So long Dick Clark.

daklander

• Members

I don't think he contributed much of value at all. (except maybe some charity work or donations.) He did not discover unknowns, he did not promote the most worthy artists, he showed no evidence of having good taste. He even turned down a chance to have the Beatles on the show before Ed Sullivan.

"Yes Dick Clark did have segregation on American Band Stand. While Black artists were permitted to perform, only white dancers were allowed. They feared the backlash that might happen if Black boys danced close to white girls. Black teenagers were banned. There was a protest in the early 60's, I think it was 1963 (my parents were there as teens). Eventually Black teens were allowed."-Answers.com

• Moderators

Hard Truth,

I agree.

He was the Ryan Seacrest of another generation. No specific talent, but they "host" events. We associate things with them. For DC it was New Years Eve for a generation or two. That gave DC a special place in many peoples hearts and minds.

EB

Well EB, Seacrest is most certainly the Dick Clark of the current gen. Dick Clark is the archetype.

And Hard Truth, can you ever forgive Mr. Clark for not overturning generations of racism in a single stroke of his hand? He was one of the very first to feature black and white artists together on the same stage. And... one of the very first to feature a mixed audience. I'm sure he was sorry it wasn't sooner too. But reality being what it is...

Dick Clark was a broadcaster. One with a very cool niche. And he created that niche. And refined that niche. I had the distinct pleasure of him introducing my record on the Rate-A-Record segment in 1980. That memory remains a thrill and an honor.

• Members

Clark's impact was probably felt more on the entertainment industry as a whole than on music. He was one of the first "impresario" types with his hands in a bit of everything it seemed. For a few years there it seemed that if Clark wasn't hosting the show, then he was producing it. Seacrest gave him what seemed like a bit of a personal tribute last night on Idol. Obviously he's modeling his own career on Clark's...did Clark give him his first break or something as well?

But Clark did defninately help put rock music out into the public forefront. I was probably 11 when the first New Year's Rockin' Eve came on, and that was right about the age when I was finally old enough to stay up until midnight. It was so cool that there was something on besides Guy Lombardo. It really felt like a "generational shift" moment.

• Members

And Hard Truth, can you ever forgive Mr. Clark for not overturning generations of racism in a single stroke of his hand?

I don't hold it against him that he didn't fight to overcome racism. I just don't think he contributed anything significant musically or culturally. If another reasonably skilled, good looking TV personality was in his position, they would probably have had a career like his. He could have made more of a difference, but didn't bother. That is probably why he was so successful. He was famous, but not important.

• Members

I've seen a number of vids from the old Bandstand show since his passing and I have to say, I think he did a pretty good job. He gave exposure to some bands that never would have been played on mainstream pop radio at the time without a little help from the eternal teen (or his production/A&R staff).

I don't recall seeing Public Image Ltd on the show, but I was delighted when, much earlier, he had Talking Heads on. And I thought his interview with and performance by the Blasters was pretty great. No lipsynch on that one. ;)

Sure, I thought he was impossibly corny. And I certainly did notice the segregated shows even as a kid -- which was pretty much standard for all the teen dance shows back then. But within the parameters that defined that TV genre, I think he did a pretty good job, all in all.

Archived