Good humbucker pickups for a Strat style body

burton4snow

• Members

Personally, in alder with a thin body, the JB is too harsh. Super Distortion is good and so is Duncan's custom custom. In fact, the custom custom is my favourite bridge pickup. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-sh-11-custom-custom-pickup?content=reviews

There are a lot of choices which makes it difficult.

I am not a fan of EMG actives or any actives for that matter. They don't respond well to picking dynamics for me. They chug well but lack the versatility of passives.

• Members

Yeah, I don't know why the Super Distortion doesn't get enough respect around here but it's really an ideal pickup for a bolt-on IMO. I have an f-spaced SD in my pink HK Strat (a thin agathis full scale Strat) and it sounds wonderful, very strong yet very classic sounding, great for that classic 70s sound. For punk, I prefer Duncan Custom, but for a more classic sound, SD all the way.

• Members

I'm gonna go against the prevailing thread here and suggest a couple of Dimarzio combos: I'd say that A) a pair of 36th Anniversary PAFs or B) an Air Zone bridge and a 36th Anniv PAF neck will do anything you're looking for and sound damned good doing it. I have experience with both of those pickups for very similar applications and they are everything I could have hoped for and more. The 36th Anniv PAFs are among the sweetest sounding hummers I've ever heard.

Archived