Best Boutique Humbucker Pickups

burton4snow

• Members

I really like Voodoo pickups by Peter Florence. They ('59s in particular) have transformed the two guitars I've put them in. WCR is probably my 2nd favorite. Wolfetone is great too. Bryan at BG is also right there with the big boys. Manlius makes very nice stuff too.

• Members

Best is very subjective as what good tone is varies from player to player.

My pickups are made by hand with extremely high quality parts I usually have something for everyone. If you don't see what you'd like there's a great chance I can make it for you.

You can get more info on my pickups at www.bg-pups.com

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

I may not be the most expensive but my pickups are as good as anything out there.

• Members

Best is very subjective as what good tone is varies from player to player.

My pickups are made by hand with extremely high quality parts I usually have something for everyone. If you don't see what you'd like there's a great chance I can make it for you.

You can get more info on my pickups at

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

I may not be the most expensive but my pickups are as good as anything out there.

I've really been thinking about ordering some humbuckers from you.

What I want is that killer PAF sound. With nice lows, big mids, and LOTS of crystal clear, airy non harsh highs.

I like Gibson Burstbucker PROs for their clarity and brightness... but I think they sound a little harsh. Like their high end frequency centers around 3K which is kind of piercing.

Do think a set of your regular BG Buckers would do it for me?

• Members

I've really been thinking about ordering some humbuckers from you.

What I want is that killer PAF sound. With nice lows, big mids, and LOTS of crystal clear, airy non harsh highs.

I like Gibson Burstbucker PROs for their clarity and brightness... but I think they sound a little harsh. Like their high end frequency centers around 3K which is kind of piercing.

Do think a set of your regular BG Buckers would do it for me?

Either the BGBs or actually the Lizards would be a great choice. The BGBs have more highs than the Lizards. I find the Lizards to be a great sounding PAF type of pickup and BGBs to be a bit like a T Top.

I'd love to make you a set..If you're interested just PM me for HC pricing.

Thanks,

Bryan

• Members

Either the BGBs or actually the Lizards would be a great choice. The BGBs have more highs than the Lizards. I find the Lizards to be a great sounding PAF type of pickup and BGBs to be a bit like a T Top.

I'd love to make you a set..If you're interested just PM me for HC pricing.

Thanks,

Bryan

The Lizards are about as close as you will find to a true PAF sound IMHO...:thu:

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Birch_(luthier) John Birch's guitar pickups had a unique construction compared to other pickups of the time. Normally, pickups use Alnico or Ceramic magnets, occasionally Samarium-Cobalt, as in Bill Lawrence's Fender SCN pickups, or even Neodymium, as in Q-Tuner's bass pickups. Birch used Cobalt Steel magnets, oversized to make up for their relative weakness as compared to Alnico. However there are Magnum, Hyperflux, multiflux and Biflux pickups with smaller Alnico magnets. (J1 Hyperflux/biflux, J1 Magnum/ biflux and J2 Multiflux build 1977 these guitars where all build short after John Diggins left JBG in 1977.) He also used much finer copper wire than most other pickups because finer wire allows more wire to be wound on the bobbins, which results in a more powerful sound. Finer than normal wire also accentuates high frequencies, though fine wire can have a "thin" sound if not compensated for in other ways, such as higher resistance, shorter coils, or more metal in the magnetic field to raise inductance. Also, he potted the pickups in black epoxy. (the 1977 pickups with the alnico magnets where all potted with a cream coloured epoxy.) to fight microphonic feedback caused by unwanted vibrations of the copper wire. The epoxy keeps the wire from moving. The covers to the pickups were stainless steel, which is non-magnetic and therefore won't cause eddy currents, which oppose the magnetic field of a pickup, causing it to sound weaker. Finally, Birch used a row of 9 instead of 6 balance screws as polepieces to create a broader area for the pickup to sense the vibrating string. With Fender single coils or Gibson humbuckers, the strings each have an individual pole piece. However, if the player bends a string, that string can move over an area where there is no pole, and the sound will get weaker.

On request, John Birch would make combination Multiflux pickups, like a Hyperflux with a Biflux, (serial plus a parallel humbucker pickup) in the same housing, or a Magnum with a Hyperflux in the same housing.

Apart from the pickups, John Birch applied a single knob bass-cut/treble-cut tone control at all his instruments, equivalent to the controls at 1940/50 Epiphone Electar guitars and early 1950 Gretsch guitars with DeArmond Dynasonic pickups. This JB-tone control however did not effect the frequency response when set to neutral, unlike the Gretsch and the Epiphone dual tone-controls.

All standard guitars like he J1, J2 and SG models are switchable for mono, stereo and anti-phase-mono operation, wired to a stereo phono output connector. The guitars where standard supplied with a 25 ft. stereo split cable(1977).

Here is a list of the pickups from the John Birch catalog in the late 1970s:

SIMPLUX-Single coil intended to replace the old black covered Gibson P90 type fitted to Juniors and some SG

• Members

dont have alot of booteek HB experience, but some of the best PAF style pickups I have heard (and hear on a regular basis) are Tim White "Timbuckers". Tim had a 2 year waiting list at one point. He no longer winds pickups so you would have to find them on ebay or TGP.

I had john williams wind my last two "attackbuckers". Those are very good low output PAF style humbuckers IMHO. But they are kinda geared towards a specific sound.

• Members

If the only pickup I have used is a Classic 57, it will sound the best to me. That's why I like to see what ELSE you've used for comparison. Me? (These aren't all boutique, but there are some in there)

1. Seth Lover

2. Open - The SLs are too much better than the others.

3. Antiquities and Wolfetone Legends tied

4 Open - The Antiquities and Legends are too much better than those following

5. Harmonic Design and Alnico II Pros tied

6. Classic 57

7. Pearly Gates

8. Schaller

9, 10, 11, 12. Open - The Jazz and Custom are that terrible.

13. Duncan Jazz neck pickup tied with the Custom/ Custom-Customs

14. Tim Shaw "PAF Reissue" - stock in my '83 ES335 and the worst pickup I have ever used.

YMMV

• Members

I'm a big fan of seth lovers, even though they arent really "boutique", just kind of pricey. For heavier stuff I also like the bareknuckle pickups, unfortunately I dont play any heavy music right now so I have no need for them.

• Members

I heard demos of WCR back around 2004 or 2005 and based on what I heard, I bought a pair of Fillmore for my Sheraton. The pickups were better than I imagined and they give a run for their money to the 57s installed in my Les Paul.

• Members

I can't compare so to determine what's "best" isn't something I can claim to be able to do.

But I have two sets of bg pups in my guitars, the A3 rockwind tele set and the Pure90's in my LAG. They are truly fantastic pups. The pure90's are terrific and I didn't expect p90 type pups to be so versatile. The bridge pure90 is the best sounding bridge pup in my guitars.

Archived