Expensive Vs Cheap Guitars

PigWings_v2.0

• Members

I think people sometimes get too hung up on shiny new guitars. And they overlook one of the most important aspects: MOJO! Old used guitars simply have it! I don't know what it is. But it seems like old guitars just have the years experience infused into the wood. It's like it's very own soul! Which is one of the reasons why I only buy used guitars now.

I love new shiny case queens as well. I definately own a couple expensive axes but they just don't have the mojo until you start playing it for years.

So I present to you my most mojo-abundant axe, my 70s Epiphone acoustic!

gear024.jpg

Not only does this axe hold sentimental value to me, but it is blessed with MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MOJO!!! It has been played to death by my father who gave it to me when I started out. I've been doing my best to carry on this guitars legacy. It's probably not worth much money at all, but it's priceless to me.

gtar010.jpg

This aint no Fender Relic. That fretboard is worn through from actual playing! And this thing has been sounding better than ever! Like fine wine, acoustics really do sound better with age! Overflowing abundance of mojo!!

Post pics and stories of your most mojo filled guitar! It doesn't matter if it's a more expensive model. If it has history, play time, and a story behind than it has mojo!

Let's see what you have!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MOJO! Old used guitars simply have it! ...But it seems like old guitars just have the
years experience infused into the wood
. It's like
it's very own soul!
...but it is
blessed with MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MOJO!!!
...guitars legacy. ...Overflowing abundance of mojo!!

If that's mojo, then I'm calling bull{censored}.

:facepalm:

• Members

MOJO! Old used guitars simply have it! I don't know what it is. But it seems like old guitars just have the years experience infused into the wood. It's like it's very own soul! Which is one of the reasons why I only buy used guitars now.

{censored}. I thought mojo was venom from a taipan. Oh well, thanks for the explanation.

FierceSnakeOlive.jpg

• Members

bull{censored} that forumites latch onto to feel better about themselves.

Absolutely.

That said, I love a guitar that have a history and that's obviously had countless hours put into it. If "mojo" is shorthand for that, then i like me some mojo.

• Members

What I don't get is you see 300+ year old Stradivarius violins in amazing shape with hardly a nick, looking tastefully aged:

214px-Stradivarius_violin_front.jpg

And you know this thing must be fine because someone valued it enough continuously over centuries to give a {censored} about the instrument. Then here come a few idiots who couldn't take care of their instruments properly and now people ruin their new instruments to make their instruments look like that.

• Members

What I don't get is you see 300+ year old Stradivarius violins in amazing shape with hardly a nick, looking tastefully aged:

214px-Stradivarius_violin_front.jpg

And you know this thing must be fine because someone valued it enough continuously over centuries to give a {censored} about the instrument. Then here come a few idiots who couldn't take care of their instruments properly and now people ruin their new instruments to make their instruments look like that.

Fair point, but it wouldn't last long in my bar band. Beer, blood, sweat, beating drunks off the stage etc.

My Tele is holding up pretty well, all things considered....

• Members

That's fine. But that's not mojo, that's wear and tear and grime and gunk. That Stradivarius, what it has, that's mojo.

But also totally restored, possibly many times. That one has a new neck, fingerboard, tailpiece, bridge, probably soundpost and has more than likely been completely dimantled and rebuilt at least once.

It may have mojo, but it's mostly not Antonio's mojo. He probably wouldn't recognise it by sight, and definately wouldn't by sound.

• Members

This is my 1753 fiddle 'Made and Sold by John Johnson at the Sign of the Harp and Crown, Cheapside, London 1753'

It looks like it's been dragged backwards on a piece of string through every tavern in England. Most of the repairs are well over a century-and-a-half old now. Even the woodworm moved out one Sunday afternoon in 1871 (but left a hastily scribbled note saying the mojo was doing their heads in ;) )

40821765.jpg

9aa40b6f.jpg

I have to attach a mojo filter in order to play it.

This, on the other hand, is my tastefully 'reliced' reproduction 1716 Stradivarius, made last May.......looks the part.....but has absolutely zer0 mojo (whatever that is!)

a9019596.jpg

• Members

As far as beaters that sound good, yeah I gots 'em.

In the acoustic department, my '70's Yammy 12 string is the shiznitz. The harder you hit it, the better it sounds. Just BIG.

221884_10150184004153879_512618878_68684

Gots tons of mojoriffic electric axes. Prolly the beaterest is my Frankentele that a bud made into a string-through-- with a hand drill and a chisel!

FrankenteleRearSmaller.jpg

FrankenteleTopSmaller.jpg

The "luthier" who cobbled it together lent it to his son, who was playing in some sort of emoposerpopmetalguylinergirljeans band, and who apparently Townshended it on more than one occasion. They had a falling out at one point and somehow it returned to its daddy. While in the midst of finishing up an album, he ran out of money and sold the guitar to me for a Benjamin. I sunk another 50 or so bucks into it to get it playable, and the thing is dang near indestructible. Plus the Seymour Duncan mini in the neckbucker slot is one in-your-face rocker.

violet.jpg

In action playing middle support for 2004 Roach Motel reunion tour:

rm04silobk.jpg

Yeah, I went there.

:facepalm:

• Members

Is this thread about expensive vs cheap or new and shiny vs old and worn?

Mojo is nothing more than having all the sharp edges worn off, the shine dulled somewhat and everything that needs to be aligned, perfectly aligned. Fined tuned and settled-in...

Archived