Best Speaker For a Hot Rod Deluxe?

steve_man

• Members

i think it depends on the tones you're after... i know you said cleans plus distortion... but how distorted?... do you just want mild breakup... or really heavy stuff?..... what kind of music do you play through it?

Mostly clean to moderate breakup. Occasionally, I'll crank up the gain a bit, but most of my playing live is at church...so can't go too heavy...:D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are a lot of versions of Emi "Legend" speakers, some better than others.

Eminence will build for an OEM as good a speaker as they're willing to pay for. I would say in most cases, post-Leo Fender (and in some cases Leo's FEI - like the crappy Oxford used in the Princeton from 1961 on) hasn't always been willing to step up to the plate for the best speaker for an application.

This be true as well. I'm not really sure if the companies Legend speaker has ever been spec'ed in a stock amp. And a Legend goes for, what, around 70 bucks now? Mucho bang for the buck IMO.

• Members

This be true as well. I'm not really sure if the companies Legend speaker has ever been spec'ed in a stock amp. And a Legend goes for, what, around 70 bucks now? Mucho bang for the buck IMO.

Hard to say. Back before Eminence pulled the plug on OEM's selling their own branded versions of Eminence speakers back in the 90's, you had Fender, Mojotone, New Sensor and several other folks all selling virtually idential 10" alnico speakers based on a P10R in your choice of paper or kapton bobbin. Guitar Player mag did a shootout of 10" alnicos one time, and half of their contestants were the same damn speaker. :lol::facepalm:

I'm sure that Emi sells it as one of their current lineup, but I don't know enough about their line to know which one - probably a Legend, but it could be one of their Patriot series. Depending on who you bought it from, you could get it for as little as $25 or so a pop back int he day.

• Members

Found the Canibus Rex for about $59 online, though...:idk:

• Members

I could quite possibly be the only person on this forum who doesn't like Vintage 30's.

I don't think so. I personally think they're the worst sounding speakers I've ever heard. Lots of people love them, though. There's no accounting for taste.

• Members

meh...shipping to Austin is $20...

Shipping to me in RI is also $20, but even so a total of $80 is the cheapest I can find the speaker going for.

Learning that some people don't like the V30 only further confuses me, being a speaker noob. Though I wouldn't have bought one new, too expensive for now.

• Members

I think if I were you, I'd go for the Cannnibis Rex. Sounds great for cleans and even better for edge of breakup and into maybe cranked Vox and cranked 18W Marshall type tones. I've actually never heard one with a Blackface-voiced amp as far as I know, but I've heard one in a Dr Z Maz 18 and the owner said that as much as he loved the amp, with the stock speaker, it always sounded slightly thin... as if he almost always had to keep the volume and tone on the guitar backed down to 6-8 to get a nice, full kind of tone without it sounding too dark. He tried one other speaker (I forget which) then TGP collectively recommended the Cannibis Rex, he loved it and he's gigged with it ever since.

The Legend is a solid speaker as well. Lots of folks talk smack about them, but I personally think that has more to do with the OEM versions, but even those can be pretty awesome in some instances. I personally hate the Blue Marvel. Not that it's not a decent speaker, but I've replaced 5 of them in my own amps and for friends and every single time, the new speaker that isn't broken in has always sounded better than the Blue Marvel. On the other hand, and I think I mentioned this either earlier in this thread or in one of your previous threads, I had a Crate V30 that came with the Celesion Seventy 80 and it wasn't bad, but I felt it was better for high-ish gain tones. I tried a Weber F150 in it and maybe one other speaker. Then I tried an OEM-branded Crate Eminence speaker and, almost like magic, the cleans were about 10 times better and the edge of breakup tones were absolutely perfect. And that speaker cost $10.

:lol:

Honestly, I'd say either the CR or the Legend will work much better for you than the Seventy 80. Between the two, I'd say if you want to tame the top end just a bit, I'd go for the CR. If you want to retain your highs, I'd go for the Legend.

• Members

Have 2 Warehouse Vet 30s in my HRDeville (with beam blockers). Great clean sounds and also really good with pedals in front for OD. Sounds pretty ok cranked too but that gets into severe earplug territory.

Couple vids to demo the sounds:

[video=youtube;_6O5YjzVzZM]

[video=youtube;KwuxdsvBWJw]

• Members

Shipping to me in RI is also $20, but even so a total of $80 is the cheapest I can find the speaker going for.

Learning that some people don't like the V30 only further confuses me, being a speaker noob. Though I wouldn't have bought one new, too expensive for now.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of V30s, myself. They have their place in certain amps...but I wouldn't put one in a Fender amp. When the cash comes along, I think I'm gonna try a Cannibus Rex. The guys at Eminence are awesome!

• Members

I worked at Bradlees (remember that name?) in NJ in 1988 in the hardware/car dept. I longingly remember those days fondly, bringing in my Black Sabbath and Dio tapes and trying them in different tape decks and using the cheap speakers with the push button display. They were crappy speakers for sure but you do have a good idea and I wonder why they haven't had these displays in guitar places considering guitar speakers are a bucketload more than the cheesy 4" or 6/9s of yesteryear.

Good question !

Eminence has something of the sort ; http://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/tone-center/

244_480_wide.jpg

• Members

Saw that display on their site, but I have never heard of or seen one otherwise. Do the big box stores even carry speakers in stock?

I've been checking out reviews and demos, and the Cannabis Rex seems to be the speaker of choice so far. There are others that sound good, and if a deal pops up on something I may have to try it out. There was a Cannabis Rex on eBay for about $80 used with free shipping from a reasonable-sounding guy, but that and $60 w/ $20 shipping are the cheapest I've seen.

• Members

I am in the speaker shopping boat myself now.

Looking at getting 2 speakers for my 50W Bassman head.

Emi Delta Demons/SwampThangs, Jensen Black Birds & Celestion Greenback G12H 55hz, are on my short list.

Looking for speaker that will add low end, for a slower, grungier Black Sabbath-like stoner riffing style of playing.

• Members

Okay, in looking at the Eminence website...I'm curious as to the difference between these two speakers...is the Canis new?

Newer.

Canis Major came out about two years ago.

It's a Red Fang with a Cannibus Rex cone. It's their Tone Tubby style. ~$230 because of the alnico ring magnet.

IIRC, they even listed a lower weight, lower cost neo-Mag version that I think never shipped.

Archived