Best Boutique Humbucker Pickups

burton4snow

• Members

... I usually have something for everyone. If you don't see what you'd like there's a great chance I can make it for you.

You can get more info on my pickups at

Thats one of the things that sets Bryan apart from the crowd, besides great tone, great customer service and the willingness and ability to deliver ... definitely not a one trick pony.

• Members

I'm a big fan of seth lovers, even though they arent really "boutique", just kind of pricey. For heavier stuff I also like the bareknuckle pickups, unfortunately I dont play any heavy music right now so I have no need for them.

I Love the Lovers as well. Pricier than BG's though

• Members

Back in the day no two PAFs were made equal and Gibson used 3 different alnico alloys, so infact most HBs wound to 7-9k would qualify as a vintage HB PAF-style.

I rather like the DiMarzio PAF and Air Classic for what they do. Clear and big sounding. Don't know what DiMarzio do to make that happen, but considering they were the pioneer in custom winding and replacement pickups I suppose they know a few things that I don't.

Then I hear those rather budget Stew-Mac pickups get rave reviews for pretty much nailing the alnico II and V PAFs in terms of tone and construction.

• Members

Wolfetone "winds em till you like em!". So in theory, everyone is a happy customer. Boutique pickups are nice but expensive for what you get. At a certain point pickups can't sound much better - a $10 Strat pickup might get a 35/100 score for tone while a $70 pickup might get a score of 85. Spend $100 for a single pickup and it might be a 90/100. Spend 150 and it might be a 92/100.

Basically there reaches a point where spending $100 on a new hand wound Strat pickup will sound not much different than the best original 1954 Strat pickup.

That said, I really like my Harmonic Design pickups. I have a BG pickup that sounds just as good too. And the pickups in my 60s RI Squier Telecaster Custom sound rather nice too! In comparison, stock MIM or even stock MIA Fender pickups don't do much for me - not the Texas Specials but just the regular model ones. I put a set of $60 GFS pickups in my Strat and was pretty impressed too.

• Members

Basically there reaches a point where spending $100 on a new hand wound Strat pickup will sound not much different than the best original 1954 Strat pickup.

That said, I really like my Harmonic Design pickups. I have a BG pickup that sounds just as good too. And the pickups in my 60s RI Squier Telecaster Custom sound rather nice too! In comparison, stock MIM or even stock MIA Fender pickups don't do much for me - not the Texas Specials but just the regular model ones. I put a set of $60 GFS pickups in my Strat and was pretty impressed too.

I hear what you say, and i fully agree with you.

So, with that theory in mind, how much will the new $1195.00 per set, pure Silver wound Zephyr Duncans score :D

http://www.seymourduncan.com/newproducts/zephyr-silver-pickups.php

• Members

I hear what you say, and i fully agree with you.

So, with that theory in mind, how much will the new $1195.00 per set, pure Silver wound Zephyr Duncans score
:D

http://www.seymourduncan.com/newproducts/zephyr-silver-pickups.php

Between an 85 to a 97. Depends on the ear of the player and what they like. ;) So yeah, they could in theory score lower than a $100 pickup. (do a few blind tests and I'm sure at least one person would prefer the cheaper pickup).

Archived