Buying a Gibson Les Paul...

steveyoorock

• Members

After narrowing down my next main axe to be either a Telecaster or a Les Paul, I feel as though I am leaning towards the Gibson.

Can anyone provide me some tips as to what to look for in a Les Paul?

I have read this article regarding the quality control of Gibsons on this forum before and had me slightly worried.

Some people say that Musician's friend had a nice consistency over their instrument qualities, while others argued that one MUST try out the guitar before they buy it.

I have heard stories about Gibson's factories becoming flooded and their guitars not being up to par as of late. Can anyone toss me some advice? Thank you! :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, if you are looking to buy a Les Paul, unless you buy one from a decade pre-80s, you probably aren't going to get the sound gibson is known for. Modern gibsons really have fallen down the {censored}ter.

Honestly, I would rather have a modified Agile AL3000 than a Gibson 2011. Then again, I'm a rebel.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4452.html

• Members

Well, if you are looking to buy a Les Paul, unless you buy one from a decade pre-80s, you probably aren't going to get the sound gibson is known for. Modern gibsons really have fallen down the {censored}ter.

Honestly, I would rather have a modified Agile AL3000 than a Gibson 2011. Then again, I'm a rebel.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4452.html

I own 4 and have played many modern Gibsons, and while some of them have been sub par in quality (bad frets, fretboard hump etc), I cant say that Ive ever played a bad sounding Gibson :idk: (well excpet for an old studio with a JB in it, yeck...).

So yeah, while their current QC is definitely questionable, Gibson can still make one hell of a kick ass guitar- try before you buy yo :thu:

• Members

Ahh that's sucks to hear :-/.

I wonder why...

Thanks for the information, Guitarist+!

I wonder why their quality has gone down the drain as of late.

Ive seen and played just as many {censored}ty Fenders as I have Gibsons yet no one ever seems to complain about them... :idk:

• Members

I own 4 and have played many modern Gibsons, and while some of them have been sub par in quality (bad frets, fretboard hump etc), I cant say that Ive ever played a bad sounding Gibson
:idk:
(well excpet for an old studio with a JB in it, yeck...).

So yeah, while their current QC is definitely questionable, Gibson can still make one hell of a kick ass guitar- try before you buy yo
:thu:

I've never played a BAD gibson either. However I can say that every gibson I've played was overpriced, and I can ALWAYS find something better for the money.

If I had 1k-2k to throw on a guitar, a gibson is the LAST brand I'd look at

That's not to say that there aren't some great copies out there that are easily worth the money, though.

• Members

Ive seen and played just as many {censored}ty Fenders as I have Gibsons yet no one ever seems to complain about them...
:idk:

I can get a Fender MIM (HH, HSS, or SSS) for $500 and thats probably the best guitar in that price range for rock and even 70s metal.

Inorder to get a GIBSON, you would have to throw down a MINIMUM of like 800 dollars, and those are in no way better than the 500 dollar MIM Strats, unless you have a Gibson fetish.

If you're buying used, its even more of a blow out. Fender MIMs typically run 250-350 used in my area. The lowest priced used Gibson I've ever seen was like 650.

I'd take a Fender over a Gibson any day.

• Members

Do not listen to this crap, there are plenty of great Gibsons out there. If you can afford it go a custom shop, otherwise take a look at the traditional range, great guitars.

• Members

I can get a Fender MIM (HH, HSS, or SSS) for $500 and thats probably the best guitar in that price range for rock and even 70s metal.

Inorder to get a GIBSON, you would have to throw down a MINIMUM of like 800 dollars, and those are in no way better than the 500 dollar MIM Strats, unless you have a Gibson fetish.

If you're buying used, its even more of a blow out. Fender MIMs typically run 250-350 used in my area. The lowest priced used Gibson I've ever seen was like 650.

I'd take a Fender over a Gibson any day.

Fair enough, you prefer Fenders to Gibbys and theres nothing wrong with that, but to say that Gibson havent made any good guitars since the 70s is pushing it a bit far and spreading misinformation...

• Members

I have owned many Les Pauls and many telecasters ... currently, I own three of each. They are very different playing and sounding guitars. Either can bring you joy.

Although I have taken a chance and been lucky with Gibsons that I have ordered without playing .... my advice to you (do what I say, not what is do) is play the guitar you want to buy, before you buy it.

You'll know pretty quickly if it is worth the money you are spending.

• Members

So I'm not going to debate the price of a Gibson vs the competition etc,etc... Fact is the man wants a Gibson and I'm going to go ahead and make the leap of faith to assume that if he has the financial means to afford a Les Paul then he also most likely has the intelligence to understand it's value. So I'm going to move right past that.

The fact is this. Tube amps love Les Pauls. They don't really do chimey like a Strat but every thing else they handle pretty well. The thing is though about a LP, not everyone really feels comfortable playing them and I suppose that's another part of the exclusivity. There are some really great players that don't do well on LPs so if you can sling one well it does make somewhat of a statement.

As long as you have access to a good setup you should be Ok with MF. If it's really bad you can always send it back. Good luck!

• Members

There's a lot of {censored} being shoveled here.

I picked up my Junior new for $599. In a million years, I would have never considered myself a Junior guy, but at that price, for a guitar THAT good, there's no way I could. I've wasted a lot of time and money trying to make cheapass guitars sound as good as that little stripper, but, no way. Guitarist+, I think you need to go back to your MG10 with the gain dimed and stop giving advice where you have no business.

OP, If you want a Gibson, buy one.

Which models are you looking at?

EG

• Members

In my experience, the Gibson QC issue has been non-existent. I've purchased dozens of new Gibsons, most of them online and sight unseen, and the only issue I ever had was one bad 3-way switch.

As far as pricing goes, never pay sticker/street price (MAP). Whatever price you see on any of the online retailers (MF/GC/SamAsh/etc.) is too much for a new Gibson. You should be looking to haggle around 20% off of those prices when you buy (maybe 15% if you getting a low end model). I've bought, or known people that have bought plenty of new Les Pauls for at least 20% off MAP with minimal haggling.

• Members

Forget all the anti-Gibson hype. Gibson always has, and continues to make some of the best guitars around. If you want a Les Paul, buy it. Play a bunch and find the one for you. Don't limit your search to the big box stores like SA and GC. My experience is you are more likely to find the good Gibsons at smaller, privately owned stores.

• Members

I bought my first Les Paul (a Traditional) a couple years ago, and it's by far my favorite guitar. I could not be happier with it. However, I spent about six months shopping - I tried Flying Vs, SGs, PRSs and a couple other styles in addition to dozens of different LPs of all styles before I found "the one." My 2c:

Definitely try lots of guitars before you by one - even among Traditionals there was one specific one I bonded with. Probably largely the setup, but between any two instruments there are going to be small differences. I will mention that I'm more sensitive to the setup on my LP than any of my other guitars - if it's off, it just doesn't feel right at all. But if the setup is great, I could play it all day.

Don't get caught up in stats and descriptions. I would have sworn I wanted a thinner 60s neck, and I did like them, but the chunkier neck of the Traditional felt great in my hands. Other bigger-necked LPs didn't suit me at all. All I'm saying is don't discount a certain model because on paper it doesn't seem right for you. This happened to me when I was looking for a Suhr a couple weeks ago. The one I absolutely fell in love with didn't look right on paper at all, but it felt and sounded amazing.

Forget all the anti-Gibson hype. Gibson always has, and continues to make some of the best guitars around. If you want a Les Paul, buy it. Play a bunch and find the one for you. Don't limit your search to the big box stores like SA and GC. My experience is you are more likely to find the good Gibsons at smaller, privately owned stores

I couldn't agree more on both counts. I really liked the PRSs I tried, but I wanted a LP. If I bought a LP I'd still want one after I got the PRS. Definitely try other guitars, though, what you really want might not be what you think you want. Larger stores have a lot more guitars to maintenance, so it's tough for them to keep them all setup properly with fresh strings. Smaller stores (I bought mine at George's - a smaller chain) have less inventory so it seems to me they have better setups overall.

Archived