, I have the same Artcore. The stock ACH pickups are fine but nothing spectacular. How do you feel about the Surf 90's?

Archived