Ibanez guitars: Can we blast them for a while?

New Trail

• Members

There are a lot of 'hate' posts on forums for Gibson (especially) and Fender but hardly ever Ibanez. Maybe it's because of the seemingly limited focus that Ibanez has on the type of clientele that they want. Anyway, I would like to buy an Ibanez, either a Prestige RG or the double cutaway, but they're never available except with a tremolo or with crappy colors. How about a nice beautiful Prestige RG with a natural or sunburst finish, two humbuckers, and neck binding, and NOT a budget model? And not a 7 string but with a fixed bridge instead of a tremolo? Is that too much to ask?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a nice cinnamon top RG420. I know it's not considered high end, but it's a damn fine guitar. I also have an S series which plays very well. I do wish they would offer more traditional color options, though, as snot green and puke pink just don't do it for me.

• Members

I honestly doubt that would sell well, Ibanez have a pretty good feel for their market and stick to it, plus I like the flexibillity of having a single, you do have the option of getting a H-H model if it has a top route just change the guard like you would a strat...

Infact they did make a really nice dessert burst RG 3120T a few years back H-H but had an Edge Pro, easy enough to block, and lock down....has everything else you wnated neck binding sunburst finish...

They do have some H-H fixed bridge models in the lower range if they sell well enough perhaps a prestige version would come about, wouldnt the RGA's have anything similar to what your after?

And minus the painted F holes/no binding, the latest PGM model has all the features your after more or less..

Sounds like you want a les paul and not an RG or sabre...

• Members

I have this SZ320 you can get them with quilt tops and such.

This plays great, lowest action of any of my guitars. Neck is about the same profile as my MIA strat.Cream binding on the neck and headstock.

SZ320MHa.jpg

SZ320MHd.jpg

• Members

I love my Ibanez Jem 20Th Anniversary, one of the nicest guitars I own and definitely one of the coolest... I also played a cheaper Ibanez Blue Burst at my local store last year (forget the model number), and that thing was sweet. It was only 500 bucks, had 24 frets, 2 humbuckers and 1 single coil and a whammy.. But that was one of the nicest necks I had ever felt.. I really wanted to get it but if I did I think my fiance would of beat me with it... :)

• Members

The only fault I can find with Ibanez is that all their superstrats seem to come with pencil necks - I could own a Jem if the neck was more substancial. But then, that's preference and not a matter of quality.

I love their semi and hollowbody lines, and i've owned semis both new and old: outstanding. Ibanez make fine, consistent instruments for all groups on the market. That have given them a load of respect and it's probably why you don't see anyone blast them. otoh it's probably also one of the reasons the company doesn't have as high or well developed profile.

• Members

I own three Ibanez guitars, and I've never played anything of theirs which was badly-made. Their QC and consistency are praiseworthy and enviable.

Their design philosophy is another matter -- but they also make a lotta stuff which ISN'T skinny-necked, pointy and RAWK-oriented.

Archived