If U were going 2 thin out your guitars based on performance on one amp-which amp w/b

GAS Man

• Members

So without the title abbreviations:

If you wanted to thin out you guitar herd (stable) based upon their performance run through just one amp, what amp would you choose for your performance test.

;)

?

We're talking Fenders, Gibsons, Rickenbackers, Gretsch, Jacksons, Ibanez, PRS, etc. all through one amp -

What would be your choice amp for the drill?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well.... I pretty much only use Vox (though I'm considering buying an Orange Tiny Terror sometime in the future), so I guess an AC30. If a guitar doesn't sound good through the AC30 and AC15 at the store (the two amps I gig with), then I'm not interested.

• Members

I'm really curious what other think about this, because I may some day start doing this.

I can see the Vox AC30

And I love the tone of Twins and the DRRI, but with Fender amps, I'm afraid all my Fender and other single coils guitars would be sticking around and most of my Gibsons and other HB guitars would end up on the chopping block.

Keep 'em coming.

Just nobody say "Dumble" :lol:

• Members

Well I use two NMV 6v6 amps: Dr Z Z-28 and Fuchs Black Jack 21..... so I would run them through either one, since thats the sound I am looking for. The guitar should sound right for the music you like to play, and the biggest part of that is the amp you use, so whatever amp suits you best, your guitars should play nice with it.

• Members

^^ That's logical, but I've been pursuing more of a plethora of tones. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm a home hobbyist musician rather than a gigging musician.

But part of the thought process for me in this thread is

If you go with the stereotypical assumptions of:

Les Pauls with Marshalls,

Fenders with Fenders &

Gretsch with Vox

Then what amp gives all the basic food groups their best run for the money?

I don't have one, but I might be thinking of something along the lines of a Marshall Plexi. :idk:

• Members

Are you talking about just going straight in to the amp, no pedals involved? Well then... I'd probably still use an AC30, because that'll still do everything besides metal on its own. With humbuckers and the gain cranked, it's got great overdrive and sustain. It'll amplify Strat-quacks just as good as (and to me, better than) any Fender amp. And of course, it'll chime and jangle like the early 60s.

That said, I've never really thought of guitar/amp combos that way. For me, I pick an amp that I like, and by switching guitars, I get variations on that sound that I like.

• Members

Are you talking about just going straight in to the amp, no pedals involved? Well then... I'd probably still use an AC30, because that'll still do everything besides metal on its own. With humbuckers and the gain cranked, it's got great overdrive and sustain. It'll amplify Strat-quacks just as good as (and to me, better than) any Fender amp. And of course, it'll chime and jangle like the early 60s.

That said, I've never really thought of guitar/amp combos that way. For me, I pick an amp that I like, and by switching guitars, I get variations on that sound that I like.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking about.

I'm still thinking you might be onto something there.

I don't have an AC30, but I do have a Vox AD60VTX which of course emulates the AC15 through AC30TB, so I've got a good idea of that tone. I've played some RI AC30s and yes, I do find them to be tempting.

• Members

Ahhh I see what youre getting at...

My rig approach is a little different. I selected my amps as the base for my tone. I particularly like them because they have a rich clean tone that hints at breakup as you start hitting higher volumes, and then an amazing crunch when youre really cooking (but thats beyond loud for practical use). They are also very touch sensitive so they let all the nuances of my playing come through (whether good or bad). On top of that, they are extremely pedal friendly. Which leads into the second part of my rig, elaborate pedalboards (building my second one now). Quality amps with quality effects opens up so many tonal possibilities.

I found my amps in particular to sound great with both my single coil and humbucker guitars, so the classic pairings even though they sound good shouldnt necessarily be limiting.

^^ That's logical, but I've been pursuing more of a plethora of tones. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm a home hobbyist musician rather than a gigging musician.

But part of the thought process for me in this thread is

If you go with the stereotypical assumptions of:

Les Pauls with Marshalls,

Fenders with Fenders &

Gretsch with Vox

Then what amp gives all the basic food groups their best run for the money?

I don't have one, but I might be thinking of something along the lines of a Marshall Plexi.
:idk:

• Members

Apart from in the studio, I'm pretty much down to using JTM 45 reissues all the time.

Relatively cheap used, indestructable and the perfect volume for me with a drummer. They have enough headroom that I can run any pedals in front of them (even reverb), but not so much that the clean tone is lifeless.

I use HBs, Tele single coils and P90s live, and just have to change the balance of the linked inputs slightly to compensate for guitar changes.

Some people don't like the way the GZ34 rectifier sags for high gain stuff, but it only gets mushy when the volumes are maxed out.

The great thing about non-MV amps is that if you have a few different OD, distortion or fuzz pedals lying around you can build pretty much any kind of core sound, with any kind of guitar.

To me, having master volume is like only owning one overdrive pedal. The amp starts to tell YOU what guitar to play and how you should sound, instead of the other way around.

• Members

My main amp is a 1969 Super Reverb (though I also have a Vox Valvetronix AD120VT which I sometimes use when it's more convenient, or when I need to work at lower volumes than the -- non-master -- Super Reverb will permit) ... and I'll never buy or use any guitar which doesn't sound good through that amp.

• Members

A BF/SF Fender. Relatively transparent. If a guitar sounds great through a BF/SF Fender, it'll hold up to anything. No so with Marshalls and Vox's and anything with gain, they mask and filter a lot of the sound.

My modded Allen Accomplice is the closest thing I have right now.

Archived