A good "Super Strat"

EricJohn

• Members

Remember not to judge by the headstock. I had a Charvel Model 2 back in the 80s -- with the pointy headstock -- and there have been few guitars I've had in my hands since then that have surpassed the quality of the Charvel's neck and fretboard. The thing screamed.

Agreed. It's tough to beat the quality and feel of a model-series Charvel. I also like the toothpaste era Charvel guitars, but I think I prefer the necks on the Model series for some reason. I've been uber nostalgic for my '88 Model 3 lately. It's been gone since 1991; I miss it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Model series necks were ever so slightly fatter. The toothpaste era stuff was going after the Ibanez RG market, and the Wizard was THE neck at the time. Both boasted 17mm thickness at the first fret, but the Charvels had the compound radius fretboard. Because of that, I can play that Charvel for hours on end, but 10 minutes with a Wizard neck and that 16" radius {censored}, and I'm cramping up.

• Members

That would be very cool. I prefer a maple neck/fretboard.

How fast are you looking to buy? I am going to see the guitar tomorrow and I'll snap some pics. I played it, in fact i did the set up and electronics on it and I can tell that the pickup in that guitar will nail the brown with spades. Eddie's pickup was really hot not the wimpy ones that people tend to believe and what is offered in the after market world. It has a Fender Tele head stock but is all flame maple 1 piece neck. I remember the shape of the neck was a good not wimpy v shape. Fender style trem. My buddy lost his job and I was going to buy it from him but I need another guitar like I need another ex wife.

• Members

How fast are you looking to buy? I am going to see the guitar tomorrow and I'll snap some pics. I played it, in fact i did the set up and electronics on it and I can tell that the pickup in that guitar will nail the brown with spades. Eddie's pickup was really hot not the wimpy ones that people tend to believe and what is offered in the after market world. It has a Fender Tele head stock but is all flame maple 1 piece neck. I remember the shape of the neck was a good not wimpy v shape. Fender style trem. My buddy lost his job and I was going to buy it from him but I need another guitar like I need another ex wife.

Not in a rush at all. I want it to be the right one that feels just right, looks right and sounds.

• Members

Those G&L Rampage are GREAT GUITARS! That Toneking dude sure lacks good tone on eveything he touches. I don't get him and his reviews.

Yes. I was tempted to delete that vid after I posted it. He was using that raspy sounding Bugera (not that I don't like some Bugeras) for his demo.

Actually, I thought this vid was as good as any.

[video=youtube;sWqPoT2p_O8]

Neither the amp nor his recording device is top shelf but it gives you a bit of an idea of the guitars tone. Sounds like it's got a fair amount of nasally resonance to it. :thu:

• Members

I'd get a used MIM Hss Strat, should be able to get a +2008 one easy for $350.

Leaves change to get a really sweet bridge pickup, they are great guitars with the right pups.

Or new even,

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fender-Standard-HSS-Strat-Candy-Apple-Red-w-Maple-/190409112600?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c55447c18

Next I would look at one of the new Kramer Pacer Classic guitars, which are really solid imo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kramer-Pacer-Classic-New-Pearl-white-/120743775454?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1ce3ccde#ht_1735wt_941

Either way you would have a great axe for what you want.

• Members

I'd get a used MIM Hss Strat, should be able to get a +2008 one easy for $350.

Leaves change to get a really sweet bridge pickup, they are great guitars with the right pups.

Or new even,

Next I would look at one of the new Kramer Pacer Classic guitars, which are really solid imo.

Either way you would have a great axe for what you want.

I've actually been eyeing up those Kramers. I like those headstock better than the banana ones and I like the non-recessed Floyd.

• Members

Keep your eye out for one of those old Ibanez RG570s/550s/520s. Good trems, fast necks, and that's really the heart of a shred guitar. The quality on those MIJ Ibanez is good.

I LOVE the Ibanez necks and their jumbo frets. I'd love one of the 520's with 2 humbuckers.

• Members

Eddie's pickup was really hot not the wimpy ones that people tend to believe and what is offered in the after market world.

You couldn't be more wrong. Eddie's pickup was WEAKER than what is typically 'offered in the after market world'. It was from a Gibson 335 and had very moderate output. The hot pickup is the quick and easy way to get 80% of the sound but it is also the way to make it so that it is exceedingly difficult to get another 10% of the way there and pretty much impossible to get really close.

• Members

You couldn't be more wrong. Eddie's pickup was WEAKER than what is typically 'offered in the after market world'. It was from a Gibson 335 and had very moderate output. The hot pickup is the quick and easy way to get 80% of the sound but it is also the way to make it so that it is exceedingly difficult to get another 10% of the way there and pretty much impossible to get really close.

no sir i beg to differ, eddie rewound that pickup and that's the truth. when Fender took apart the original guitar for the specs and they read the pickup. this was documented in Guitar World magazine with pictures. they put a meter on the pickups with it set to 20K. the pickup read dead. they were jokenly calling it a Ghost pickup. impossible for a pickup to read dead and work. any pickup above the 20K mark would not register on the meter. eddie back in the day used to tell the story how he got some wire from a supply house and rewound the pickup using the original parts but backed off the story in later years until Fender did that story in GW kinda sealed the deal that the pickup was indeed HOT. now common sense comes to play with his signature guitars in later years always having hot pickups. 17-19K with his early MM's. to somewhere at 17K for some of the others. take a Plexi amp with no master volume and crank it and see if you bet the brown with a 9K pickup and then try it with a hot 18-19k pickup and see which will make you shake your head. common sense is not as romantic but hidden facts & common sense usaully lies the truth as well as doing it yourself.

Archived